• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Puncheurs/Stage Hunters at this years Giro

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It is not really a big secret that the 2013 Giro is not exactly tailor-made for the typical bunch sprinters in the field.

Usually in Grand Tours there are a little more stages favoring the likes of Cavendish and his colleagues.

So it's not surprising at all that many sprinters didn't even bother to show up.

However, the less stages there are for the sprinters the more opportunities this Giro holds for great Puncheurs with a climbing abilities and a decent finish.

So one thing I find really interesting is which riders will really prosper in these stages and might be in the mix for good stage results a lot more than they would in a tour with more flat stages.

Since those middle of the way stages are usually much more open, it's also more interesting to predict, which guys are gonna be consistently up there :).

Hope some of you guys are equally interested in those stages.

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Di Luca and Gatto looked both good in last weekend's Italian classics. Hope to see Gatto winning a stage like he did in Tropea two years ago. What about Mezgec, maby not a favourite for a stage win, but he did well in Romandie.

Good idea for a thread.

Wyss from BMC strikes me as someone who is in form and who could go for a stage or two.

I have great hopes for Iljo Keisse. Hopefully he is released from babysitting duties for a few stages.

And Paolini (if he can hold his spring form) should get his chances.

Hopefully the great Enrico Battaglin will again show his Bettini-like abilities:cool:

If Samuel Sanchez isn't aiming at GC (which I think he'd have a hard time playing a significant part in), he will feature along with guys like Casar, Martens, Visconti (unknown form factor), Keukeleire, Taborre & perhaps Rubiano.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
Hopefully the great Enrico Battaglin will again show his Bettini-like abilities:cool:

If Samuel Sanchez isn't aiming at GC (which I think he'd have a hard time playing a significant part in), he will feature along with guys like Casar, Martens, Visconti (unknown form factor), Keukeleire, Taborre & perhaps Rubiano.

Sanchez stated in an interview that his primary goal is to win a stage and than see if he can do a good GC as well. So I think he'll put in lots of attacks with the possibility of getting dropped by the top guys later if he doesn't get away. Therefore I think he will give up his podium chances, but he can win a stage for sure like in the tour of 2011.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
manafana said:
Have agree Weening does look strong going into this, pity for Meersman who has looked strong that he will be dragged to do what cavendish wants him to do.

Meersman isn't riding. He's doing the Vuelta.

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You can find odds on just about every rider to win above or below 0.5 stages (ie win a stage or not) Urtasun, Apollonio and Cummings have quite tempting odds to win any one of them.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
hidache said:
Sanchez stated in an interview that his primary goal is to win a stage and than see if he can do a good GC as well. So I think he'll put in lots of attacks with the possibility of getting dropped by the top guys later if he doesn't get away. Therefore I think he will give up his podium chances, but he can win a stage for sure like in the tour of 2011.

As much as I'd love to see Samu win the Giro, I think he'd be far better off to forget about GC and go stage hunting. He could win a couple stages, which would be better than a conservative and likely futile attempt at a podium.

TRENDING THREADS