• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best New Team for Sagan?

Best New Team for Sagan?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Best New Team for Sagan?

I voted Trek as I truly believe the best option for him would be Trek. Cancellara would be the ultimate teammate, leadout and mentor and they could deliver many major victories working together.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna say BMC, I still like the idea of him in that team and how much support he would have there.

A new leader for the classics (or replacement for Boonen maybe) at OPQS would also be cool. But unlikely with Cav there.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
A strengthened Cannondale would be the best for him. However, I want to see him at Astana. He won't have things all his own way, but Nibali and him working together could be a joy to watch

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
I'm gonna say BMC, I still like the idea of him in that team and how much support he would have there.

A new leader for the classics (or replacement for Boonen maybe) at OPQS would also be cool. But unlikely with Cav there.

I think OPQS already realized that Cav dont have the speed to beat Kittel so they may be looking at other options as Boonen is not getting any younger either.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
So he could lose another MSR because Nibali is up the road?

Surely if no climbs are taken out then Nibali would attack hard and either get away and perhaps win, or get reeled in and Sagan would then be in a prime position.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Best New Team for Sagan?

I voted Trek as I truly believe the best option for him would be Trek. Cancellara would be the ultimate teammate, leadout and mentor and they could deliver many major victories working together.

Mr Tinkoff gets what he wants:eek:

Jancouver said:
Best New Team for Sagan?

But split leadership in a bunch of important races, no?

I don't think there's enough space for the egos of both Canc and Sagan in one team, or Sagan and Boonen for that matter, so I'm going with BMC.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
It's fun to watch him ride for a relatively weak team. It would be a lot less fun to watch him ride for a team that can just mow down any other challengers

I have to say I find it painful. He's made one or two bad decisions but that's mainly down to frustration. He's a great talent. It's a pity to watch him have such a crappy season.

Anyway, I went with BMC seeing as they've both the budget and the vacancy.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I hope he goes to Tinkoff. The way he is going in this TdF, he could probably win the Green with no teammates at all so why not go to Tinkoff who would most of the time provide him with useful/helpful domestics. Overlapping with Contador shouldn't be much of an issue either because I hope Contador does Giro+Vuelta anyway and if Contador does go to the TdF, maybe Sagan will want to do Giro/Vuelta. Has he ever mentioned wanting the points jersey from those two GTs as well?

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
whittashau said:
A strengthened Cannondale would be the best for him. However, I want to see him at Astana. He won't have things all his own way, but Nibali and him working together could be a joy to watch

It is a joy to watch Sagan and Nibali riding together but I voted BMC - think he would like it better, have lots of support and it is also fun to watch Oss and Sagan :D

Eyeballs Out said:
It's fun to watch him ride for a relatively weak team. It would be a lot less fun to watch him ride for a team that can just mow down any other challengers

Kind of makes me reconsider my choice of Sky a team of: Sagan, Swift, G, Eisel, Cataldo, Knees, Stannard, Puccio, Wiggins would potentially make certain classics and the points jersey at the giro a lot less fun.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:
Voted OPQS as I think Sagan could achieve so much more in the classics and OPQS is the team with the know how and depth to do it.

It's the depth that is the issue as there may be a personality clash or 7 though. Boonen, Terpstra, Meersman, Trentin, Cavendish, Kwiatkowski, and Bakelants all of them will be questioning their role in the team, but I'm sure everyone else would love to have him.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I voted Tinkoff.....Hey it's my Team :D

Would love to see Sagan on a Robauix hammering in the Classics. That is where he should focus from now on......Monuments!

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Tinkoff. Will be great to see a repeat of next year where he racks up so many green points early on and yet has the energy, drive, and ability to be one of the mountain goats for Contador.

Surely not OPQS, they are the exact opposite of a team Sagan wants. He wants everybody to drive his *** off for him. And the Belgian team does not work that way. Besides, they got guys for his kind of races: Boonen/Terpstra/Stybar on cobbles, Cav for the sprint and Kwiatkowski for hilly stages/classics.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Voting for other. none of the teams listed are good for a rider of Sagan's capabilities.

Though Sagan has captured the imagination of many, we should consider that he is still just 24. He is a very talented rider. But i dont get the feeling that he has decided on what he really wants to do yet.

With his kind of talent, he is not going to be cheap. so none of the lesser teams can afford him. The wealthy ones are more interested in GC now than having some rider who gives them 10-20 wins.
It would be quite interesting to see him in GIA though.

TRENDING THREADS