• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Retired Cyclist (with many wins), Without a Monument?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Samuel Sanchez has 4 podium placings in Lombardia
Frank Schleck has 4 podium placings too

Flecha of course deserves it most of all in my opinion (4 podium placings too).

Multiple podiums in one Monument doesn't cut it for me, especially Frank & Andy in 2011. If anything that should count against them, for managing to give a Monument away!
phillippe_gilbert_wins_liege_bastogne_liege_2011.jpg

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Multiple podiums in one Monument doesn't cut it for me, especially Frank & Andy in 2011. If anything that should count against them, for managing to give a Monument away!
phillippe_gilbert_wins_liege_bastogne_liege_2011.jpg

They failed in that edition but they were never gonna win it either way, they only could make Gilbert lose by not riding.

Still no excuse for how they failed though by riding with gilbert and going for a sprint lol

I looked up some more numbers

George Hincapie has 16 top-10 placings in monuments, but not a single win.
Michael Boogerd has 7 podium placings, and a total of 16 top-10's.
Freddy Maertens has 19 top-10 placings though he is from a wholly different era.
Francesco Casagrande gets up to 11 top-10's.

Feel free to add more

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
No matter which criteria, Hushovd shouldn't be considered. He have never ridden a monument and been close to the victory. Even if he had the chance to win, he would gladly sell it for a 2nd place. Truly pathetic rider :mad:
So several poduims at Roubaix & San Remo never happened?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Phil Anderson would have to be one of the best without a monument win. 3 podiums at LBL, 2 at RvV and 1 at GdL with a few more top 10's. Not bad...

Completely overlooked Phil, thanks!
kelly-anderson.jpg

One of the main players in 89's LBL, getting 3rd.

Netserk said:
See third sentence. He rides for 2nd place. Mentally he will always be a loser.
Can you name an example of this?

And please don't be ridiculous and say P-R 2010. Of course he rode for 2nd there, Cancellara was on another planet and won by 3 minutes...Hushovd couldn't have followed Cancellara there anymore than he'd be able to follow Contador up Etna in 2011 ;)

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
No matter which criteria, Hushovd shouldn't be considered. He have never ridden a monument and been close to the victory. Even if he had the chance to win, he would gladly sell it for a 2nd place. Truly pathetic rider :mad:

This is utter BS.
Other than Paris-Roubaix 2010 what do you base this on?

And besides: In order to win you have to be willing to lose. And that doesn't mean you should always close every gap. Just look at Cancellara.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
Why do I like Pippo, Flecha and Sagan then? I hate on Thor for the way he rides.

If you hate on Thor for the way he rides, than you should definitely hate Pippo. I think it's fair that you can just not like a person, without having really a reason. But what you're saying here is pretty much just BS to me

rghysens said:
Won the world championships twice, but never one of the current "five monuments". He won Paris-Tours, though. In his age it was an important classic too (same level as, let's say rvv).

Quite true. In his age, there was no such thing as "monuments". It's a late 80's neologism.

His win in Paris-Tours was on the other course - Tours-Versailles -, wasn't it? Which was reasonably hilly in the finale.

In those days the Arrow was also at least the equivalent to the sister race - Liège-Bastogne?

So that normally, I'd have to say Zoetemelk. But a win in 1976 Arrow is "monumental".

By the way, after reading Van Walleghem's book about Briek Schotte, I've really lost all the respect I had for Maertens.

A hypocrite spoiled brat !

Should've won Flanders, him? While climbing the Koppenberg freewheeling pushed by his friend fishmonger? No way !

TRENDING THREADS