• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best team with leadout sprint train?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best Leadout Train

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah how evil of those people! Voting for a team who proved they have a great train instead of just going off by names.

And no, I didn't vote yet. I'll only vote when we've seen all the trains in action against each other.

and regardless of the outcome vote lotto ? :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If there was some one off leadout train competition, Sky would win easy with Porte Rogers and Wiggins sufficient to bring back half the peloton if perchance it escapes.

Bernie Eissel is enough on his own to keep the pace high so that no one even thinks of escaping.

G just about the best rider (other than T mart and Canc) in the world to have for the 1500m- 500m region, and Cav can already start celebrating immediately after EBH finishes his epic leadout with 200 to go.

But in reality these guys will all have different rolls. EBH is too good to be a leadoutman. G is doing the Giro for himself and Olympics. Wiggins is going for a MJ. Porte will work for Wiggins and Rogers presumably will have some stage races.

So cav will be left with Eissel and 1 or 2 others. But greenedge will have the best leadout. Or maybe Garmin with Millar, and then Haussler if he does leadout.

EBH is not too good to be a lead out man, he's too bad to be one ;)

Especially in the distance range you're proposing.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
abbaskip said:
You include Wiggins and Rogers, but not Bobridge, O'Grady (Green Jersey contender for years??), Cooke (previous winner of the Green jersey), Hepbern, Lancaster (leadout man for basically every other team he has raced for, and ridden in the Grand Tours doing it) etc. Those guys are fast, have track pedigree, and would be awesome at the Eisel/Hincapie 1km to go Highroad role. In fact even Durbridge is comparable to Rogers for a 'leadout' role.

Seems you basically chose sprinters in the GreenEdge team (except the Meyer's) and all parts of a Leadout train for Sky.

If we're talking pure leadouts, and not the guy on the end of it, I think GreenEdge has it.

Imagine Durbridge doing a big turn coming under 10km, Bobridge, Meyer, Cooke and O'Grady chopping it off from 5km to go, handing over to Lancaster/Dean 1km out who could start winding up for Davis to unleash at 500m, and Goss to finish if off. I didn't put McEwen in there, because I'm not sure he is the style of sprinter that suits doing a lead out. Relies too much on his kick.

Wiggins is great, but I'm not sure he is as fast as Bobridge/Meyer anymore (since he hasn't really been worrying about track, and has lost the kgs - he might out TT them, but not over a short distance), Thomas and EBH would be better than Lancaster/Dean/Davis though.

Can you really see bobridge or Meyer doing the turn that wiggins did in the worlds?

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
A good sprint train is more than just having the Watts, you need experience + confidence + watts and then some as the guys need to gel together on & off the bike to work in harmony. Looking at the race yesterday obviously Lotto has the edge so it will be interesting to see how GreenEdge, Rabobank Quickstep, Garmin & Sky do over the coming months but for now lotto seem to have filled in the void left by HTC.

El Pistolero said:
Did you miss the countless other races where he lost the wheel in the finale?
That's a risk indeed, but he has never really done that while doing leadouts though. At sky he did one leadout for Henderson (he won) and one leadout for Sutton (he won). He also did a pretty decent leadout for Swifty at TDF but he didn't have the legs to finish it off at all.

Anyway I think Sky are planning to use Sutton as Cavendish's main leadout.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
Can you really see bobridge or Meyer doing the turn that wiggins did in the worlds?

Can you see Wiggins repeat that at Tdf?

With Olympics, Wiggins & Cav on the 2012 menu life will not be so easy for Sky!

maltiv said:
That's a risk indeed, but he has never really done that while doing leadouts though. At sky he did one leadout for Henderson (he won) and one leadout for Sutton (he won). He also did a pretty decent leadout for Swifty at TDF but he didn't have the legs to finish it off at all.

Anyway I think Sky are planning to use Sutton as Cavendish's main leadout.
I think EBH has the potential to be a really good leadout, he's very good at maintaining a high speed for very long, but he seems to lack that real explosiveness of a Cav or Greipel.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
There seems to be an awful lot of people on this forum who are using a 50km fun event in the middle of January as evidence that Griepel will be the new Mark Cavendish for 2012. Bizarre.

There are people on this board who declare Cavendish's career over whenever Greipel wins anything at all. Honestly it does a dis-service to Greipel who is a legitimate sprinting talent in his own right, he shouldn't have to be compared to Cav all the time.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
I must have missed something as I didn't see anyone write off the world champion on here - the topic was sprint trains & which sprinter can count on the best service from their team mates.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Mondrian said:
but for now lotto seem to have filled in the void left by HTC.

Its a little premature to declare already that lotto is the new HTC, I doubt we will see another team like HTC for a while.

gilbertador said:
Renshaw leading out Bos is probably ideal, Bos is so quick if hes fresh and positioned by Renshaw Cavendish would have a real challenge

But Renshaw won't be doing any leadouts, he is Rabobanks sprinter now. Not really sure Bos could beat Cavendish as well.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Not really sure Bos could beat Cavendish as well.

In pure sprinting speed, he might. In a bunch sprint? No way! Most of the times I've seen Bos sprint, he started out way behind the rest of the sprinters, but finished somewhere more near them (but still behind them). He is so awful in holding positions that he would probably lose Renshaw's wheel before they even made it to the final 400m. Therefore, I think it's wise to let Renshaw do sprints himself as he might have a little less pure sprint speed, but can start a sprint from a better position (and might be able to keep top speed a little longer).

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Sky has the best leadout on paper but not all of the riders will be working for the lead out train during the year. In the Tour for example Cav will probably have Hagen, Eisel, Rogers, and maybe Porte.

If Greipel can keep Henderson's wheel in the sprints I think he will be winning quite a bit this season. Greipel - Henderson - Roelandts - Sieberg - Hansen - Reynes - Bak. Thats a pretty solid leadout. Although in a flat out drag race Roelandts is probably slower than Geraint Thomas and Eisel who could potentially derail the Lotto train.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
gilbertador said:
Renshaw leading out Bos is probably ideal, Bos is so quick if hes fresh and positioned by Renshaw Cavendish would have a real challenge

bos has an amazing turn of speed, but he just lacks in so many other areas I struggle to ever envisage him as a consistant top flight sprinter.

agree a leadout / train would help him, but as pointed out he would still need to hold renshaws wheel.

Afrank said:
But Renshaw won't be doing any leadouts, he is Rabobanks sprinter now. Not really sure Bos could beat Cavendish as well.
Renshaw certainly hasn't been brought on board only to sprint for himself. And we'll see soon enough if he's got what it takes, otherwise doing leadouts for Bos could prove more profitable :eek:

Adam Hansen recently tweeted Greipel's new sprint record, 1940 Watts. I think Theo Bos's is 2100 Watts. Now only if he could get to the finish a little fresh and well-positioned...

Thomas & Eisel as final two pretty much guarantee this for Sky, although I doubt that it'll be as good as the old High Road/Columbia/HTC one was. That's one of the things I think I might like about this season. HTC train is dead, and the second best train from last year, Garmin's, has be effectively decapitated. Sprinting in big races might be fun once again.

TRENDING THREADS