• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike for the little girl!

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
Hey,
I am just thinking about how much I should spend on a kids bike for a 8 year old girl. I don't want to buy a very cheap one that's not worth it or gets damaged soon after the purchase. A little pricey one is good if it's worth it. She is into cycling, so hopefully, she'll ride them a lot.
How are Cannondale bikes? I saw this kids bike: Cannondale Trail 20 while I was looking on the Internet. Do you think 500 is a little too high for a kids bike or is it worth it due to the quality and resale value?
Any advice will be really helpful.
Thanks!

errjo1 said:
Hey,
I am just thinking about how much I should spend on a kids bike for a 8 year old girl. I don't want to buy a very cheap one that's not worth it or gets damaged soon after the purchase. A little pricey one is good if it's worth it. She is into cycling, so hopefully, she'll ride them a lot.
How are Cannondale bikes? I saw this kids bike: Cannondale Trail 20 while I was looking on the Internet. Do you think 500 is a little too high for a kids bike or is it worth it due to the quality and resale value?
Thanks!
I know this is spam that's cleverly worded to tug at the hearts of all us softies that would never get in the way of a kid starting to ride a bike but it's still spam all the same because we'll never hear from the OP again and the intent of this post was to drive traffic from here to another site.

Will we?

I challenge the OP to prove me wrong.

First time posters that include links in their first comments and create this kind of narrative is not new on this site, ho hum.

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
Irondan said:
errjo1 said:
Hey,
Thanks!
I know this is spam that's cleverly worded to tug at the hearts of all us softies that would never get in the way of a kid starting to ride a bike but it's still spam all the same because we'll never hear from the OP again and the intent of this post was to drive traffic from here to another site.

Will we?

First time posters that include links in their first comments and create this kind of narrative is not new on this site, ho hum.
I am sorry if you think I am a spammer, but I am not. I had a concern which I hoped someone here could help me with. The link was added to make sure that you guys and I are on the same page talking about that particular bike. If you already know about that, don't click on it and just talk about it and I'll still get what I need, a useful advice. I hope you'll understand me. :)

errjo1 said:
Hey,
How are Cannondale bikes? I saw this cannondale[/b]-trail-20-girls/]kids bike: Cannondale Trail 20 while I was looking on the Internet. Do you think 500 is a little too high for a kids bike or is it worth it due to the quality and resale value?
Thanks!

Don't buy anything cannon-dale.. :)

errjo1 said:
Irondan said:
errjo1 said:
Hey,
Thanks!

Will we?

I am sorry if you think I am a spammer, but I am not. I had a concern which I hoped someone here could help me with. The link was added to make sure that you guys and I are on the same page talking about that particular bike. If you already know about that, don't click on it and just talk about it and I'll still get what I need, a useful advice. I hope you'll understand me. :)
Color me amazed!!

I'm usually right when my spamdar goes off but I'm glad I'm not on this one... :)

Welcome to the forum!

Re:

Squire said:
I love this. :D

The ever-exciting spammer or not spammer question.

Sorry for not helping out with any advice.
I'm still not convinced that this isn't an attempt at spamming the forum but I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt.... For now....

Anytime a first time poster links a product, for whatever reason, to a topic it's almost always spam. This would be the first time that it wasn't in my time as a mod.

I would never, ever spend $500 on an 8 year olds bike, ever! Are you kidding me? Even if I could afford it (which I can) I still would never plunk down that much money on a bike that they would and could not appreciate it for what it is. Not to mention running a risk of someone stealing it from them or they get scared after riding it once and never riding it again. I don't know, to me it just seems a bit extravagant but others may disagree and that's okay...

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
Irondan said:
Color me amazed!!

I'm usually right when my spamdar goes off but I'm glad I'm not on this one... :)

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!
Bustedknuckle said:
May I know why? :)
Irondan said:
Squire said:

I'm still not convinced that this isn't an attempt at spamming the forum but I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt.... For now....

Anytime a first time poster links a product, for whatever reason, to a topic it's almost always spam. This would be the first time that it wasn't in my time as a mod.

