Best young riders for 2013?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is no mention of Michael Hepburn who is the youngster on the OGE team. He is part of the Australian silver medal pursuit team with Dennis and Bobridge. He is a junior world pursuit record holder and has had plenty of excellent wins. I believe he will be free of track committments next year, so he may feature for Orica in the same vane as Durbridge did in 2012.
 
Parker is the U19 3000m WR holder.

It will be hard for Hepburn to find races where he can play for himself. If Durbridge has the same calendar it will lock out all the ****ty little races decided by an ITT, he will probably not be strong enough (yet) anyway. Should almost target prologues only for his first year.
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
greenedge said:
Lutsenko, Huffman, Jungels, Dennis, Aru, Manfredi, McCarthy and Hepburn.
Where is Manfredi riding next year? I haven't been able to figure out his team. Also, Shalounov, the Russian on Lokosphinx should have made the jump this year. He won a race this year and was a trainee for RSNT in 2011. He's better than Arndt or Seldig, or any other of Katusha's youngsters.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
gustienordic said:
Where is Manfredi riding next year? I haven't been able to figure out his team. Also, Shalounov, the Russian on Lokosphinx should have made the jump this year. He won a race this year and was a trainee for RSNT in 2011. He's better than Arndt or Seldig, or any other of Katusha's youngsters.
Shalunov did a few impressive rides in Spain, although calling him the biggest talent in Russia might be too much.
He didn't finish the Volta Portugal and Giro Padania, , it is possible that he's got an injury or illness.
Wouter Wippert is a good example of a rider with good results while riding as a trainee for Lotto, but whose pro ambitions were brought to an end by a broken kneecap. Next year he'll ride for 3M(continental level), despite that his U23 WC result was impressive considering the amount of work he did. He also beat Guarnieri in the GP Zottegem for 3rd spot.
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
Lutsenko has shown some pretty good potential + guts. I might be biased toward riders born in 1992 though, it was a good year to be born in (plus theres some good riders from that year)
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
Pentacycle said:
Wouter Wippert is a good example of a rider with good results while riding as a trainee for Lotto, but whose pro ambitions were brought to an end by a broken kneecap. Next year he'll ride for 3M(continental level), despite that his U23 WC result was impressive considering the amount of work he did. He also beat Guarnieri in the GP Zottegem for 3rd spot.
Oh! Wippert isn't turning pro with Lotto next year? I didn't know this.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Oh! Wippert isn't turning pro with Lotto next year? I didn't know this.
It's a shame, but if his knee recovers well he's definitely one to watch, even though he can only enter smaller races. But maybe Tour of Belgium or ZLM toer?

Btw the Lutsenko hypers shouldn't be too surprised if when he's having trouble in harder races. He can do well in shorter distances, but he still lacks endurance atm. Avenir showed he's about five times better when stages are only 40 km in length, although I can't predict his progression this winter ofc.
 
will10 said:
Check the 2006 list that Gloin told us was a weak generation ;)
You're right, 2006 pretty much looks like the strongest generation. I recognise almost every rider on the list and most of the guys in top 15 are fairly big names now. Grabovsky is more or less the only guy in the top 25 who's not a reasonably successful rider in the pro peloton...
 
Ferminal said:
Parker is the U19 3000m WR holder.

It will be hard for Hepburn to find races where he can play for himself. If Durbridge has the same calendar it will lock out all the ****ty little races decided by an ITT, he will probably not be strong enough (yet) anyway. Should almost target prologues only for his first year.
I'm not too sure, Durbridge can't attack or sprint the way Hepburn can, although he is much better in the ITT. Look back at Hepburn's performances at L'Avenir (before he got kicked off) to see what I mean.
 
I agree, but it takes a lot longer to be competitive in those areas as instead of 150km it's after 200km, more hills, and you're up against 10 year pros. Not only that but you need to win the backing of your own team first. Dominate an ITT and you give them no choice.

Unless your Sagan or Moser it's just not happening.
 
Ferminal said:
I agree, but it takes a lot longer to be competitive in those areas as instead of 150km it's after 200km, more hills, and you're up against 10 year pros. Not only that but you need to win the backing of your own team first. Dominate an ITT and you give them no choice.

Unless your Sagan or Moser it's just not happening.
Certainly, however I do think he is a similar rider to those guys. From what I've seen he could become the type of rider everyone was expecting Michael Matthews to be. Greenedge could do worse than show him some confidence in smaller .1 and HC races.
 
Michael Matthews will have a great year next year at OGE (like Gerrans, Albasini, Davis), just watch. He is more of a pure sprinter than Hepburn, whereas Hepburn is more versatile. Hepburn could be good at the cobbles as he has a good sprint and a good motor. He cannot climb as well as Sagan though.

Matthews just did not get to ride a GT and would only go good at the TDU and some smaller Spanish races.
 
Parker said:
It's interesting to look back on some of their past lists (going back to 2004).
Kohl and Haussler are a bit low. So is Nibali (though he might have been so low because of his age), Gerdermann (before the crash) and Greipel.

In 2006 Goss is before Cavendish ;). I know Vanendert has the real chance of winning an Ardennes but ahead of Martin:confused:

I also can't see Andy in 06 or 07.
 
greenedge said:
Kohl and Haussler are a bit low. So is Nibali (though he might have been so low because of his age), Gerdermann (before the crash) and Greipel.

In 2006 Goss is before Cavendish ;). I know Vanendert has the real chance of winning an Ardennes but ahead of Martin:confused:

I also can't see Andy in 06 or 07.
That's because Andy turned pro in 2005. The list is for U23 riders only.
 
Dec 30, 2011
3,547
0
0
Have not read through this thread.. but Barguil is an obvious one, also I believe Cattaneo should hopefully make a breakthrough, Litsenko, a dark horse could be Joshua Edmonson, but that is probably more wishful thinking and he anyways will probably only feature in a very limited amount of races. Otherwise their is still time for last year's predictions of Novikov and Silin to prove their worth this year.. Other obvious ones include Dombrowski and possibly Zakarin, who was been hindered by his doping ban.

In terms of the TPers, well much has been said about the Aussies and of course Bobridge though by no means a surprise should finally start to prove his immense talent though he is at Rabo. Hepburn has been in the shadow of Durbo and Bobridge but he is certainly talented. But Kennaugh is someone who has been labelled by the Sky management as a rider with bagloads of potential, his career on the road so far has been hindered by the track so this season will tell us a lot about him.
 
Jul 15, 2012
48
0
0
although i doubt that they get onto the big road stage before 2014 prober, i'd peg Lasse Norman Hansen and a few other of the danish youth track team (Rasmus Quaade in peticular, European U23 TT Champ this year) as raising stars in the near future as several of them have expressed a wish to switch to road as primary focus in the near future
 
greenedge said:
Kohl and Haussler are a bit low. So is Nibali (though he might have been so low because of his age), Gerdermann (before the crash) and Greipel.

In 2006 Goss is before Cavendish ;). I know Vanendert has the real chance of winning an Ardennes but ahead of Martin:confused:

I also can't see Andy in 06 or 07.
nibali turned pro in 2005 at 20 years of age, same for andy so they pretty muck skipped the u23 ranks.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY