• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best cycling films?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 1, 2022
Visit site
Not all films can be just about cycling; some only feature the bicycle but are closely connected with the characters. After all, the bicycle is not just a professional sport. The bicycle is available to everyone, so it can easily fit into any story. Last time, I watched The Flying Scotsman on the movie site https://www.999flix.com/movie. I liked the quality of the movie and the no commercials. This biographical film tells the story of world champion and two-time world record holder in the hour race, Graham Aubrey. I would love to watch this movie again in the future.

Last edited:
Also: the story of the greatest cycling film never made? Or would it have been cycling's Escape to Victory?

The Yellow Jersey

It was to be based on a 1970s novel of dubious quality:
Speaking to the press about their source material, Hurne's novel, Hoffman and Welland were quite scathing about The Yellow Jersey. "They say, the better the book, the worse the film; the worse the novel, the better the film," offered Hoffman, while Welland was even more blunt: "I cannot say I am impressed by the book but we won't know what we have until I finish the first draft." You imagine all anyone in Hollywood saw in the novel was a title and the basic plot idea. And they'd probably have changed the plot. And the title.

Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate) was down to direct. Dustin Hoffman (Tootsie) was down to star. Jørgen Leth (some obscure Danish films) was onboard as adviser / second-unit director. Carl Foreman (High Noon) was the producer. Colin Welland (Chariots of Fire) was writing the script.

The whole thing got stuck in the Hollywood turnaround gyratory system. At one stage Harrison Ford was talked of as starring. At another point Mickey Rourke was actually signed to star. But .. it never happened. Leth shot some second-unit background stuff at the Tour in 1986 but after the production company went bankrupt all that footage got lost in the vaults.

Reactions: StryderHells
Also: the story of the greatest cycling film never made? Or would it have been cycling's Escape to Victory?

The Yellow Jersey

It was to be based on a 1970s novel of dubious quality:

Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate) was down to direct. Dustin Hoffman (Tootsie) was down to star. Jørgen Leth (some obscure Danish films) was onboard as adviser / second-unit director. Carl Foreman (High Noon) was the producer. Colin Welland (Chariots of Fire) was writing the script.

The whole thing got stuck in the Hollywood turnaround gyratory system. At one stage Harrison Ford was talked of as starring. At another point Mickey Rourke was actually signed to star. But .. it never happened. Leth shot some second-unit background stuff at the Tour in 1986 but after the production company went bankrupt all that footage got lost in the vaults.
Your mentiong Jorgen Leth reminds me to watch possibly the 'greatest cycling film ever made' again.

Reactions: Monte Serra