• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bettini warning his riders

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Somehow I get the feeling we are not getting the full story. There is no way that was how it happened. That is too simple. besides we know who bettini is. Right?

I see it as if they were UCI surprise drug tests why did Bettini know? If Bettini knew about the test then its out in the open and not a surprise/secret test now is it.

UCI or Dope testers, FAIL...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I see it as if they were UCI surprise drug tests why did Bettini know? If Bettini knew about the test then its out in the open and not a surprise/secret test now is it.

UCI or Dope testers, FAIL...

Totally. Any coach would advise his riders if he was told it was happening. If he sought to access that information then it would be a different deal.

Well, if we go by what di Rocco says, it was an internal control. The Italian team has had those for ages before the Worlds, and it was what stopped a.o. Riccò from riding the Worlds as an espoir.
So naturally the national coach would know (and so would the riders), given that it's done every year, but he felt the need to remember the riders anyway.

I don't see anything shady in that at all.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
ANSA at first reported that "..Bettini adverted a rider about a doping control.." while then later they sort of corrected into "...internal doping control..".

What bother me more is the big tax evasion he did.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The WADA code requires no notice. Unless in cases of minors or people with disability, I believe are the exceptions noted below.

5.3 Requirements prior to notification of Athletes
5.3.1 Other than by exception, No Advance Notice shall be the notification
method for Sample collection.

and

5.1.2 Except in exceptional circumstances all Out-of-Competition Testing shall
be No Advance Notice.

I'd be really surprised if CONI would approve Italian fed testing that contravenes the WADA code, ie allowing notice to riders by the coach. As interesting as Bettini's actions are, I also wonder who might have told him, and why.

Where does the code apply?
The International Standard for Testing, including all annexes, is mandatory for all
Signatories
to the Code.

Signatories: Those entities signing the Code and agreeing to comply with the Code, including the International Olympic Committee, International Federations, International Paralympic Committee, National Olympic Committees, National Paralympic Committees, Major Event Organizations, National Anti-Doping Organizations, and WADA.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/W...Testing/WADA_Int.Standard_Testing_2009_EN.pdf

Then again, this could just be the national team version of the internal testing program. ;)

I think people are mislead by the term "internal test".
It's as much of a "surprise" test as the tests carried out before the start of the Tour - everybody knows they'll be there, and as I said earlier they've been around for ages.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Fus087 said:
I think people are mislead by the term "internal test".
It's as much of a "surprise" test as the tests carried out before the start of the Tour - everybody knows they'll be there, and as I said earlier they've been around for ages.

This is a good example of applying the old view to doping control, looking for banned substances. Current anti-doping relies on frequent tests, looking for manipulation over time, not necessarily substances. No-one can keep their blood and urine looking just right for a week before a worlds or pre-Tour. But they can if they're given a friendly warning.

You have a good point.

The question is how much time there was between Bettini's "warning" and the test. Was it him saying at the breakfast table "oh, and at 11 o'clock, you'll all have to be at the team doctor for these tests we do every year", or did he alert them a week early?

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Fus087 said:
You have a good point.

The question is how much time there was between Bettini's "warning" and the test. Was it him saying at the breakfast table "oh, and at 11 o'clock, you'll all have to be at the team doctor for these tests we do every year", or did he alert them a week early?

I don't think that's the question. Any warning is enough time to manipulate if there's no chaperone. We know when hct "health" tests started, riders would dilute between the time the vampire arrived at the hotel and when they went down to meet the him and take the test.

In 2007 when chaperones were first introduced in the Tour, riders were videoed after stages riding across fields trying to get away from running chaperones in orange vests and clip boards.

Showergate also suggests every opportunity will be seized.

TRENDING THREADS