• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bicycling finally fired Carmichael

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this has been previously reported, and clearly a longtime coming; but Bicycling finally dumped Carmichael, effective the March issue the new coaching columnist is James Herrara.

I guess they aren't making a big to do (probably in part because this should have happened a long time ago). I know some on the editorial staff wanted it done a while ago, but until Lance got popped, Carmichael was a draw for them. I wonder how much this, on top of lance's confession will affect CTS. A lot, I hope.

techknowgn said:
I don't know if this has been previously reported, and clearly a longtime coming; but Bicycling finally dumped Carmichael, effective the March issue the new coaching columnist is James Herrara.

Whatever law firm is suing publishers should absolutely go after Rodale Press. They were one of the few to actually substantially benefit from the Myth outside Tailwind/CSE/Carmichael.

Slightly related, Velonews deleted posts specifically referencing dope and glory, how to find the transcript to 60 Minutes' dope and glory to their latest Carmichael story.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Slightly related, Velonews deleted posts specifically referencing dope and glory, how to find the transcript to 60 Minutes' dope and glory to their latest Carmichael story.

Stopped going to Velonews when Graham "D*uche" Watson started photoshopping other riders out of Liestrong pictures.

Wonder what his "view" is now?

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Sure.

Please forgive the lack of precise dates, as it has been close to ten years in passing... Was during Liestrong's heyday, early 2000's, VeloNews posted GW pics of the last stage of the Tour.

The original pic was of Liestrong circling down the Champs, surrounded, obviously, by other riders. I think three were visible in the frame. Within hours, the photo had been changed, now showing ONLY Liestrong -- the other riders had been photoshopped out, and poorly at that.

I sent both VN and GW emails asking for explanations, no reply.
My guess is that he did it to make the image more 'poster friendly' so he could sell more.

GW loves his fraud.

Steel4Ever said:
Sure.

Please forgive the lack of precise dates, as it has been close to ten years in passing... Was during Liestrong's heyday, early 2000's, VeloNews posted GW pics of the last stage of the Tour.

The original pic was of Liestrong circling down the Champs, surrounded, obviously, by other riders. I think three were visible in the frame. Within hours, the photo had been changed, now showing ONLY Liestrong -- the other riders had been photoshopped out, and poorly at that.

I sent both VN and GW emails asking for explanations, no reply.
My guess is that he did it to make the image more 'poster friendly' so he could sell more.

GW loves his fraud.
as a photographer, i find that absolutely reprehensible!

May 9, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Whatever law firm is suing publishers should absolutely go after Rodale Press. They were one of the few to actually substantially benefit from the Myth outside Tailwind/CSE/Carmichael.

Rodale publishes Runners World, which still has Kristen Armstrong writing a fluff column. Time to drop her too.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
Very relevant again.
Carmichael and others injected 'extract of cortisone" to Strock and Kaiter.

Dope and Glory from CBS' 60 Minutes (2001).
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_...somethings-fishy-in-cycling-our-first-report/
PS: Wonderboy has a cameo appearance in denying mode.
We also need to give credit to Python for posting that link in another thread. Not sure which one of you can claim first poster dibs!

That IS relevant again. And REVEALING, in retrospect. One has to assume at this point in time that ALL the allegations made then are true. Which means that:
Carmichael is guilty of doping.
Rich Wenzel -- guilty. (corrected Jan 31, originally I wrote "? (Weisel??)" because I couldn't remember Wenzel's name)
USACycling -- guilty.
USOC -- guilty. (I am (!!!!) in a bit of shock at the depth here)

USACycling is now headed by Thomas Weisel, who owned Tailwind, which owned USPS. Weisel -- guilty.

I'm going to add this next link to a Bassons thread - or start a thread of its own, but here is also good: a current dialogue from BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0140yj4

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I had forgotten about that incident and thank you for bringing it back into discussion, not only regarding Bicycling, Carmichael and Weisel but the USOC as well.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
We also need to give credit to Python for posting that link in another thread. Not sure which one of you can claim first poster dibs!

That IS relevant again. And REVEALING, in retrospect. One has to assume at this point in time that ALL the allegations made then are true. Which means that:
Rich ? (Weisel??) -- guilty.
USACycling -- guilty.

