• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike Teams transfers 2012????

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Machu Picchu said:
Team Sky rumoured to switch from Pinarello to Specialized for 2013, was expected as Sky/Cav was keen on making the switch for this year.

So another team on Specialized or will they pull out from Astana, Saxo Bank (depends on where Contador ends up?) or OPQS (unlikely given success this year).

Conti w Saxo for next three years... (from Saxo)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Team Sky rumoured to switch from Pinarello to Specialized for 2013, was expected as Sky/Cav was keen on making the switch for this year.

So another team on Specialized or will they pull out from Astana, Saxo Bank (depends on where Contador ends up?) or OPQS (unlikely given success this year).

Well I guess the Contador confirmation confirms that Specialized will be staying with Saxo then, how about Astana or will they run four teams next year?

Specialized outbid Pinarello by 3mil apparently.

Cav is dead happy with his Pinarello, hasn't broken as many as he did with specialized but I'm sure specialized will spin it somehow.

Sky will also be wearing rapha.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Sky Statement :

We are very proud to be a Pinarello team and are currently under contract with them until the end of 2012, they are also one of the companies we are speaking to about 2013 and beyond. Although we have been approached by other companies no decision has been taken and Team Sky remains a Pinarello team.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old fart, I miss the days when the predominant bikes in the peloton were Colnago's, Look's, DeRosa's, Pinarello's Bianchi's, etc, ie the classic Italian, French, Belgian/Dutch bike manufacturers. I know it's business and comes down to which company can offer the best deal, but Specialized and Trek and Giant sound like they come from some big box-store chain.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
IMO the Sky Specialized rumour is probably true, but they're compelled to deny it while their sponsorship by Pinarello continues. Hence the statement.

I wonder will Pinarello seek another team as a replacement, or just stick with Movistar in the WT.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
bobbins said:

Cav is dead happy with his Pinarello, hasn't broken as many as he did with specialized but I'm sure specialized will spin it somehow.

This rumor was on also last winter.

I agree with taiwan that Team Sky will denie but most probably true as Specialized seems interested to have Cavendish among its riders.

It will be interesting to see what sponsor will be in Astana as Nibali is joining the team; Pinarello? Cannondale?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:

Figures, can't wait for the hard training ride video's :rolleyes:, that probably means they will have to change the team colors to Black and White or Black and Dark Gray, they can't be to flashy to represent the hard Rapha brand :D

Somebody notify BroDeal, he's gonna love this.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think Giant and Rabobank will be together for a long time. Both companies are known for being loyal to their sponsors/sponsees. Raboabank was riding Colnago for 12 years. Giant stayed with High Road despite the exit of T-Mobile, Adidas and Audi because of the doping scandals. Giant only went to Rabobank after High Road ditched them for Scott starting 2009. That was a good decision since HTC/High Road/Columbia later ditched Scott for Specialized, and the team didn't last even though they won so much.

Does anyone know when Menchov won the 2009 Giro, was it the first ever GT victory for Giant?

If adidas want to stay in cycling I would be very surprised to see Rapha sponsoring Sky. Rapha wouldn't be able to afford sponsoring a ProTour team, and I'd imagine Sky would rather be with adidas for all the technical/product development adidas would bring. Would be interesting to know if the Team Sky/British Cycling kit contracts are linked?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
ruswilks said:
If adidas want to stay in cycling I would be very surprised to see Rapha sponsoring Sky. Rapha wouldn't be able to afford sponsoring a ProTour team, and I'd imagine Sky would rather be with adidas for all the technical/product development adidas would bring. Would be interesting to know if the Team Sky/British Cycling kit contracts are linked?

Yeah considering that Wiggins wanted to avoid the race lead in the Dauphinee so he could wear his usual skinsuit, I'm not sure how credible Rapha would be as an alternative.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Does anyone know when Menchov won the 2009 Giro, was it the first ever GT victory for Giant?

I thought of Vino's Vuelta but that was on Astana. So yes I think, unless something happens to Armstrong's Tours and Kloeden won in 2004. But I'm not the best on cycling history of any period.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
I thought of Vino's Vuelta but that was on Astana. So yes I think, unless something happens to Armstrong's Tours and Kloeden won in 2004. But I'm not the best on cycling history of any period.

Did a little digging, being such a hardcore fan of Giant. Giant started sponsoring ONCE in 1998, they had been on the podium for all 3 GTs with ONCE, but never won. Switched to T-Mobile in 2004, only podium at the Tour in 2004 and 2006 (Ullrich was disqualified from 2005). 2008 with High Road was never about GT, then Giant finally won Giro in 2009 with Rabo. That took them a while.