• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike weight regulations

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Is it time to move on from the current UCI weight limits for road bikes?
Materials and construction techniques have come on a long way in recent times. Many companies are selling bikes off the shelf which are well under the legal limit (eg. spec sl3 at 5.9kg), without any saftey sacrifices. Is it perhaps time to update the rules? theres only a certain amount of bar tape which you can use to increase weight.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
there are loads of qualities i look for in a bike, i like that once i build down to 6.8kg i don't have to think about weight anymore and can use money to focus on other things, or spend less.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ambrose said:
Materials and construction techniques have come on a long way in recent times. Many companies are selling bikes off the shelf which are well under the legal limit (eg. spec sl3 at 5.9kg), without any saftey sacrifices. Is it perhaps time to update the rules? theres only a certain amount of bar tape which you can use to increase weight.

Less weight mean less reliable and more expensive. I'm thinking that when genuine pros come down the col in a bunch at 50 mph, they don't want to worry that their frame/fork/wheels are light, light. Much different than joe consumer doing his 35 mile sunday ride.

ambrose said:

Yeah it is time to INCREASE the minimum weight to around 20 pounds.

Bicycle prices are insane. This might not be a problem for pro racers or old guys riding 5000 dollar bikes in local masters racers.

However it is a major problem for young riders trying to get started.

I wonder if that is part of why track racing seems to be getting more popular. Track bikes are relatively cheap.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
ambrose said:
Many companies are selling bikes off the shelf which are well under the legal limit (eg. spec sl3 at 5.9kg), without any saftey sacrifices.

I don't believe that safety has been properly addressed and like the wheels regulation should be in place before reduction in weight is considered.

I've seen too many carbon steerers break out during a crash leaving the rider to fly through the air with his bars on his way to a face plant.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
Yeah it is time to INCREASE the minimum weight to around 20 pounds.

Bicycle prices are insane. This might not be a problem for pro racers or old guys riding 5000 dollar bikes in local masters racers.

However it is a major problem for young riders trying to get started.

I wonder if that is part of why track racing seems to be getting more popular. Track bikes are relatively cheap.

Wholly agree, you can build a good 8kg bike for a 1/3 of the price of a 6.8. Often wonder if we need two categories one weight and material controlled and the other open.

Modiss said:
Wholly agree, you can build a good 8kg bike for a 1/3 of the price of a 6.8. Often wonder if we need two categories one weight and material controlled and the other open.

That is actually an awesome idea. I think the junior classes for sure should have a 20 pound minimum weight limit for bikes. That way the kids with the rich parents won't have all the advantages. They already have the advantage of their parents paying for professional coaching, at least the equipment should be almost equal.