• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Behind the Grupetto

A

Anonymous

One correction to the video though, that was Stage 8, not Stage 12

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Really cool video, thanks for posting. That is actually one of the best things I have watched this Tour. Sincerely.

Me too. It would be nice if Versus showed a different persepctive from time and time. This is something they could add to their "expanded" primetime coverage.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Great video. I liked the drafting at 80kph and the constant encouragement from the car. Helping the other teams riders is really outstanding as well.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Really cool video, thanks for posting. That is actually one of the best things I have watched this Tour. Sincerely.

+1. Loved it. This kind of racing hurts, but you rarely see it on TV coverage. The encouragement from the fans and particularly the DSs car was great. No team rivalry, just a common cause, and eventual joy and relief, in beating the cut off time. Great stuff. Thanks.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Really Cool

So cool compared to the "stuff" we get through Versus. I do not think that their commentators can complete a whole sentence without saying Lance Armstrong.. at least twice.

My problem is not with Armstrong, but the effectively useless coverage we're getting about the race, because all focus is on him. Or any other american for that matter. When George Hincapie missed out on the yellow by 5 seconds, all interviews were around that and yet, in that same stage Mark Cavendish most likely lost the opportunity to wear green on the Champs Elysees. Can't Versus get interviews with non-amarican riders :confused:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Fantastic video...thanks for posting the link. I for one am following Kenny van Hummel very closely. As exciting as it is to see Contador and Schleck dominate in the mountains...I am more impressed with Kenny's perserverance and fortitude. He is truely a great rider with an iron will. I'm sure he has already won over many new fans with his never say die attitude!! Keep fighting Kenny...there are many who are getting inspiration from your struggle!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:
My problem is not with Armstrong, but the effectively useless coverage we're getting about the race, because all focus is on him. Or any other american for that matter. When George Hincapie missed out on the yellow by 5 seconds, all interviews were around that and yet, in that same stage Mark Cavendish most likely lost the opportunity to wear green on the Champs Elysees. Can't Versus get interviews with non-amarican riders :confused:
I love the game of golf - I suck, but I still love it, and I love watching it played well. That said, I turn off most of the coverage because Tiger Woods, the best golfer in the world by large margin, sucks up all the TV time. While I havent watched football for a while, I suspect there have been players (Beckenbauer) and teams (Manchester United) that suck up coverage in their home countries as well.

It is understandable. Those of us who revel in the minutia will always tune in, whereas the neophyte needs a 'hero' to follow.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

+1....Excellent post Klodi!! Lots of 'sticky' bottles handed out from the car!

Anyone who makes it to Paris is a Giant of the Road.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Enough complaining already about LA on Versus! Yes, they mention him constantly...it's an American network, showing a niche sport to an American audience. Thus all the furor over Hincapie as well. I was surprised that the LL pullout didn't have a bit more to it.

I have watched Canadian coverage of the Olympics, and I can report that they certainly make sure to show the full stories of every Canadian competing as well.

The video is almost exclusively from the French coverage, so don't blame them for the camera coverage, although they may have some control over which shot to show.

As for the comment about not talking with Cavendish, I can attest that we have had virtually daily interviews with him on Vs as well.

A

Anonymous

Three wheeler said:
Enough complaining already about LA on Versus! Yes, they mention him constantly...it's an American network, showing a niche sport to an American audience. Thus all the furor over Hincapie as well. I was surprised that the LL pullout didn't have a bit more to it.

I have watched Canadian coverage of the Olympics, and I can report that they certainly make sure to show the full stories of every Canadian competing as well.

The video is almost exclusively from the French coverage, so don't blame them for the camera coverage, although they may have some control over which shot to show.

As for the comment about not talking with Cavendish, I can attest that we have had virtually daily interviews with him on Vs as well.

Hey, why not delete the Armstrong posts on this thread and move them to the Armstrong thread. There is nothing here that has anything to do with him, and I for one am ready for other topics.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
This video brings me sweet (and painful) memories: after juniors in 2001 when I raced (tried) at elite/Div 3 professional, needless to say, I spent a lot of lonely kilometres chasing pelotons/groups :D

These guys, still averaged 38-39 kmh, over hilly 200 kms. Amazing:D

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
That's just a nice clip. Maybe if we all mail-assault Versus with the link they'll get an idea of what a special feature really is? Build real fan understanding so maybe some of them will stay around when the big names are gone?

As far as the video on Versus, the French feed shows the race the whole time. It's Versus choice to cut away. Hell, Paul and Phil still do coverage during the Versus crap for other English speaking channels around the world who might want to see some racing. Although I guess they hit the mute button there, too.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Finally I satisfied my curiosity, thx klodi. I have always wondered what happens at the back, how does the "fight with time" look like, and how is grupetto riding, and actually never seen something like that on Eurosport, unless it was s1 important that stood back.
Nice video

btw. Poor Koldo Fernandez from Euskaltel didnt manage to hold with those guys. It must be hard to realize u cant make it to the end.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MKirilenko said:
.......btw. Poor Koldo Fernandez from Euskaltel didnt manage to hold with those guys. It must be hard to realize u cant make it to the end.

Yes - you could see it in him, he was totally beat. He did go on to finish - but finished outside the time limit. An honourable exit- chapeau Koldo!

A

Anonymous

probably one of the best cycling videos ive seen in recent years.. I love stuff like that.. :D

TRENDING THREADS