• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best money for value riders in the peloton?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking the other day, since Denis Menchov is leaving Rabobank and is joining Geox, that Rabo got pretty value out of him for the money they were paying him. Two Vuelta titles (although the first was by default), and a Giro title, plus a 3rd place at the Tour, and another stage win in 2006 at the aforementioned Tour. Alberto Contador will leave Astana and join Saxo Bank, and he will take with him two Tour victories, and a Giro and a Vuelta overall victory.

Oscar Freire has given Rabobank countless Tour stage victories and the green points competiton in 2008, and countless stages at the Vuelta, three Milan-San Remo's, Ghent-Wevelgem, that Hamburg Classic, and his 2004 Worlds victory in Verona, plus a whole lot more.

I'm not restricting it to people who leaving their teams at the end of the season, or will continue with their team in 2011.

Fabian Cancellara and Tom Boonen also spring to mind.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure that all five of the riders you mentioned will be very well paid, value for money would suggest someone getting the results but not yet the money, or perhaps more likely someone who helps the team leader get the results but at a fraction of his wage.

Italian climbers and to a lesser extent Spanish climbers are probably the best value for money since there are so many great italian and Spanish climbers the merely very good ones are overlooked. Vaconsolei got ricco. Diquigiovanni-Androni had Scarponi. Galicia have Mosquerra.
These are all great climber yet in an era where Spain have won the last 5 tdfs with 3 diffetent riders + valverde in vuelta, and italy produce pretty much a new giro winner every year for the last decade, they are overlooked a bit. Well im assuming that these teams, considering they are not PT teams, would not be able to afford them if they cost more.

Riders I'd suspect might not be on the salaries they deserve:

Vasil Kiryienka - monster domestique
Benoît Vaugrenard - constantly racking up results
Sylwester Szmyd - should be on as much as some teams' leaders
Matthew Lloyd - won a GT jersey almost without anybody noticing
Rubén Plaza - probably signed on the cheap since he's been in exile in Portugal
Ángel Vicioso - likewise, plus dubious team history drives his price down
Xavier Tondó - partially the same, partially the surprise for many of his year

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Andy Schleck. The years he was ridding for Riis he got something like 3 million $ all together. That's pretty cheap for a monument, 2 Tour Stages, 2 second places in the Tour GC and 3 white jerseys + second place in the Giro and youth jersey there.

Libertine Seguros said:
Riders I'd suspect might not be on the salaries they deserve:

Vasil Kiryienka - monster domestique
Benoît Vaugrenard - constantly racking up results
Sylwester Szmyd - should be on as much as some teams' leaders
Rubén Plaza - probably signed on the cheap since he's been in exile in Portugal
Ángel Vicioso - likewise, plus dubious team history drives his price down
Xavier Tondó - partially the same, partially the surprise for many of his year

Szmyd - i would suspect its precisely that he does like the salary he gets from liquigas that he stays with them, sacrificing potential stage hunt/kom/ leadership chances at other teams, and so loyally served them in the giro.
Lloyd- he just won the jersey this year, so his salary might increase the next.
Ruben Plaza - likewise, considerig his good performances

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Szmyd - i would suspect its precisely that he does like the salary he gets from liquigas that he stays with them, sacrificing potential stage hunt/kom/ leadership chances at other teams, and so loyally served them in the giro.

Sylwester has recently said that after the Giro he signed a 'cointract of his life'. Before the end of his career he'd like to ride a tour (didn't precise which one) as a leader, 'with #1 on my jersey, like Marzio Bruseghin after all those years at Lampre') so maybe at that future time money wouldn't be a main factor.

p e t e r said:
Sylwester has recently said that after the Giro he signed a 'cointract of his life'. Before the end of his career he'd like to ride a tour (didn't precise which one) as a leader, 'with #1 on my jersey, like Marzio Bruseghin after all those years at Lampre') so maybe at that future time money wouldn't be a main factor.

well next year kreuziger is off, pelizoti is on the naughty step, leaving nibali and basso. Im thinking nibali - giro, Basso tour, maybe theyll let Szmyd have the vuelta.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
What about Peter Sagan? No one expected him to do anything this season, so I'd guess he's practically free...

I believe he already got a new contract, and ensured his brother got one too

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Andy Schleck. The years he was ridding for Riis he got something like 3 million $ all together. That's pretty cheap for a monument, 2 Tour Stages, 2 second places in the Tour GC and 3 white jerseys + second place in the Giro and youth jersey there.

Where did you get that figure? Because that is actually quite interesting, and if it's true you are completely right, that is a low salary for those results.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

lol - except Australians!

Don't know how much Danilo Hondo gets, but I think he did a great job this season and I imagine it's much less than Petacchi or Cunego.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Where did you get that figure? Because that is actually quite interesting, and if it's true you are completely right, that is a low salary for those results.

I read an article in Danish a while ago and recalled some figures of that magnitude. I found this article which confirms that he earned 7 mil. DKR in 2010 which is around 1,2 mil. $ and that this was part of a 3 year deal from 2008-2010 which had increasing pay so he got less in 2009 and 2008. I think I read the actual numbers in the article that I can no longer find, and I think it was around another 7 million for 2008 and 2009 put together and presumably it would have been even less in 2005-2007.