• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best doped up performance of the year award (2014)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

the nominations are..

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Who else came up with something grotesque as Horner? Half dead/injured/sick, old, improving past 40... Sorry I don´t see it. Maybe in Bodybuilding and WWE such strange things happen too. But I don´t count those freak shows as sport.

So you are saying pro cycling is not a freak show? Are you sure you wanna go there..?:)

You have not seen anyone else than Horner riding grotesque? I will not spend time arguing then..

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Keith+Richards+Glastonbury+Festival+2013+Day+XxVI7iKF4iTl.jpg

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
Why should Horner have access to products that the others don't? Every Top GC rider dopes at the limit of the regulations. Do you think big teams like Sky or Tinkoff don't give the best of the best to their stars?
Or that Contador/Froome/ Nibali have worse doctors than Horner?
It doesn't make sense.

He isn't half dead. He declines very slowly. It must be a combination of factors. Of course he didn't "exploit" his full potential - in every way - when he was at the peak of his physical ability.

I think Horner is wayyy over the top. He seems not to care if dying tomorrow or less dramatically getting caught.
I mean we all know there is/were crazy dopers (like Gianetti, Rijs, Virenque and Horner), medium dopers (like Järmann who did the necessary thing EPO but not more) and the clean guys (like Casar, Moncoutie, Bassons, and many young riders of today. If they were all over the top like Horner they would ride him into dust off the road. No way for him winning the ToC, leave alone the Vuelta)...

Samson777 said:
So you are saying pro cycling is not a freak show? Are you sure you wanna go there..?:)

You have not seen anyone else than Horner riding grotesque? I will not spend time arguing then..

No I don´t think so. Again I come up with Järmann "If there was no doping tests riders would die (like in Bodybuilding/WWE kind of stuff)"...

When did I say that no one else comes up with grotesque performances? :confused:
This thread is about "best" doped up performance of 2014. For me the clear winner is Horner, doing the trick TdF-CG-17th with little race days, kaputt lungs, bronchial infections, and injured legs at age 40something, riding as "warm up" for the Vuelta defence and in support of Costa... It can´t get much more obvious and insulting than that. The most grotesque full blown doping performance of 2014. No more, no less...

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
sniper said:
the not normal boxes, perhaps?

Former Vuelta winner, winner of 6 other GTs, with demonstrably great form on the season, wins 2014 Vuelta by just 70 seconds, and THAT hits all the "not normal" boxes?

Nibali thrashes a bunch of wanna be's but made it look like a training ride and Contador's miraculous recovery beating Froome who was not at his best but got better as the Vuelta progressed. Those were standouts. Not sure what to make of Majka, it was all a bit comical and Valverde's ability to be competitive all year has to be up there as well and he probably should have won even more races than he did, with a bigger brain. Unfortunately we did not get the chance to see Horner strut his stuff in the Vuelta once again.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
And yes, the inclusion of Dan Martin in the poll but not some of the other monument winners (who also beat dopers) is very transparent behaviour from sceptic that ruins his own thread.

No, it makes this thread great.

Voting for Dan solely because he has become the obvious doper Clinicians most vigorously defend as clean.

Performances most likely to leave me chuckling when watched in a few years with the benefit of hindsight? How about Majka, straight off a 6th place in the Giro, dragged kicking and screaming to the Tour at the last minute where he saunters to two stages and the mountains jersey.

Or Rogers, another doing the Giro and Tour back to back and bagging 3 stages. No wonder Tinkoff thinks it's possible to do all 3 grand tours!

Honourable mention to Nibali too, crap season until he got a letter from Vino saying cheat better or else, does enough 'preparation' to go toe to toe with Bertie and the Dawg, then sticks out like a sore thumb once they drop out.

Froomedog disappointed me this year, even in stage 2 of the Dauphine he only finished 4 seconds ahead of Kelderman. A big part of the Sky way seems to be overtraining, borrowed from swimming (look how young those guys are when they retire) - run them into the ground and they'll do great for a while. Wiggins improved again this year after his post-2012 crash so maybe Froome will come back too. Contador back to the top of his game and Vibali flying might give him the incentive he needs to really go full genius in 2015.

Another honourable mention goes to Wiggo at the Tour of California, a race with famously flimsy testing. The time trial was one of the silliest things I've ever seen, closely followed by his solo recreation of the 2012 Sky train on Mt Diablo, with him playing the role of Boasson Hagen, Rogers, Porte, and Froome at the same time, much like Peter Sellers playing multiple characters in the same film.

In the poll I voted for Contador as a proxy for the whole dirty Tinkoff team, but on reflection I cast my vote for Valverde, a one man rebuttal to the idea that doping makes for more exciting races. I'll be overjoyed when him and Purito finally retire.

Re: what was said about Horner above, I think finishing 17th ahead of a bunch of domestiques in a Tour with hardly any time trialling is one of the more credible things he's done.

