• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Betsy testifies

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Wow, Fabiani is a piece of work. The desperation is obvious.

I wonder if he knows that the doctor that testified was not Armstrong's doctor at the time of the admission or that Armstrong had yet to start his treatment?

Sounds more like willful ignorance....ie lying. Smart move by Armstrong to get a professional liar to lie for him.

But Lance is an inspiration to many. This is not true. Everyone else is just bitter. Like everyone else in the whole world. They’re all bitter I tell you. Except Lance. He’s not bitter. He’s an inspiration. Why oh why didn’t he just hire Floyd and let him ride the darn Vuelta.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

I wonder if he knows that the doctor that testified was not Armstrong's doctor at the time of the admission or that Armstrong had yet to start his treatment?

Sounds more like willful ignorance....ie lying. Smart move by Armstrong to get a professional liar to lie for him.

Shame the LAT didn't follow Mark's drivel with a mention of the large donation immediately following the "preposterous" Indiana hospital story.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Lance's doctors said it didn't happen.

As above, um, not actually Lance's doctor . . .

The records show it didn't happen.

You telling me there's an actual record of a conversation not happening? Try playing nicer with reality next time, Mark.

Someone's pants are seriously on fire - the guy must be a perfect fit with LA's posse. Maybe the real reason they hired him is to put the Lie in Liestrong.

But this is very interesting. I hadn't heard of this admission before:

"Lance was required to undergo an active steroid and EPO regimen as part of his post-operative treatment," Fabiani said, "which may give a reasonable explanation for there having been some discussion of EPO or steroids during her visit to the hospital, having nothing to do with any suggestion of use before he was a cancer patient."

It would also give the lie to the often-heard "Having had cancer, I would never dope, because I know it might increase the chances of a remission." In fact, there is evidence now that EPO may aggravate cancers, but at that time taking it post-cancer would have been quite reasonable.

Even if, as noted on this thread, this conversation happened before treatment, would Fabiani have made this statement without first clearing it with Lance? If he did not clear it, LA definitely hired the wrong guy. If he did clear it with LA, it sounds like the latter might be preparing the way for an admission?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
But Lance is an inspiration to many. This is not true. Everyone else is just bitter. Like everyone else in the whole world. They’re all bitter I tell you. Except Lance. He’s not bitter. He’s an inspiration. Why oh why didn’t he just hire Floyd and let him ride the darn Vuelta.

He could have hired Floyd as a PR man.(not)
Something is not right with Floyds' riding after his rest period. Maybe his hip surgery was not 100 percent sucessful? Floyd will never tell.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
But this is very interesting. I hadn't heard of this admission before:

It would also give the lie to the often-heard "Having had cancer, I would never dope, because I know it might increase the chances of a remission." In fact, there is evidence now that EPO may aggravate cancers, but at that time taking it post-cancer would have been quite reasonable.

I'm not sure Armstrong has ever denied taking epo in connection with his cancer recovery.

I'd like to hear Fabiani's explanation of how growth hormone is used as part of the cancer treatment (which of course would be the very last thing a cancer patient would want to take).

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Fabiani is floundering. He does not have one fact on his side, yet there he is vigorously chattering away.

I have not read one thing Fabiani has said that has advanced Lance's position or raised any legitimate issues.

spetsa said:
Anyone have a list of whom else may have/ did committ perjury in the SCA case to try and protect the one nut wonder?

Vaughters signed an affidavit that he didn’t see any doping at USPS in 2003. The fact that he had nothing to do with the team didn’t seem to matter. The case only centred around the fifth win. He also disowned the IM conversation as candour but I’m not sure if that was on record or not.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
rhetoric aside, i think the following one sentence in the article is the whole essence
McIlvain was subpoenaed, Novitzsky and an associate tried to interview her at her home but that McIlvain refused without her attorney present

will she lie ? i dare to speculate - no.
still, i am surprised novi is going after the hospital room incident with such vigour.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fabiani is playing fast and loose with the truth.

"The entire Indiana hospital story is preposterous," Mark Fabiani, who recently joined Armstrong's legal team, said of Andreus' account. "Lance's doctors said it didn't happen. The records show it didn't happen. The other six to seven people in that hospital room either say it didn't happen or have no recollection of any such conversation. The Andreus are the only persons who say it happened."

