• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Giro of all time?

I am not going to lie, Giro is by far my favorite race in cycling, always has been, in fact this is what got me into cycling when my uncle showed me Zoncolan battle in 2007 on Eurosport and I was immediately hooked. So I wanted to ask you - what do you consider to be the best Giro ever, and for that matter also - the worst one?

The GOAT for me has to be 2010. First the insane Montalcino stage, then the famous L'Aquila breakaway, and you know the rest. Basso on Zoncolan, then the Kronplatz MTT, then Mortirolo, this was just the best, never seen anything like this, beatiful race.

2015-16 are both excellent races for me too. 2015 had that awesome 60km ITT, Aru/Landa constantly attacking Contador, Mortirolo, Aru finally winning on Cervinia, Contador being in trouble on Finestre, hell, the semi mountain were very intruiging too - stage 18 w/Monte Ologno and a long descent saw Contador attacking outta nowhere and gaining a minute on both Astana leaders. In 2016 you had another excellent route, but what made this race so special to me was Krujswijk, a man no one predicted to even be a threat to Nibali, Uran etc., and yet before stage 19 happened, he was +3minutes in front of Chaves and Valverde. I love stuff like this, I feel so sorry for the Agnello incident, but this is cycling - anything can happen, and in retrospect that is what made this stage so famous. Then Nibali coming back like United in 99 with two quick goals (last two stages ofc) and winning the Giro for the second time ever.

What else did I like? 2011 had an INSANE route, altough it was one-sided and well, you know what happened there, I loved the race at the time. 2008 was also a great race, same about 2007. Haven't watched the whole race at the time ofc, but just solely because of the Sestriere stage, I have to guess 2005 belongs at the top of the list as well.

Time for the ok stuff, which is the 2017, 13 and 09 camp. I could never get into 2009 race, in my opinion the final week just kinda sucked. 13 had a fine route and as a Nibali fan I enjoyed it for what it was, but it wasn't a great race. This year just disappointed me as a whole, expected more, the GC battle was close, but just wish it was more than that, if that explains it. Oh and you know what was cool? One of the stages in the first part of week 1 was coming through the city my grandmother and grandfather live in & place I go to like every second summer, so that was cool. Also Nibbles attacking on Tre Cime was so badass man, don't @ me.

And the bad? That is 2012 for me. I know many probably loved that race, the route was very promising, but the race didn't deliver at all, maybe it's just me, but I was bored. No time bonuses, very little gaps, Mortirolo-Stelvio stage being..kinda meh, just don't consider this as a good race. 2014 was Aru winning a Montecampione stage which was cool af, then the most infamous stage in recent history of this sport, and then a borefest on Zoncolan (Uran not trying to do anything more than wheelsucking? wow this is new let me tell ya), not a good one here. From what I see as well 2004 had an awful route, 2006 was Ivan Basso & 180 other riders, and I guess that is all I can say.

TL;DR - 2010 Giro = GOAT, 2015, 16 and 07 were imo excellent races, 2012, 14 and 04 are meh af. Now tell me what ya think about the best thing in cycling, which is Giro d'Italia

Im with you a long way there. 2010 was the best edition, but the race I enjoyed the most was 2015 due to the fact I watched pretty much all stages. But no doubt in my mind that 2010 was the best race overall, well, most likely the best GT while I have followed cycling, but I didn't get to watch so much of that GT outside of the weekends.

2012 dead last, horrible race all around. I liked 2007, 2008 and 2011 as well with 2016. 09 very mediocre, 13 the same, 17 an okay race.

Well I feel like I mentioned that I started watching cycling in 2007 and don't feel like comparing older stuff to the one I actually watched multiple times, but whatever. I mean that's mainly why I made this post, to see what people who did watch the stuff like Merckx/Fuente or Pantani at his peak think is the best/worst overall

Yes, the OP should read "best Giro of this century", or "in recent history".

I love Italian races in general, the Giro of course, and it often is the setting for epic fights. In recent years, yes, 2010 was great. The field (which often is quite weak, unfortunately) was loaded with Basso, Cuddles, Vino, the Italian Duo, wow. Memorable on many levels: the jersey changed shoulders many times, mythic stages, so memorable...Porte finished it :D .

