• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ben O'Connor: Baby face becomes conqueror

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hindley finished 2nd in a mirage race and has done nothing else riding for GC. He's terribly over-rated on the basis of one fluke result - O'Connor should have got a top 10 in the 2018 Giro and has slowly improved his capabilities riding for GC in one week stage races but has not yet reached Haig's level, though this could happen in the future.
I mostly agree although Hindley also had a great TdU. I'm not sure what's going on with him this year, think he crashed or was hurt in or before the Giro (too lazy to check) but I'm not quite ready to call him overrated on the basis of one great and one not good year.

I'd still label all 3 with the "potential" tag bc only Hindley has actually had an absolute top level result, even if the Giro field was weak he still went out and did it...

Hindley finished 2nd in a mirage race and has done nothing else riding for GC. He's terribly over-rated on the basis of one fluke result - O'Connor should have got a top 10 in the 2018 Giro and has slowly improved his capabilities riding for GC in one week stage races but has not yet reached Haig's level, though this could happen in the future.
Both have shown more than Haig in GTs. Haig is a very good rider, but O'Connor and Hindley are both better.

Really enjoyed his blog entry for the last week, his suffering on Ventoux ("I hate Mont Ventoux ") which he attributes to the heat getting to him, and his pride at being in the final shakeup with the top 5 or 6 gc guys on Sunday.

Not sure if you can fluke a result that takes place over such a long period as three weeks.

By that logic Tao and Hindley would be comfortably top 10 on GT right now. I'm still not ready to pass final judgment on all 3, but O'Connor is looking the best right now. He doesn't seem to have any quit in him.

I posted at the beginning of the year that I doubted Tao was good enough to be in the INEOS TDF squad - And he has struggled !

You are misrepresenting my post about the 2020 Giro - It was a mirage because TGH and Hindley performed well above their level which has been reflected in their 2021 results while Kelderman rode to his level in the 2020 Giro - You do have fluke results in cycling and other sports - Anyway, I'm more confident about O'Connor translating his results into future GT's.

O'Connor probably needs a few more seconds but can't be disappointed with his first Tour. i'm 50/50 whether he stays in the top five after the TT maybe 40/60. But the last TT often comes down to fatigue more than TT talent so he still has a chance.

O'Connor now 4th on GC since Uran cracked today. Finished in same time as Kelderman. But he has only 32 seconds on Kelderman not sure if that enough to hold off in the TT. We will see.

Last edited: