Best team for the Classics

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
il_fiammingo said:
I'm quite curious about Boom's northern classics debut.
I think we are all curious about how Boom will go, we have had a debate before whether he will be more suited to the cobbles or hills. Based on his wins in the Tour of Belgium and stage win at the Vuelta, I think he might be better suited to the Ardennes Classics.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
pmcg76 said:
I think we are all curious about how Boom will go, we have had a debate before whether he will be more suited to the cobbles or hills. Based on his wins in the Tour of Belgium and stage win at the Vuelta, I think he might be better suited to the Ardennes Classics.
I think so too. Amstel Gold seems to be made for him (no, not the beer, the race). Cross riders are assumed to be good cobbles riders by default, but that's far from true.
 
Sep 2, 2009
589
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
I think you are on target except the team that is most overlooked may be Cervelo Test Team. Hushovd, Haussler, Klier, Hammond... not too bad for the stones.
Thats a strong line up I must agree. If Haussler demonstrates the same kind of form as last year, he will be in play for "De Ronde". Furthermore there is no doubt in my mind that Hushovd has got what it takes to win Paris-Roubaix.

Riders who might suprise in the cobbled classics:

Martijn Maaskant (Garmin)
Simon Spilak (Lampre)
 
Quick Step for the cobbles, Saxo Bank/Katusha for the hills.

Hope Chavanel can get something big. Maybe P-R if he can escape :eek:
I reckon Devolder for Ronde again. One of the Shlecks for LBL or Amstel, and Ballan for something cobbled.
 
Apr 17, 2009
402
0
0
Bike Boy said:
Thats a strong line up I must agree. If Haussler demonstrates the same kind of form as last year, he will be in play for "De Ronde". Furthermore there is no doubt in my mind that Hushovd has got what it takes to win Paris-Roubaix.

Riders who might suprise in the cobbled classics:

Martijn Maaskant (Garmin)
Simon Spilak (Lampre)
With Maakant and Van Summeren, Garmin could have some decent cards to play in the cobbled classics. Keep in mind Cozza and Farrar have shown some abilities on the pave. ... That being said it's going to be very difficult to knock off Quick Step or Saxo.
 
Jul 2, 2009
5,540
0
0
Hmmmm, I'm surprised how highly people are rating Sky, they'll be a factor for sure, but to actually pull off a major win, I don't see it yet this year.

I'm going with Saxo. I think this'll be the year that the Canc gets another big cobbles win, and the Schlecks might pull something off in the hills.
 
luckyboy said:
Quick Step for the cobbles, Saxo Bank/Katusha for the hills.

Hope Chavanel can get something big. Maybe P-R if he can escape :eek:
I reckon Devolder for Ronde again. One of the Shlecks for LBL or Amstel, and Ballan for something cobbled.
If Devolder wins Flanders again, there needs to be a stewards inquiry!!!
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
0
0
il_fiammingo said:
Don't let him fool you. He'll target LBL if his Ronde sucked. There is no doubt he only focusses on a 3rd Flanders. He's becoming the next Van Petegem.
When Devolder was racing for The Hog, he was keen on trying to achieve a podium position at the Vuelta and being a stage racer. Even LA called him a TDF project rider. Now at Quick Step he wins one race a season and that's it for him.
 
Mar 10, 2009
207
0
0
theyoungest said:
In that they are cobbled together.

I hate explaining puns / misinterpretation based humour / out of step gags. Almost as much as I hate taffy. And I'm a man that hates taffy.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Bluebeard said:
In that they are cobbled together.

I hate explaining puns / misinterpretation based humour / out of step gags. Almost as much as I hate taffy. And I'm a man that hates taffy.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation of your glorious pun, Great Harbinger of Hate.
 
Mar 10, 2009
207
0
0
theyoungest said:
Ah. Thanks for the explanation of your glorious pun, Great Harbinger of Hate.
That's me;)

At weekends, I kill puppies too, by mashing them with sledgehammers made of sick kittens.
 