I would never, ever spend $500 on an 8 year olds bike, ever! Are you kidding me? Even if I could afford it (which I can) I still would never plunk down that much money on a bike that they would and could not appreciate it for what it is. Not to mention running a risk of someone stealing it from them or they get scared after riding it once and never riding it again. I don't know, to me it just seems a bit extravagant but others may disagree and that's okay...
Thanks again. I had my concern regarding spending that much, which is why I asked about it. In fact I have seen expensive Islabikes for kids. I wasn't interested and pricing was the factor. I don't think she will be scared. She likes riding. And more importantly, I am not going to buy it without her approval. So, can you suggest any cheaper alternatives, if not a model name, at least a good brand that offers cheaper kids bikes?
I won't blame you for being suspicious. But thanks for giving the benefit of doubt.
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Wow! The most action 'Bikes & Gear' section of the forum has seen in a stretch. Credit.. spam.
Well!!

errjo1 said:
Irondan said:
Color me amazed!!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!
Bustedknuckle said:
May I know why? :)
Irondan said:
Squire said:

Thanks again. I had my concern regarding spending that much, which is why I asked about it. In fact I have seen expensive Islabikes for kids. I wasn't interested and pricing was the factor. I don't think she will be scared. She likes riding. And more importantly, I am not going to buy it without her approval. So, can you suggest any cheaper alternatives, if not a model name, at least a good brand that offers cheaper kids bikes?
I won't blame you for being suspicious. But thanks for giving the benefit of doubt.
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Wow! The most action 'Bikes & Gear' section of the forum has seen in a stretch. Credit.. spam.
Well!!
I don't know the brand names of the cheaper bikes they sell at local box stores but I've had an eight year old girl in the past and know that they would most certainly notice a picture of "my little pony" or a "frozen" themed bike or whatever popular movie that little girls love these days over the brand of a particular bike. I'm not saying to go out and buy a cheap bike, what I'm saying is that if you want to make an eight year old girl happy with a bike make it a bike that fits with her little girl dreams and fantasies and you can't go wrong. In a couple years when she's bigger you can upgrade to a higher quality bike that she'll appreciate for the fine machine that it really is.

Good luck :)

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The price listed by the OP is higher than the prices quoted on the Cannondale site. Why not buy her a single speed with no shock absorbing fork?
Also, a good LBS should throw in a helmet at no extra cost.

Personally I think $500 is bit much for an 8 year old, you say you don't want the bike to break in a short time but instead of breaking she'll outgrow in a short time! then you'll have a $500 bike with no one to ride it unless you have a younger child coming up through the ranks, so then you sell the $500 child's bike for $100, hmm doesn't make much sense anymore does it?

And why a mountain bike with a suspension fork? does she do fast down hill rough riding? if not the suspension fork is a waste of not only money that could have been used to get a better frame and nice components, but they are also heavy and sluggish feeling due to the fork constantly moving as she is cranking which takes power away from the road; in addition to that inexpensive suspension forks are not reliable at all and are more trouble than they're worth, of course she would probably outgrow the bike before the suspension fork broke but the potential is there. And if she is doing competitive downhill racing the cheaper suspension forks aren't up to the task of that kind of performance.

I understand the need to get a nicer bike especially since I and you are cyclists as well, but an 8 year old will not appreciate a $500 bike anymore than a $300 bike, and a $300 bike will last just as long. Giant makes a couple of bikes, one is called Escape 24 (size of bike) for about $290; or the XTC JR 20/24 Lite (sizes available) for $230, that's the one I bought my grandson and it works great, but he will outgrow it, however I have two younger grand siblings coming up that will be able to ride it when he no longer can. The Giant can be found or ordered from bike shops that carry that brand, and all the parts can be dealer fixed and replaced if necessary unlike Walmart bikes, it uses a 7 speed cassette system with no front derailleur which keeps things in that department simple for a younger person to operate.

By the way, my grandson and I go off road quite a bit, he's never needed a suspension fork, heck neither have I and I'm use to trails in the mountains of Southern California.

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
Re:

jtnkkm said:
You can get a good kid's bike for around $200
There are many kids bikes around. The one mentioned by the original post is a really great bicycle. I got it for my niece and she loves it. The best part about this was that it carries the name of the cycling team I really support.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Squire said:

As you've explicitly permitted disagreement, let me oblige :D
If it's not a major burden on your budget, I'm absolutely fine with spending $500 and more on a kids' bike, for a kid who is likely to ride it. The differences in geo, weight and quality of kit you get on the better bikes (for instance Canyon, Commencal, Islabikes, Early rider) are well worth it IMO. Extravagant maybe, but I know lots of people who aren't well off who routinely blow $100+ on booze and meals in a weekend.
As long as it isn't stolen or lost, it probably won't even cost that much more than the $200 bike in the long run, as good kids bikes are scarce and highly sought after on the second hand market. The $200 bike with Frozen stickers on the other hand is worth zilch the moment the stickers peel or some other princess is in fashion.

TRENDING THREADS