I liked '07 as well. Great Andy Schleck (his performance on Monte Zoncolan was insane), mutant performances all over, Piepoli at a Pantani level plus he looked much better riding a bike, I truly enjoyed it.

But looking further in time, '94 is to this day my favorite. Two-time defending champ BigMig gets his axed-murdered by Evgeni Berzin. Destroyed against the clock. Check stage 4 on YouTube: insane Berzin. 2nd overall was new comer Marco Pantani. The break-through. First pro win on stage 14, wins Stelvio-Mortirolo-Sta Cristina queen stage the next day to Aprica...one of the greatest wins in Pantani's career (of course L2A-TdF has to be #1), a gem, a beauty.

I liked '87's intrigues, but '85 was better: Hinault avenges Fignon ;) .

Before '80, I don't know.

Re:

Gerrard Slipped haha said:
Well I feel like I mentioned that I started watching cycling in 2007 and don't feel like comparing older stuff to the one I actually watched multiple times, but whatever. I mean that's mainly why I made this post, to see what people who did watch the stuff like Merckx/Fuente or Pantani at his peak think is the best/worst overall
Fair enough. And welcome on the forum, by the way. I read a lot about older editions, but as you implied, you have to watch it to really get it, and sometimes have to see it to believe it (or not believe it ;) - no doping talks on this forum by the way).

It's a fantastic race and hopefully some members older than me :) can describe earlier editions. No doubt the '72 Giro was one for the ages. Better than anything we have seen.

I started watching the Giro live since 1997 (Vuelta as well) and since then I have rated all GCs on basis of four marks: Route (28%), Level of GC contenders (28%), GC fight (28%) and contribution of the Dutch riders in stages and GC (14%) .

Esp the Noughties editions suffered from a very limited and mainly Italian field of GC contender while before and esp the last few years more international GC aces are joining in. Giro route design has always been a strong point in comparison with the Tour & Vuelta using the beautiful Italian peninsula with mountains and hills everywhere, a nice diversity of TTT, ITT & MTT, flat, hilly and mountain stages including important GC stages in the first days of the Giro. The fight for the overall win was in most years rather dull in comparison to the Vuelta but better than the Tour. And the Dutch riders were hard to find in the late 90s and 00s but esp. the last few years things have turned around.

For me the best three Giros in the period from 1997 were the 2017 (score: 8.2), 2016 (8.0) & 1999 (7.9) editions. The last one was the Giro where Pantani dominated the nice designed race until he was expelled at Madonna di Campiglio when the GC battle between Gotti, Savoldelli & Jalabert erupted in the last mountain stage over the Mortirolo. And we saw some Dutch sprinter wins including a pink jersey. The dullest editions for me were 2006 (5.9), 2012 (6.3) & 2002 (6.5). 2006 saw a complete dominance of Basso from start till finish with the lukewarm fight for the podium by Simoni and the doubtful Guterriez . Also taking into account the bad weather this was not an edition that was nice to watch. The GC field in 2012 was very extremely weak and although that route was ok it never caught my attention. The 1997 route was not that interesting with only a hilly time trial to San Marino at day 3 and a mountain top finish at Terminillo at day 5 and then the long waiting started until the peloton hit the mountains only at stage 14. The GC fight between Gotti & Tonkov that followed was rather limited while the other GC contenders were nowhere to be seen.

1994 and 2005 for me.

1994 Stelvio - Mortirolo - Santa Cristina - Aprica stands out as the best (designed) stage of all time. Plus kerosene fueled racing at it's best every day. Just thinking of how jensattacks would have featured it on twitter made me laugh hard.

2005 with Basso dying on Stelvio, Rujano/Parra going absolutely bonkers, Di Luca riding like the devil, Savoldelli flying down Finestre etc.

RedheadDane said:
Tonton said:
Yes, the OP should read "best Giro of this century", or "in recent history".

