• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Beginner's Gear Guide

Dec 22, 2020
Visit site
So I'm (a little) new to biking. I mean, I have a bike and it works pretty well, and I ride it around as necessary in the city (Pittsburgh).
I would like to do more touring rides and possibly commute (about 7 miles each way). I'm trying to figure out where to even start with gear outside a bicycle, helmet, and ULock.
I know I should have equipment for an emergency tire change, but I don't know what equipment that is, or where to store it, or what else to expect. Does anybody have a resource to point me in the right direction? What do you all carry with you on day rides that makes riding better, more comfortable, safer, better prepared?10.0.0.0.1

Last edited:
A saddle or handlebar bag. 2 spare inner tubes, small 'tire irons' to help remove the tire from rim, a small spoke wrench, air pump, whatever tools needed to remove wheels, a short length of rope (just in case it would be useful), a rag or paper towels to wipe your hands, a plastic bag to cover your hand from chain grease. Use a large size plastic vitamin bottle to hold the small bits. Good lights.