What would I like for 2015? Throw out the concept of anonymity and have every athlete's test data publicly available online - all passport data, all test dates, all negative scores under the threshold for threshold based tests, all TUEs. Maybe if it was public knowledge how close to the sun some guys are flying, there might be more pressure to do something about it. Zero chance of it happening though.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
vedrafjord said:
Re: what was said about Horner above, I think finishing 17th ahead of a bunch of domestiques in a Tour with hardly any time trialling is one of the more credible things he's done.

If he did that aged 23, instead 43... yes sure, a talented young domestique good enough to get a TdF invitation (something Horner completely lacked when young & healthy) showing up front is very plausible.
But you miss the point here: Space-Cowboy-Alien did it at an age most superstars (doped or not) could not hold wheels and had to retire at 37/38 latest. The last in line is Evans. So how can Horners performance be credible at all? Especially with bronchitis and injured lungs/legs? It´s simply beyond me... But you may have a resonable explanation. :rolleyes:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I think Horner is wayyy over the top. He seems not to care if dying tomorrow or less dramatically getting caught.
I mean we all know there is/were crazy dopers (like Gianetti, Rijs, Virenque and Horner), medium dopers (like Järmann who did the necessary thing EPO but not more) and the clean guys (like Casar, Moncoutie, Bassons, and many young riders of today. If they were all over the top like Horner they would ride him into dust off the road. No way for him winning the ToC, leave alone the Vuelta)...

No I don´t think so. Again I come up with Järmann "If there was no doping tests riders would die (like in Bodybuilding/WWE kind of stuff)"...

When did I say that no one else comes up with grotesque performances? :confused:
This thread is about "best" doped up performance of 2014. For me the clear winner is Horner, doing the trick TdF-CG-17th with little race days, kaputt lungs, bronchial infections, and injured legs at age 40something, riding as "warm up" for the Vuelta defence and in support of Costa... It can´t get much more obvious and insulting than that. The most grotesque full blown doping performance of 2014. No more, no less...
Okay, then I misread what you were saying, if that was not your point. I appologize.

Still does not agree that Horner is the most grotesque. Or understand why the focus should be so much on him, rather than 50 other guys, who are also "obivously doping..

To me pro cycling is a freak show. But okay, if riders have to die because of the drugs, I guess there is still "improvement" to be made. I will give you that.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Not sure what to make of Majka, it was all a bit comical.

This struck me as pretty weird at the time watching it,all that smiling at the camera with thumbs up when everyone else was on the limit,the whole "i'm not going to the Tour,i am too tired from the Giro" stuff then turning up and blowing everyone away in the mountains,downright brazen behaviour,a sort of you know i am juiced,i know i am and who the hell cares.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I voted Nibali - so many doping cases in Astana stacking up, smashing what was left of the contenders in the tour....Yet he can still take the anti doping patter to the masses and have them believing...well almost :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Samson777 said:
Okay, then I misread what you were saying, if that was not your point. I appologize.

All good. :)

Samson777 said:
Still does not agree that Horner is the most grotesque. Or understand why the focus should be so much on him, rather than 50 other guys, who are also "obivously doping..

We dont have to agree OFC...
But for me Horner is the King of the hardcore dopers. Wouldn´t surprise me if he is on artifical blood like Gianetti was, or does go way over limits with his BB intake (just have a look at all those absurd interviews; it seems his veins are about to explode from all the extra blood he is carrying ;)).

I mean only small doses of BBs? Where would he take the advantage from vs his younger and more fit opponents if he "just" does the same as them? That is illogical...

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Best doped up performance of the year:
Dauphine stage 2 - AC vs CF.

Honorable mentions:
- Valverde's picking form multiple times this season.
- Aru vs Quintana during Giro's MTT.
- Majka's Giro->Le Tour->Tour of Poland->USA Pro Challenge sequence.
- Spilak vs CF during TdR stage 3.
- Contador blowing everyone else on T-A .

I also wanna vote for the asian boot. He even made a thread with a poll. But of course made the rookie mistake, to forget the Vino option.

Otherwise, good to see Walsh is doing so well. Should he end up winning, I'm sure he will make good use of "Cookson approved get out of jail TUE free card to be used at any point in the 2015 season. " Perhaps he will borrow it to Froome, so he can destroy Le Tour with no worries.

Samson777 said:
I also wanna vote for the asian boot. He even made a thread with a poll. But of course made the rookie mistake, to forget the Vino option.

Otherwise, good to see Walsh is doing so well. Should he end up winning, I'm sure he will make good use of "Cookson approved get out of jail TUE free card to be used at any point in the 2015 season. " Perhaps he will borrow it to Froome, so he can destroy Le Tour with no worries.

I have made liberal use of the Vino option, and gotten some laughs from it apparently.

That said, the Walsh option is a STRONG new contender. I look forward to seeing the creative mockery that this group can come up with. Well deserved IMO.

I applaud your effort here.

TRENDING THREADS