If all those people say it didn't happen - then why did they not testify?

Of the people who testified:
Lance Armstrong- said it didn't happen.
Betsy Andreu - said it happened.
Frankie Andreu - said it happened.
Stephanie McIlvain - said it didn't happen.... but then there is a seperate tape where she said it did.

The Doctor who sent in his testimony - had no recollection, which is true as he was not there.

“Here is the simple truth – while others may have cheated to try to beat me, I didn’t cheat to win. Beating a cheater doesn’t make you a cheater. I won using hard work, single minded devotion to a goal, dedication, exhaustive preparation and training, physiological and mental advantages, pain and suffering, innovative technology, teamwork and sacrifices that came with a price in my professional and personal life. None of that came in a pill or a bottle. All of that is why I could beat others, even when they weren’t racing clean. If I beat people that were cheating, it was because I worked harder and got more from my abilities, not because I cheated. “

-- Lance Armstrong, June 29, 2007

thehog said:
“Here is the simple truth – while others may have cheated to try to beat me, I didn’t cheat to win. Beating a cheater doesn’t make you a cheater. I won using hard work, single minded devotion to a goal, dedication, exhaustive preparation and training, physiological and mental advantages, pain and suffering, innovative technology, teamwork and sacrifices that came with a price in my professional and personal life. None of that came in a pill or a bottle. All of that is why I could beat others, even when they weren’t racing clean. If I beat people that were cheating, it was because I worked harder and got more from my abilities, not because I cheated. “

-- Lance Armstrong, June 29, 2007

Everyone who wonders why racing fans are so focussed on LA when "they were all doing it" should read that statement. Did Ullrich ever make a statement like this? Did Basso? Did Vino? Did Floyd, for that matter?

This is why I continue to question whether LA will confess, even if he actually ends up in a position where a confession would help him legally (e.g., avoiding perjury).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
python said:
still, i am surprised novi is going after the hospital room incident with such vigour.

Merckx index said:
Everyone who wonders why racing fans are so focussed on LA when "they were all doing it" should read that statement. Did Ullrich ever make a statement like this? Did Basso? Did Vino? Did Floyd, for that matter?

This is why I continue to question whether LA will confess, even if he actually ends up in a position where a confession would help him legally (e.g., avoiding perjury).

Python, I think our Witch Hunter is wondering the same thing that Merckx index is wondering (as are the rest of us FTM).

Perjury charges are the preferred stick to leniency's carrot. I'd guess that Novi is digging deeply into any situation that may allow him to make that point to LA as persuasively as he possibly can.

powerste said:
Python, I think our Witch Hunter is wondering the same thing that Merckx index is wondering (as are the rest of us FTM).

Perjury charges are the preferred stick to honesty's carrot. I'd guess that Novi is digging deeply into any situation that may allow him to make that point to LA as persuasively as he possibly can.
Don't they have to focus on the time period that Landis rode with Armstrong or am I missing something?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
powerste said:

Perjury charges are the preferred stick to honesty's carrot. I'd guess that Novi is digging deeply into any situation that may allow him to make that point to LA as persuasively as he possibly can.
you are right except my avatar is not wondering, he knows and wants texas to know that he knows.

the whole lat article is no more than a pr rebuttal by novi in response to la's new team tactic lead by the uber liar fabiani. novi (via 'a source close to the investigation but willing to remain anonymous') is essentially saying - 'you arrogant texas prijk shell know that i'm in the driver seat and i'm looking wide and far and you and your paid apologists can only guess what i know by now'.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Don't they have to focus on the time period that Landis rode with Armstrong or am I missing something?

Also what does 1996 when under contract with Motorola have to do with USPS?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:

To answer that with any certainty, we'd have to know what Novistky envisions as his endgame, and I don't think anyone knows exactly that yet.

So the short answer is, we don't (at least I don't!) have any idea how the investigation is bounded. But I do not believe it is restricted to the time when LA and FL rode together. After all, Novi began investigating drug use in cycling before Landis went public.

Regardless of exactly what he's looking into or when it might have happened, it seems pretty clear that he's spending a lot of effort finding out who said what (and therefore might have lied) to whom (or to which court or jury), and when. That, and the Balco case, are why I suggested that perjury is his preferred stick, at least initially.

TRENDING THREADS