I'd say "in recent history" is better. After all "this century" is only since 2000.
Actually, since 2001. There was no year 0 so the first century lasted from year 1-100 and so on. This century started in 2001 and will end in 2100.

To the point: I haven't seen every Giro ever, but 2010 is the best of those I've seen. Seen every Giro since 07.

The Giro is my favourite race, too. I have been watching every Giro since 2008. For me, the best editions I've seen are 2010, 2015, 2016, 2017

2010 - My username tells everything about it. I have been rooting for Ivan and Liquigas since 2009 and watching him kill everyone on Zoncolan was an unforgettable occasion. After that the way they destroyed everyone on Mortirolo and Ivan took pink was just awesome.

2015 - That Giro was amazing. On every stage happened something significant. Aru having difficulties during the second week and in the end winning two stages. AC having to dig really deep on Finestre.

2016 - Since Giro 2010, I started rooting for Lo Squalo, too. The way he suffered till Agnello because of media, pressure, death of Rosario Costa (a kid from his junior cycling team), etc. was very hard to digest. I had hardly any intention to watch the Giro after Alpe di Siusi. During the stage to Risoul, I was playing table tennis with a couple of friends. For a moment, I decided to check how the stage was going on... and when I saw "Kruijswijk 2.00 down on Nibali", I quickly came home to watch the end. Watching Vincenzo win atop Risoul and cry after the finish will remain in my memory for good. The following day was probably the most emotional one for me as a cycling fan. The hug between Vincenzo and Esteban's parents was touching. The sceneries in all mountain stages were stunning.

2017 - Even though Vincenzo didn't win, this Giro also stands high for me. Big Tom may never be a favourite of mine, but the way he climbed Umbrail after his stomach issue was respectable. His win atop Oropa was stunning. Vincenzo's descent to Bormio. Me visiting Milan to watch the final stage and awards ceremony. These were amazing days.

The worst edition - 2012 for many reasons. Apart from Rabottini's and De Gendt's stage wins nothing exciting for three weeks.

It's a fantastic race and hopefully some members older than me :) can describe earlier editions. No doubt the '72 Giro was one for the ages. Better than anything we have seen.

Just reading the results and seeing the route on bikerace now and wow, this really looks insane, 10 MT stages, fair amount of ITT, great stuff

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Come on... remove the "of all time" from the title... in recent memory seems more apt, We weren't there to see the Bartali-Coppi giri of the past, when cycling was a religion, not a sport, nor the Merckx-Fuente battles so "of all time" seems a bit pompous tbh.

Fair amount of ITT means 40km around Forte dei Marmi. Classic in those years, it came back 3 years in a row, I think. In those days both Goddet and Torriani designed their tours to sink Merckx, which means lots of mountains with steep gradients in short distance and very short on ITT. Just like nowadays. Compare to the tours (both in Italy & France) in the days of Hinault & Moser/Saronni and you'll see how different that was.

Re:

Gerrard Slipped haha said:

Just reading the results and seeing the route on bikerace now and wow, this really looks insane, 10 MT stages, fair amount of ITT, great stuff

It's a crazy route with super short stages like Blockhaus and Stelvio and then those two 250k+ beasts. :eek:

1968 was also great with the Giro ending in Napoli. There is a funny story about Merckx putting out a map and telling Adorni where he plans to attack. And Adorni just asks him who he want to attack and why. He had like 10 minutes of advantage to Gimondi at that point. :D

Giro 1975 also seems very interesting. Bertoglio and Galdos going into the final stage only seperated by 41 seconds. Not a thing, but when you realize that the final stage ends on Stelvio (of course from the Prato side) it gets really funny. :D

Or italians changing the route for Moser in 84, the snow of 88...this race is really the queen of stage racing.

Re:

Eshnar said:
1974 is widely regarded as one of the best, if not the one. Of those I followed live, 1998, 2005, 2010, 2015, 2016.
The last two a bit behind the rest.
I felt like '15 had the issue that first place was never really in doubt post ITT which harms it a bit. And '16 was quite dull for most the opening two weeks, with a couple of exceptions.

TRENDING THREADS