• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike fitting with iPhone !

NicolasSMB

BANNED
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello everybody !

I love cycling and iPhone. So, I developed an iPhone application for cyclists: a bike fitting calculator named SizeMyBike size my bike. Do you like this idea ? I hope that this application will be useful for you !!!

iphoneh1.png

NicolasSMB

BANNED
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
That is true for very accurate studies.
Nevertheless, I think that SizeMyBike could be very useful for beginners. Indeed, this tool will allow to choose the right frame size and will provide a suitable nominal position.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
looks good but how about a setback measurement?

With all the hub-a-bub about setback and the UCI mandating it to be at least 5 cm regardless of morphology (unless you go for a morphological exception), why not include the distance the tip of the saddle is behind/in front of the bottom bracket. Also you might want to develop a graphic for TT bikes that would include tip of saddle to middle of elbow pads etc.

exceptional work and a neat way to store measurements.

cheers.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Man ..... bike fitting on your phone? Am I getting too old .... or does the ever broadening reliance on cell phones to do everything but wipe your rear display the dis-connect to the real world. Bike fit is about feel ..... though software has it's place for replication of designs and pure fodder . . . which today is becoming the new reality :eek:

This is a harsh comment, yes ..... but please don't take it personally.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
NicolasSMB said:
That is true for very accurate studies.
Nevertheless, I think that SizeMyBike could be very useful for beginners. Indeed, this tool will allow to choose the right frame size and will provide a suitable nominal position.

Still disagree, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, beginner or expert. What this app doesn't account for, which is extremely important, is the differences in physiology from person to person. Not everybody with the same measurements are going to be riding the same size bike and subsequent parts due to variances in rotation of the limbs, and back flexibility. This can only be done in person at a shop.

Also, there's nothing new here, because there are tons of websites that already do what this app does, and some have been around for well over a decade. So basically, use the app or web if you want to ballpark, or go to your LBS or custom builder and get fit correctly. I'll always recommend the latter.

I'd rather see a spoke calculator app. Would be really straight forward too because it's all just math and algorithms, not something tangible like bike fit should be.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Still disagree, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, beginner or expert. What this app doesn't account for, which is extremely important, is the differences in physiology from person to person. Not everybody with the same measurements are going to be riding the same size bike and subsequent parts due to variances in rotation of the limbs, and back flexibility. This can only be done in person at a shop.

Also, there's nothing new here, because there are tons of websites that already do what this app does, and some have been around for well over a decade. So basically, use the app or web if you want to ballpark, or go to your LBS or custom builder and get fit correctly. I'll always recommend the latter.

I'd rather see a spoke calculator app. Would be really straight forward too because it's all just math and algorithms, not something tangible like bike fit should be.

Just the very mention made my head hurt...any type of calculator is fine by me. Whatever prevents me from having to think mathematically.

As for the bike fit app, I agree it's best to get a fit from a professional. Most shops will do it for free with a purchase of any bike (if not, go to a different shop). I was actually fitted for both bikes at the shop, then that fit was confirmed by a local orthopedist.

You have to consider the demographic. A hardnosed racer wouldn't use it, but a young casual entry level rider not concerned with millimeters just trying to get more comfortable may appreciate the app.

But being a serious cyclist, I definately see what RDV4ROUBAIX is saying.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I could see an app like that for team mechanics to record all the riders settings.
If it even got 1% of the general population to raise their seat I could be a great app.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

You are right. The best fit is accomplished by an experienced person, etc. And the best bikes and service are at your local bike shop.

You're conveniently forgetting that most people don't fit their bikes, and won't pay to get fit anyway. So if you don't want to use it, then don't. But don't try to argue that this isn't a good starting point because it can't hurt. Remember, Walmart sells more bikes at less than $200 than all the rest of the bikes at all the good bike shops, so not everyone thinks like you and me! Yea, there are websites that do this. So what. I say go for it. Great idea to let the market decide if this is a success.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
TexasTom said:
You are right. The best fit is accomplished by an experienced person, etc. And the best bikes and service are at your local bike shop.

You're conveniently forgetting that most people don't fit their bikes, and won't pay to get fit anyway. So if you don't want to use it, then don't. But don't try to argue that this isn't a good starting point because it can't hurt. Remember, Walmart sells more bikes at less than $200 than all the rest of the bikes at all the good bike shops, so not everyone thinks like you and me! Yea, there are websites that do this. So what. I say go for it. Great idea to let the market decide if this is a success.

Agreed, great for the cheap bike shoppers that aren't in the sport for the long haul. Big difference, since most of us here are.

Don't mean to berate this iphone app so much, but it's just not for serious cyclists. People in-the-know are going to get a pro fit in person. Team mechanics will not use this either like previously suggested. I'm going to start carrying around some sort of pocket EMP to blow up all the iphones around me everywhere I go. So annoying.

TRENDING THREADS