• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biggest dissapointment of the Cobbled Classics 2013

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who was the biggest dissapointment in the 2013 Cobbled Classics?

• Other (who?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Boom and EBH were a little better than Hushovd and Pozzato. Thomas had some bad luck but was still not so great. Biggest difference between my expectation and performance was Pippo so that's how I voted.

Sky beats out OPQS for me as most disappointing team. I din't expect them to win anything but I figured they'd do a bit better than a 3rd at Dwars. OPQS did ok without Boonen being there and were by far the best team at PR even with some bad luck.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Garmin messed up. Lots of potential with Vansummeren, Nuyens, Bauer, Maaskant, but nowhere to be seen near the front.

Most of this ofc caused by bad luck, but Vansummeren should've been good in Roubaix.

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Martin said:
Other: Flecha.
I saw him racing only at Gent Wevelgem... and wish him better rest of the season.
EDIT: who's pippo pozzato?
I think it was a good Spring for Flecha: 5th in Gent-Wevelgem, and 8th in Paris-Roubaix. He's like 36, what more could he have done? At this age he still was the best rider of Vacansoleil on the cobbles.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Juan Antonio Flecha.

It was spring of great chances for him. Strongest cobbled sprinters (like Boonen and Ballan) didn't start, he was an absolute leader of the team, but results were not good for this experienced rider.

And I think, this year was the last chance for him:(

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
geraint thomas

the bookies believed the media hype around his classics season for some reason

i got some great odds against him in head to heads so i am happy with his failure (that said he is a really friendly guy who i have bumped into out on the road a few times and would gladly ride with again)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Pippo seemed to be more than decent in February/early March, so I expected him to be as good as last year.

Basically this.

There's something about Pozzato and bad weather. I think it was Millar who said he thought he [Pozzato] didn't like getting his shoes dirty. ;)

Buffalo Soldier said:
Phinney in Roubaix
Yep, Phinney and Matt Hayman for my money. I don't know WTF they were thinking at Roubaix, they were BMC and Sky's best chance for a real result and they burn themselves out going hard in the early move. Both of them were capable of far more on the day.

Edit: Pozzato and Hushovd raced this spring? :confused:

May 28, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Yep, Phinney and Matt Hayman for my money. I don't know WTF they were thinking at Roubaix, they were BMC and Sky's best chance for a real result and they burn themselves out going hard in the early move. Both of them were capable of far more on the day.

The reason they attacked early was most likely that they didn't feel like making the final selection in any other way. Did anyone seriously believe Phinney was a possible winner at Roubaix? He finished several minutes down last year, and he had a knee injury which only cleared up a week before the race.

And BMC's best man was definitely GVA...

Hayman is strong and probably was Sky's best chance- but going into the race, EBH, Stannard and Thomas probably would have been ahead of him in the team hierarchy.

But it is disappointing that Sky did not have him as their leader- if that is what you mean.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Didn't know about Phinneys knee injury. How serious was it?

I didn't expect him to win, but a top 10 shouldn't be a surprise at all. The field was rather weak this year too. Do you know how much of the people who placed in front of Phinney in 2012 rode a top 10 this year? 2: Turgot & Terpstra.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:

Edit: Pozzato and Hushovd raced this spring? :confused:

I imagine that's a result of poor tactics from BMC, not the individual riders. It would be nice if BMC would stop burning their young talent to support a guy like Hushovd who clearly is done.