• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bicycle Chain Cleaner - Lynx Drivetrain Cleaner

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello Fellow Mountain Bikers,

My name is Randy, and in addition to being a NEMBA member I am a student at Tufts University studying Engineering Management along with my teammates Edward, Vanessa, and Jeffrey. As part of a New Product Development class, we have come up with a product idea which we think could be very beneficial to the mountain biking community and help to improve bicycle maintenence. In order to gather feedback and refine our product concept, we have put together a very brief survey (5 minutes). If you could pass this link along to other mountain bikers, we'd be very appreciative and value any suggestions or improvements that riders can think of!

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/400926/Road-Bike-Chain-Cleaning-Survey

Thank you for your time.
Randy

A

Anonymous

Honestly?

Sounds like the craziest Idea ever. If this was dragons den I would ask you how much have you invested in this so far.. And then tell you to STOP, dont put any more money into it. It is not going to sell.

Who on earth, seriously is going to buy a gadget that clips onto their bike to clean the chain as they ride. Occasional riders dont even bother cleaning their chain, and serious riders know how to do it properly. The device you are suggesting also already exists in the form of the Barbieri Chain Cleaner. All you have done is adapted it to fit on a bike.

Honestly, I see no way anyone in their right mind is going to buy your product. Please stop now before you invest any more time into it. Its doomed from the start.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I am inclined to concur with SkyFan although that was a little harsh

However I would be open to a portable colonic machine I could use while I sit in traffic during morning commute. perhaps attaching to the seat of the car..

just a thought

A

Anonymous

Boeing said:
I am inclined to concur with SkyFan although that was a little harsh

However I would be open to a portable colonic machine I could use while I sit in traffic during morning commute. perhaps attaching to the seat of the car..

just a thought

Harsh maybe, but in areas where people are trying to acheive success with something, sometimes being harsh is the best thing rather than saying you wouldnt buy it while encouraging them to carry on with development. they would get far worse from any marketing, manufacturing or sales company where they to take it that far.

Sorry If i was harsh :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I just took the survey, but when I try to submit it I get a time out error so I'm just going to post my response to the last question here. For what it's worth, I've had a career as a bike mechanic/service manager for going on 17 years, so my opinion is based on a very large amount of first-hand experience with cyclists and their bikes and isn't just idle speculation ;):

This sounds like a good idea on paper, but similar products have made it to market in the past and met with almost no customer interest. There are plenty of good chain lubes that will keep your drivetrain clean if used properly. The only people with dirty drivetrain parts are those that never learned the correct way to lube their chain in the first place (or use junk lube like White Lightning or Tri-Flow). I think your efforts would be better spent educating cyclists, but I applaud your efforts for at least trying to come up with a solution, albeit to a perceived, rather than real, problem.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Harsh maybe, but in areas where people are trying to acheive success with something, sometimes being harsh is the best thing rather than saying you wouldnt buy it while encouraging them to carry on with development. they would get far worse from any marketing, manufacturing or sales company where they to take it that far.

Sorry If i was harsh :D

well at least you didn't make fun of him like i did

my bad

TRENDING THREADS