• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Big Firm vs Boutique - Who do you prefer

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

when it comes to kit, I noticed that there is a rising number of new boutique size brands making pretty dope cycling gear, like the newcomer ZunnyArt, or more established Blacksheep cycling and Panache. On the other hand, the traditional heavy weights such as Santini, Castelli, or Assos are offering good quality, solid designs and a lot of history of course.

I think that despite a nice bike, its worth putting on some nice gear when going for a ride, especially for group rides and coffee brakes.

Which cycling gear do you prefer?

Also, lets put some pics of you favorite kits here if you like, it would be great to get an overview of whats out there

yeah
dressing for the coffee break is important
huge consideration there :rolleyes:

assos bibs coz they fit me the best i've ever had.....just buy the same pair over and over again - black
defeet aireator sox - coz i like them - low cut
jersey - i literally have 50 - 60 of them hanging up - just what ever takes my fancy on the day - multiple brands and cuts
arm / leg / knee warmers - sock guy and nalini - coz i like them and they fit me well

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm not big on their marketing (claiming ownership of the heritage of cycling) but the British Rapha stuff is really really good, if you like the retro-modern styling. Castelli is way over-priced. Assos is good quality and lasts forever, but the styling needs a bit of a refresh. Santini is always goof value, as is craft.

I suppose my favorite 'boutique' kit is Ground Effect, but then I know some of the guys there and I don't have to pay for it :D

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
You know it is possible to look nice just for yourself rather than for other people ;)

(something a lot of men don't seem to understand about women)

I love wool jerseys. Not particularly retro ones but ones without loads of logos. They are extremely comfortable, have a large useable temperature range and don't smell. I currently have a yellow Torm one with 2 black stripes, a French tricolore from Cima Coppi (my favourite) and a blue vulpine one which is slightly lighter weight and works brilliantly as a base layer under a waterproof jacket or when it gets really hot. Black shorts from Pactimo as they fit me and the cytech chamois is the best I've ever sat on. Black yorkshire wool socks from Planet X so I don't have to think about it.

Wet weather gear, I buy the stuff that works, whatever the brand. Currently have an Orange POC AVIP jacket and it's bloody brilliant. Endura yellow pakagilet is perfect for when it't not going to rain for the whole ride.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:
You know it is possible to look nice just for yourself rather than for other people ;)

(something a lot of men don't seem to understand about women)

I agree. But I think inside we would all like to be admired by everyone.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I style myself on these 3 images .

images

images

images

Bustedknuckle said:
Rapha, best bibs and jerseys I have ever used(35 years or cycling). Best neck Gator, best hats, the best. Expensive, yes, but far better durability and fit and function than some others which are also very expensive.
My other half agrees with you on Rapha, she says its head and shoulders above anything else available for women - including Assos.

Me, I've always just worn club/squad/LBS team kit

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I use Pearl Izumi shorts - I've tried several other brands but find they abrade my skin. When shorts used to use real chamois I wore Kucharick shorts.
Jerseys I use what ever brand fits me and looks good. Fortunately our Pactimo club jersey meets that definition.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
I have more important things to do with my money than to try to impress other cyclists. If it does the job and does not look horrendous, I'll buy any brand anywhere, so long as it's inexpensive.

Ironically the most "inexpensive" kit I own is the stuff I paid most for. I have yet to wear out a single Rapha or Assos piece. The bonus is that the expensive kits works very, very well, while it is lasting a very, very long time. Cheap kit doesn't work as well, and often doesn't last as long.

Re:

avanti said:
I use Pearl Izumi shorts - I've tried several other brands but find they abrade my skin. When shorts used to use real chamois I wore Kucharick shorts.
Jerseys I use what ever brand fits me and looks good. Fortunately our Pactimo club jersey meets that definition.

I have one pair of PI. I actually find them quite uncomfortable, especially in the wet. Quite abrasive, so my experience is opposite to yours. They might be a cheap pair - I can't recall what I paid. (And I've never looked back after leaving real chamois behind - I hated that slimy stuff)

42x16ss said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Rapha, best bibs and jerseys I have ever used(35 years or cycling). Best neck Gator, best hats, the best. Expensive, yes, but far better durability and fit and function than some others which are also very expensive.
My other half agrees with you on Rapha, she says its head and shoulders above anything else available for women - including Assos.

Me, I've always just worn club/squad/LBS team kit

My other half loves her Rapha bibs. She says they've ruined every other brand for her.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
I have more important things to do with my money than to try to impress other cyclists. If it does the job and does not look horrendous, I'll buy any brand anywhere, so long as it's inexpensive.
I think that you'll find that we all feel the same way, we're just listing brands that we've had good experiences with and therefore, continue to use :eek:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
My first high zoot pair of shorts were Castelli. very comfortable but poor lifespan. then I tried Campagnolo. good life but a lot of broken threads. eventually the pad cracked and would fill with water. sit down and get a cool surprise. spotty quality control from year to year. Still were very comfortable. tired some sugoi top end and they delaminated in the chamois. PI stretched out of shape after a year. Pair of club shorts from Columbia have been terrific and cheap but the best yet are ASSOS. every generation just gets better. I first bought a pair of Airblock tights for the really cold winter rides. 8 years and they are finally getting thin in the sit down area. Still are very good fit and the elastics are still stretchy Their prices are very off putting but they last and last. Still impossible to try 400 dollar shorts but their lower priced shorts still offer most of the features without the billionaire cost. They are hard to evaluate as they have a really good lifespan and retain most of their original function right up to retirement time. even then a pair of too thin shorts can get a winter or two under tights. Hard to say they are a good value but against other high end offerings the fact that they last so long makes them a pretty good choice if you can come up with the premium price. Again I doubt the super high cost items are going to last that much longer to amortize that step up and a crash could really hurt the bank account. Getting into a need for insurance here.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I wear anything , I don't go for any single brand. I have a mish mash of cycling clothes. I still use my old Adidas pack rain jacket. Leg warmers though I find you need decent ones. Fit is more important than price.