• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ben Day - talk about a "wheelsucker"

Poor Ben Day! I'm amazed that he rode as well as he did with that sucka up his ****! http://is.gd/bQqVQ

tapeworm.jpg

I caught salmonella and Giardia during a race in Venezuela in the late-season one year, and it was a good 6mos before I felt strong again. And here the guy was unintentional host to a 4ft tapeworm for several years! :eek: Still, I do think it was a bit ambitious to go for a pedal immediately after dealing with the eviction of that unwanted tenant!

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Dam you beet me to it!

All I can say is that Ben can now understand how it is for Lance having to ride around with the entire Verses commentary team up is a$$.

53 x 11 said:
Dam you beet me to it!

All I can say is that Ben can now understand how it is for Lance having to ride around with the entire Verses commentary team up is a$$.

Aww man, sorry! I didn't mean to filch your idea for a thread. Next time text me when you're ruminating on the topic for a post here and I'll make sure to holster the keyboard and let you get to it.

Someone needs to get a picture of Ben Day looking all done in and whacked going up a mountain or something like that, and then start a caption contest around it based on the tapeworm theme.

Another great quote:

“I had a dangler,” Day said. “I had to pull it out. It was three or four feet long, at least. It was white and flat, like a ribbon. I just told myself not to think about it, just do it, just get it done. I honestly don’t know if I got it all or it just snapped off. The thought of it still makes me cringe.”

The "I just told myself not to think about it, just do it, just get it done" line sounds like something out of a Lance/Nike media training handbook. lol :p

joe_papp said:
Aww man, sorry! I didn't mean to filch your idea for a thread. Next time text me when you're ruminating on the topic for a post here and I'll make sure to holster the keyboard and let you get to it.

Someone needs to get a picture of Ben Day looking all done in and whacked going up a mountain or something like that, and then start a caption contest around it based on the tapeworm theme.

Another great quote:

“I had a dangler,” Day said. “I had to pull it out. It was three or four feet long, at least. It was white and flat, like a ribbon. I just told myself not to think about it, just do it, just get it done. I honestly don’t know if I got it all or it just snapped off. The thought of it still makes me cringe.”

The "I just told myself not to think about it, just do it, just get it done" line sounds like something out of a Lance/Nike media training handbook. lol :p

Day’s ambitions for Gila changed, however, last Saturday after he extracted a four-foot tapeworm from his anus while on the toilet. Following the extrication, which he described as “an out of body experience,”

A couple of great paragraphs in that story.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow. :eek: That cannot have been much fun. I've picked up parasites from traveling in 3rd world countries, but nothing like that. Nasty nasty stuff. Hope he recovers quickly.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
it gives me the heebee jeebies and you just wonder how he got it. nasty.

I know that there are lots of different ways to pick up different kinds of parasites. Everything from contaminated food and water to coming into contact contaminated grass/dirt through an open wound. I think even some species can even enter through unbroken skin like if you where walking through grass barefoot. With all the traveling these guys do it's if anything surprising more of them don't pick up stuff like this, or maybe they do but don't know it or are misdiagnosed

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I passed a roundworm after racing in Mexico, its scary and then its kinda funny.

I wondered why I was loosing weight and getting weak.....

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Wow...like, why wouldn't you go straight to the ER after passing a four-foot tapeworm? At that point the last thing I'd want to do was pedal. :eek:

I was thinking the same thing after reading that.......I wouldn't mind losing some weight, just not in that manner.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I passed a roundworm after racing in Mexico, its scary and then its kinda funny.

I wondered why I was loosing weight and getting weak.....

How fast was that roundworm going when you passed it ?

(Sorry ... could not resist :p )

You would think that with all the drug tests that cyclists have to undergo that something would have come in a bit off and they could have followed it up to find out that he had a 4 foot long worm living in him. By the way, I think that if you are carrying around a huge parasite, then you should be allowed to use any drugs/blood doping that you want as you already have a very unpleasant foreign substance in you that evidently was legal.

TRENDING THREADS