• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biggest dissapointment of the Cobbled Classics 2013

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who was the biggest dissapointment in the 2013 Cobbled Classics?

• Other (who?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:
I imagine that's a result of poor tactics from BMC, not the individual riders. It would be nice if BMC would stop burning their young talent to support a guy like Hushovd who clearly is done.

For me the biggest dissapointment was tactics or lack of. Why BMC, SKY and OPQS waited behind Cancellara and didnt attack him relentlessly was a big miss for me. Watching EBH lose the wheel in RVV was far too predictable and continues the general cynical, conservative tone of cycling at the moment. Classics become less interesting year on year, route tinkering doesnt mean anything if teams dont take any proactivity.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:
I imagine that's a result of poor tactics from BMC, not the individual riders. It would be nice if BMC would stop burning their young talent to support a guy like Hushovd who clearly is done.

Where did they burn him? Phinney's always been free to choose his own schedule, and I've rarely seen him do his domestique duties in the classics. Atm he's worse than Hushovd, who would at least have made the front peloton if he didn't have all those gearing problems in PR.

BMC did have the best tactics possible; their best guy was in front(GVA) while the lesser riders(Schar, Phinney) attacked early to put pressure on Cancellara.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I went with Thomas. Hushovd is past it. Pozzato is, well, Pozzato. I guess I could have gone EBH, but he seems to be a second class citizen over at Sky. There was so much hype, or maybe just in what I read, about Sky's new training method for the classics and the results were pfft and Thomas was on the list.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The biggest disappointment was that Boonen and Ballan were out. I'm also disappointed GVA didn't win anything, i don't expect him to, but with that many top 5 results, he'll have to win something big someday, I'm hoping RVV.

Pentacycle said:
The reason they attacked early was most likely that they didn't feel like making the final selection in any other way. Did anyone seriously believe Phinney was a possible winner at Roubaix? He finished several minutes down last year, and he had a knee injury which only cleared up a week before the race.

And BMC's best man was definitely GVA...
Phinney admitted to the press after the race that when he got into the break he went from thinking "Gee, this is a nice move!" to " Ah cr@p, I've gone too early. This is gonna suck!"

He was never going to win, but he is capable of making the final selections. A top 10 was definitely on the cards if he rode smarter. Same for Hayman. Instead they decided to mark Stuart O'Grady :confused:

May 28, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Phinney admitted to the press after the race that when he got into the break he went from thinking "Gee, this is a nice move!" to " Ah cr@p, I've gone too early. This is gonna suck!"

He was never going to win, but he is capable of making the final selections. A top 10 was definitely on the cards if he rode smarter. Same for Hayman. Instead they decided to mark Stuart O'Grady :confused:

He was never in the break afaik, and how do you know if he's capable of making the final selection? There are dozens of riders who think they can, but Phinney just isn't that good (yet).