• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Road Helmet? value, protection, comfort

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Other factors to consider: weight, ease of use, looking cool, and longevity.

Do you really need all those vents? What about in the WINTER..would you use a helmet with fewer vents?

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
In order to be sure your head will be protected it is important to check for either ANSI or SNELL certification. All helmets made by Trek, Specialized, and Giro are rated for certain. I think all Louis Garneau and Bell helmets are rated, too. Other brands are also, but I can speak for them with any certainty.

Decent helmets start at about $50-$60. Helmets that have a layer of carbon fiber between the foam core and plastic shell can have larger vents and still offer good protection.

One important factor is comfor of fit. Some helmets are better for people with roundish heads while others are better for narrow heads. Never buy a helmet without trying it on and fitting it for your size, first.

Ventilation is great in the summer. In the winter you can wear a headsock under the helmet or a cycling cap.

I like the Specialized S-Works Road. It's not inexpensive (about $200), but by far the most comfortable lid I have ever owned.

Good luck, and I hope you will never need to test the rating of the helmet yourself!

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
the specialized s-works is a great helmet best i have owned my previous was a giro atmos the s-works is all around better than other helmets currently offered imo.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
IMHO, if you rate comfort first and foremost any Lazer Helmet with the Rollsys retention system will beat any other helmet. And as a plus they do all right on the style front to, nice and sleek and come in a nice range of colours.

forty four said:
the specialized s-works is a great helmet best i have owned my previous was a giro atmos the s-works is all around better than other helmets currently offered imo.

Yikes, we are being twitter-ized OMG!!

"The Specialized S-works is a great helmet. Best I have owned. My previous was a Giro Atmos. The S-works is an all around better helmet than other helmets currently offered, in my opinion."

I also have the S-Works road helmet. Of all the helmets I tried on at my LBS this fit me best. It seams that the specialized helmet line is made for narrower heads than the lines from Bell and Giro. At least that was my experience.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
IMHO, if you rate comfort first and foremost any Lazer Helmet with the Rollsys retention system will beat any other helmet. And as a plus they do all right on the style front to, nice and sleek and come in a nice range of colours.

I 100% agree. I am loving my Lazer helmet it is much more comfortable than any Giro or Bell I have owned.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the current LAS top of the line and am very impressed with the fit. Formerly a giro guy for years, they fit my head better than the specialized. LAS may have the best of all fit for me.

Don't skimp on the helment. I got T boned by a car one day, and as I was flying throught the air I thought to my self, I sure am glad I have the best helmet money can buy. (thud) Got up with the biggest grin., because I could have easily been Dead.

TRENDING THREADS