• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Team

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm rooting for Saxo Bank (what kind of Crack did the people who voted for Garmin over Saxo take BTW?). A repeat by Columbia seems likely though.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Since Columbia-HTC is geared so much toward the sprints, they will have the most victories again and probably repeat as the reader's poll best team, but if Sky and Cervelo find success in the Classics, then we might see them get the vote. Sky especially because they are a new team; if they win a couple classics, a few GT stages, and Wiggo has a good showing at the Tour, that's very impressive for a first year team. I'd vote for them in that case.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Since Columbia-HTC is geared so much toward the sprints, they will have the most victories again and probably repeat as the reader's poll best team, but if Sky and Cervelo find success in the Classics, then we might see them get the vote. Sky especially because they are a new team; if they win a couple classics, a few GT stages, and Wiggo has a good showing at the Tour, that's very impressive for a first year team. I'd vote for them in that case.

I agree. Columbia will always have more wins because of they're team structure, not to mention the womans team kicks. I think Cervelo did really well for a first year team and I think they had the best breakout season. I was very disappointed in Lotto though.

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Feldy82 said:
I agree. Columbia will always have more wins because of they're team structure, not to mention the womans team kicks. I think Cervelo did really well for a first year team and I think they had the best breakout season. I was very disappointed in Lotto though.

Lotto was a joke. they only have Gilbert and Hoste. I think Garmin and Saxo will be the closest condenders to Columbia. Garmin because Farrar has such a solid lead out train now and CV will be back this year i think. and Saxo well we all know why with Cancellara Schlecks Ogrady (if he can get it together) and Haedo for the sprints they could win an awful lot of the classics.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe some people took "best" to mean "favourite" team, and voted for Garmin. I think Columbia again next year most likely (for most successful season). Even without Boasson Hagen, and even If Rogers and Martin don't have any joy in the GC, Cav could get the Green Jersey at the tour, win another flat classic, or the WC. Greipel could be doing similar things.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Maybe some people took "best" to mean "favourite" team, and voted for Garmin. I think Columbia again next year most likely (for most successful season). Even without Boasson Hagen, and even If Rogers and Martin don't have any joy in the GC, Cav could get the Green Jersey at the tour, win another flat classic, or the WC. Greipel could be doing similar things.

Yes, this is the best team. Not your favorite team. Does anyone think that Columbia can be beat in this pole in 2010? Lampre may have a shot because Petacchi could have a good year. But the kid has a point about Saxo. Remember Saxo has both Haedo brothers for the sprints, Fuglsang, Schlecks, and Cancellara.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Feldy82 said:

Disappointed in Lotto?? They did win 2 classics and a Giro stage. I think most of the teams did worse.
They only disappointing thing was that Van Avermaet and Roelandts did not take the next step in their development. But maybe that's more due to the rider himself than the team.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
tjwracer said:
Lotto was a joke. they only have Gilbert and Hoste. I think Garmin and Saxo will be the closest condenders to Columbia. Garmin because Farrar has such a solid lead out train now and CV will be back this year i think. and Saxo well we all know why with Cancellara Schlecks Ogrady (if he can get it together) and Haedo for the sprints they could win an awful lot of the classics.

I don't think Garmin can challenge Columbia. Farrar is unlikely to get results as good as Cavendish, and they probably won't get major GT results either. Saxo Bank can't match Columbias number of wins, but they are likely to do well in the Tour and win one or more major classics.

Garmin ranked 3rd in the poll.... Which is ridiculous. The MAGNIFICENT 4th for Wiggins, The Hamburg Classics, three Vuelta stages and a couple of sprint victories for Farrar do not a great year make. Who votes in these things? To see them one spot above Saxo just makes me laugh.

Anyway Columbia will be slightly less dominating than last year, but will still take more victories than any other team by a healthy margin and be the best this year. If Liquigas plays their cards right and uses all their GC men effectively throughout the year I feel they could pose a pretty serious challenge for the #2 spot.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
Disappointed in Lotto?? They did win 2 classics and a Giro stage. I think most of the teams did worse.
They only disappointing thing was that Van Avermaet and Roelandts did not take the next step in their development. But maybe that's more due to the rider himself than the team.

I think you mean that Gilbert won those races. Lotto as a hole was still a disappointment.

TRENDING THREADS