• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best winter clothing

May 6, 2009
Visit site
It's coming into our winter here on the Gold Coast, Australia, and whilst it isn't as bad as Canada or Europe during winter time (at it's worst it will get down 2 degrees at night, and there is certainly no snow!). But I like to stay warm whilst I ride in the morning and I sure as hell don't want to get sick.

I'm mainly after arm warmers and a base layer to wear under my riding jersey, and something light and comfortable. I have Descente arm warmers and I quite like them, but I'm open to any good brand.

So any recommendations?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If all you're looking for is arm warmers, then there really isn't much difference between brands. For base layers, Craft is the best I've ever used. If things get nastier in the weather department, and you're looking for good, cheap, solid stuff, everything Endura makes is warm, tough as nails, and cheap. May not have the flash of Assos or Rapha, but will last every bit as long and keep you as warm.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Some other brands that I've heard good things about, especially in the cold weather are; Icebreaker, Ibex, and Devold. These are all using merino wool in their product, best for lightweight warmth. I'll probably try some of these out once the cold arrives here again.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Best base layer I have used is a plain old merino wool t shirt, they breath well and keep you warm. If you get wet you still don't get cold. Just make sure it's 100% merino, no synthetics.

Then just add arm warmers, knee warmers etc as normal.

I love my Assos 3/4's for winter too.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Like RDV4ROUBAIX, I also think that both Devold and Icebreaker are the best underwear because it contains merino wool. Smartwool is also nice.

I would definately go for the wool. And it doesn't smell as bad as synthetics as well.

You should be able to get wool underwear in Australia.

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
The coldest I've ridden here in New England was 20 F and with the windchill it either was close to 0 or below, which is probably why I got sick the next day. Anyway, like a few other posters have said Craft makes excellent gear and they offer a wide range to fit most climates. For outer gear I've found that Vermar and Giordana make excellent thermal jackets & vests. Descente booties also keep my feet nice and toasty! Although most all of that is probably a bit more than what is neccessary in Austrailia in the winter I'd imagine.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I like the Devold stuff as well, having only discovered it after moving to Norway. Given that it is a Norwegian brand you'll likely pay a fair bit for their product, but it is solid. However the concept of Merino Wool isn't exclusive so you can probably find something else using it down there...

Based on your described conditions, I would recommend a wind-proof vest. Easy to stash in your jersey pocket....and absolutely priceless when you need it on a ride... They also tend to provide a minimal water resistance if you get caught out in those conditions as well.

TRENDING THREADS