• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BEST and WORST team performance in 2011 tour

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Leopard Trek did a great job on stage 18, but it doesn't excuse the truckload of fail they brought to Plateau de Beille.

They really tried hard to lose this race for two and a half weeks, then they realised they actually might, so bucked their ideas up.

Nah, you're giving them too much credit.

On Thursday morning Andy knew he had already lost the tour, so he did something stupid in the hope it might help Frank. He did not expect to gain 2 minutes out of it.

There is no bravery when there is nothing to lose.

I hope he realises how successful it was and rides like that when he thinks he can win in future, but I'm not holding my breath.

These guys have made the tour for me. !

Contador ( i guess ASO is pretty fund of letting him race, had a big part of the show we have seen in this tour 2011)
Hushovd
Voekler
Andy (yesterdays stage)
Evans (showed big heart the last few days)
hoogerland (or what his name is, the guy who barb-wire-dives like dolphins)
Gilbert (also, seems like a jokefull person with a glimt in his eyes.)

The biggest let down this tour, is for me Saxo bank Sungard, sure I know they from a neutral perspective have done it okay and have got a lot of sponsor exposure, and offcourse many proteams like Radioshack / Rabobank / Astana / Liquigas / Katusha and some others have been fare worse.
And if you expect to see Saxo teams in breakaways and so, you dont understand there team tactics (its all about Contador, and all effort and strengt burn should be in direct context to him, and here they didnt deliver)

But still, im dissapointed because Saxo is normally the team that take the race and truely made it and been the top creating-team the last many years..
(from a ordinary viewer perspective, I just want some awesome and fascinating racing, and here Saxo has the last years been the frontrunner)

so expected a lot and have as a viewer been spoiled the last years with impressing beautiful team-riding and offcourse it obvius that it will have effect when they loose the hole back-bone of the 2010 team to 2011 (6 of 9 2010 tour-riders to leopard) and cant upgrade with new riders, when the first got finansiel at place late 2010 when all was signed on other teams.

But still had high expactations... and here the team was for me a let down..
Sure there allready have won "Flandern" with Nuyens and taken the 2 ranked Grand Tour this year aka. "Giroen" and also Contador made this tour2011 very exciting and have so much respect for that mentality Contador keeps showing this tour and that he just didint cut his losses and went home and say goodbye to the tour 2011 when he realised that he wasnt on top, clearly remember how all the experts was sure after the first 1 stage and his timeloose +1.30 min. that it was likely that he now would quit´ -but he didnt, he keept on fighting and give me as a viewer one hell of a show "thx champ" (so offcourse not many teams have taken more this year and Saxo bank SunGard couldnt count on if the Tour truely should be a factor this year, and first got greencard for captain contador after Giro, and have to go all in at the Giro.)
But still expected more from Saxo bank SunGard. :rolleyes:

Best team this Tour = Saxo bank 2010/2009/2008 aka. Leopard 2011 (voigt showed big locomotive-heart..;)
and Europcar, supprinsingly strong from riders there newer have been in this league and suddenly was the strongest team, impressive teamriding this tour.
Garmin and Omega / Lotto also did there sponsors proud in this 2011 tour...

TRENDING THREADS