USACycling is now headed by Thomas Weisel, who owned Tailwind, which owned USPS. Weisel -- guilty.

I'm going to add this next link to a Bassons thread - or start a thread of its own, but here is also good: a current dialogue from BBC.

Why the shock? Carl Lewis and half the olympic team tested positive at the olympic trials for Seoul. USOC covered it up.

hiero2 said:
Rich ? (Weisel??) -- guilty.
USACycling -- guilty.

Hold on, there are some problems with your summary.

The Wenzel/Carmichael doping system for Juniors happened pre-Wiesel. It was at a time when 7-11 (Southland Corp.) was THE major backer of USA Cycling. The way I have heard the story, Southland was comfortable with Carmichael regardless of his lack of credentials, so he got the job.

At some point soon after, Southland's enthusiasm for cycling cools for some reason. Don't rush to assume it was because of the doping. I don't know either way.

Wiesel comes in later, when the federation is in financial trouble.

Google the terms "Les Earnest" and "usa cycling" There's a bunch of good stuff about the not-by-the-rules takeover of USA Cycling by Wiesel.

Benotti69 said:
Why the shock? Carl Lewis and half the olympic team tested positive at the olympic trials for Seoul. USOC covered it up.

Those were the good old days before the USOC/Salt Lake Organizing Committee bribed the IOC selection committee.

Not that this was a novel practice, but just that it made big headlines.

You have to keep 1988 in historical context. No walls had fallen, the Stasi controlled the medal podiums, the US was still battling the Evil Empire and some Canadian was the fastest man in the world.

Dave.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:

"right now I'm wishing I was more accomplished in Adobe Photoshop so that I could use this powerful image-enhancing software to replace Contador with Schleck in my many images of them together..."
-- GW, CycleSport, 01/2011

His love for (and incompetent use of) Photofraud is unabashed.

DirtyWorks said:

The Wenzel/Carmichael doping system for Juniors happened pre-Wiesel. It was at a time when 7-11 (Southland Corp.) was THE major backer of USA Cycling. The way I have heard the story, Southland was comfortable with Carmichael regardless of his lack of credentials, so he got the job.

At some point soon after, Southland's enthusiasm for cycling cools for some reason. Don't rush to assume it was because of the doping. I don't know either way.

Wiesel comes in later, when the federation is in financial trouble.

Google the terms "Les Earnest" and "usa cycling" There's a bunch of good stuff about the not-by-the-rules takeover of USA Cycling by Wiesel.

Thought I read somewhere that Southland Corp "cooled" on cycling bc the 7 Eleven team weren't winning major races, and they felt they were dumping too much into it & not getting enough return on their investments. I could swear I read that.

Carmichael is pathetic, but kudos to him I guess for duping so many. Personally, Im glad it was/is Carmichael and not a more respected rider like Phinney or Heiden.

86TDFWinner said:
Thought I read somewhere that Southland Corp "cooled" on cycling bc the 7 Eleven team weren't winning major races, and they felt they were dumping too much into it & not getting enough return on their investments. I could swear I read that.

That could be. Someone reading this probably has more direct knowledge. Post it up!

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

The Wenzel/Carmichael doping system for Juniors happened pre-Wiesel. . . .
Correct - and I will correct the original. The problem is I could not remember WENZEL's last name - all that I could think of was Weisel, but no relation to the later Weisel (Thomas, right?) of USACycling and Tailwind.

DirtyWorks said:
It was at a time when 7-11 (Southland Corp.) was THE major backer of USA Cycling. The way I have heard the story, Southland was comfortable with Carmichael regardless of his lack of credentials, so he got the job.

. . .
86TDFWinner said:

Carmichael is pathetic, but kudos to him I guess for duping so many. Personally, Im glad it was/is Carmichael and not a more respected rider like Phinney or Heiden.

From my memory of those days, Southland was hitting some deep economic bad times, and the sports sponsorship probably didn't help any. Ochowicz' book about 7/11 is a pretty good recap.

I can see Phinney pushing the edges of the envelope, but not Heiden. Heiden might go to the edges, but he wouldn't push them. And I don't think Phinney would have gone that way by much - so yeah, concur.