Apr 12, 2009
2,364
0
0
craig1985 said:
When Devolder was racing for The Hog, he was keen on trying to achieve a podium position at the Vuelta and being a stage racer. Even LA called him a TDF project rider. Now at Quick Step he wins one race a season and that's it for him.
He still tries to be a stage racer, but has failed the TdF the last 2 years. This year he will try the vuelta again...
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
0
0
Buffalo Soldier said:
He still tries to be a stage racer, but has failed the TdF the last 2 years. This year he will try the vuelta again...
I will never understand Devolder.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Podiums for classics

M-S-R
1. Gilbert
2. Haussler
3. Cav

Flanders
1. Ballan
2. Devolder
3. Haussler

Roubaix
1.hincapie (it will finally be his year!)
2.Cancellara
3.Chavanel

(predicting boonen to do **** and have a few punctures)

Amstel
1. F. Schleck

Fleche
1. Evans (though he may be doing it as a warm up race)
2. Cunego
3. Kirchen

Liege
1. valverde
2. kolobnev
3.Cunego
 
pmcg76 said:
I think people are seriously overlooking Katusha. Pozzatto has won Milan-San Remo and can contend at Flanders, Roubaix. Then they have AG winner Sergei Ivanov, former Fleche winner Kim Kirchen, consistent Ardennes man Rodriguez and Kolobnev who aint half-bad. Thats an impresive team with proven talent.
agree very much on katusha. I like Ivanov, and especially curious how Rodriguez will do. must say I was surprised when he left caisse d'epargne, but maybe it was a timely decision. 2nd in Liege last year, and not that far behind Schleck, it wouldn't surprise me if he won one this year.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Im saying nothing.

I do not want to tempt fate, nor jinx george.
 
Mar 13, 2009
1,064
0
0
Maybe Hoste finally comes through this year? So much attention could be given to Gilbert that he can just slip away, similar to the way Devolder has done in the past with Boonen.

Also will Van Avermaet make any noise? I'm interested to see his campaign.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
nvpacchi said:
Maybe Hoste finally comes through this year? So much attention could be given to Gilbert that he can just slip away, similar to the way Devolder has done in the past with Boonen.

Also will Van Avermaet make any noise? I'm interested to see his campaign.
Gilbert said he would be focussing on Roubaix later in his career and at the moment he is focusing on San Remo, Liege and possibly fleche (though i think the finish might be a bit too hard for him there.)
 
Sep 2, 2009
589
0
0
nvpacchi said:
Maybe Hoste finally comes through this year? So much attention could be given to Gilbert that he can just slip away, similar to the way Devolder has done in the past with Boonen.

Also will Van Avermaet make any noise? I'm interested to see his campaign.
I have a hard time imaging Hoste winning a monument. He passed his chance.

It would certainly be a suprise if Van Avermaet wins, but he's got the future ahead of him.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
craig1985 said:
When Devolder was racing for The Hog, he was keen on trying to achieve a podium position at the Vuelta and being a stage racer. Even LA called him a TDF project rider. Now at Quick Step he wins one race a season and that's it for him.

I think part of the Devolder thing is he is really Boonen's super domestique. He never expected to win in 2008, and was likely extremely surprised at the race in 2009. At RvV, for two years running, he was the decoy that ended up winning the race. In 2008, the win was understandable. The other favorites were up Boonen's backside so far they just didn't bother with Devolder, so it was their mistake.

For the exact same thing to happen in 2009 was really stupid for everyone in the finale (except Quinziato).

If the other favorites just mark Boonen then Devolder (or perhaps Chavanel) might get away again. And let's face it, if you are gonna be good for one race per year, you could do worse than Flanders.
 
Jan 18, 2010
3,059
0
0
Maybe Hoogerland can do something this year, instead of heroic rides and then coming 5th. etc etc . perhaps the Amstel gold race!? he seems to be going quite well for a while now.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Podiums for classics

M-S-R
1. Gilbert
2. Cav
3. Hushovd

Flanders
1. EBH
2. Haussler
3. Boonen

Roubaix
1. Hushovd
2. Boonen
3. Flecha

Amstel
1. Gilbert
2. Cunego
3. Kolobnev

Fleche
1. F Schleck
2. Rebbellin
3. Nibali

Liege
1. A Schleck
2. Gilbert
3. Gerrans [/QUOTE]
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY