• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bikerumor revolution: Rock Racing Building Belt-Drive Road Bike and a Fixed Gear

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
March 10, 2010 - 1pm EST | rock-racing-2010-bicycle-belt-fixie4

The ragtrade-sponsored bad boy team is bringing out a line of bikes, including a road bike with carbon belt-drive.

As the pic reveals, Rock Racing is to produce a road bike with a synchronous polychain drive. It wouldn't be UCI-legal but then precious little from Rock Racing would ever please the UCI. No, you couldn’t race a belt drive in a pro race, but then when has appeasing the UCI ever been Ball’s M.O.?

Sure, Rock Racing’s made some interesting talent-acquisition decisions and is currently relegated to being the fastest amateur team in the world, but when it comes to business, it’s succeeded in getting and keeping attention, which is no small feat. And let’s be honest, their new road bikes are pretty bad a$$ looking.
DSC00002.JPG

The final production design in white.

Now, Rock & Republic / Rock Racing founder Michael Ball says they’ll be producing a road bike with a belt drive, and we found photos of a fixed-gear bike and some pretty solid looking components on their website, indicating they’re actually taking this whole bike brand thing seriously.
rock-racing-bicycle-belt-fixie4.jpg

rock-racing-bicycle-belt-fixie4

The only things for sale at present are clothing and jerseys, bibs and socks.
The conundrum, of course, is who’s going to buy these. Self respecting hipsters simply won’t spend the coin or risk mockery. Sure, you can pretend you don’t care by wearing things too tight or not-combing your hair just so, but even if these bikes are awesome, I doubt we’ll see too many of them unless there’s a track sponsorship attached.
rock-racing-bicycle-belt-fixie1.jpg

The road bikes, however, might be a different story. They look sweet, and even if these components aren’t their own, the graphics and detail (rough surface on the handlebars, for example) are both smart and good looking. Sure, some folks from the group ride will laugh, but in the end, it’ll come down to the ride quality and RR’s ability to get them in front of consumers…if they’re well reviewed and readily available, I think you’ll end up seeing them around.

Ball: "I have been riding the prototype bike for over a year and now we have the production bike, which I am riding. Man oh man, really super cool. I am really proud of the production team, the design team, and now the sales team. It's such a great group of people to work with. They are very passionate and focused. We know we have something very special and different to offer."

At present, BikeBiz reports that the bikes will primarily be sold direct, though they are looking at a few select shops. Given the economy, they’re going to have to offer some pretty good terms to stock what are undoubtedly going to be high ticket items, though Ball has said they’ll be priced “in line with today’s world. The pricing is in the sweet spot.” (Quote from a rather interesting interview in Velonation)

© DoesAnybodyOutThereEvenCare

A

Anonymous

So is this where all the $$$ went instead of paying the riders on his team?

Stick to jeans Ball...

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Daotec, thanks for the nice words!! Both our fixie, as well as our Road bike are simply great bikes to ride! i know i might be a little bias, but i put my heart and soul into these designs!! Road and RBA Mag will be doing a ride review soon, as a FYI.

i'm working on a TT bike, carbon fixie and others coming down the pipe as well. i know our Team has had a lot of controversy, and i can't speak for the Team, but as far as the brand is concerned, we are working very hard to be taken seriously as a brand. We will never have as big of a line as the big three, Giant, specialized and trek. But hopefully always well received product.

I have been doing a lot of FEA analysis, layup optimizing, static and fatigue tests, so that the end consumer has a solid investment!

our wavelet transformation results have also really helped us optimize our layup!!

too also further let you know, we are going dealer direct! so, if you contact your local bike shop and ask them to contact us, we will get them setup and then your set!! we aren't doing internet sales to the public at this time. that may change though to allow shops more time to get thru this economy, but we will see!

our complete bikes will be 100% assembled here in LA. We have hired some great staff that has been in the assembly and QC at some of the top brands in the industry! We want our product to be a premium product which is why we wanted to do 100% assembly in the states! Not to say of course that other brands aren't premium, we just wanted to minimize issues at the start and give americans jobs.

ok, thanks again for the thread, i really appreciate it! i'm super stoked on seeing what the Magazines like Road and Road Bike Action have to say about our bikes, i really respect them alot! and, maybe this isn't the best thing to do, but i am waiting like everyone else to see the reviews in print rather then get advanced notice! so i will cross my figures that the Mag. testers are as pleased as our riders and other independant tests.

all the best, shane

feel free to contact me via email if anyone wants to know more about our products, i always try to answer everyone, even if it might be brief! shane@rockracing.com

A

Anonymous

Infomercial alert

Looks like this thread is a self-serving infomercial for "Rock Racing" branded products.....
And where are those "way cooler" wheels that his Royal Ballness promised to make a couple of years ago when he couldn't get a wheel sponsor?

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
What a load. The frames are never for sale. How much are they. when will they be available? Yes the bikes look great and I'd love one but when and where. I'm getting older and rock racing is going nowhere. A lot of history of big ideas going nowhere and these guys are joining that group.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
Looks like this thread is a self-serving infomercial for "Rock Racing" branded products.....
And where are those "way cooler" wheels that his Royal Ballness promised to make a couple of years ago when he couldn't get a wheel sponsor?

I actually came back here to see if i can answer any questions, all i can say is this thread was started by the editor of bike rumor.

for legitimate questions, i included my email on my original posted reply, feel free to contact me personally if you want any answers to any real thought-out questions concerning our brand. thanks! shane

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
merckx72 said:
What a load. The frames are never for sale. How much are they. when will they be available? Yes the bikes look great and I'd love one but when and where. I'm getting older and rock racing is going nowhere. A lot of history of big ideas going nowhere and these guys are joining that group.

so....yes, our framesets are for sale, yes we have sizes left in stock [54,56,58] at the moment, and another run do this week [they are in customs as we speak] in sizes; 50, 52,54,56,58 and size 60.

our framesets are $2700usd
complete builds are waiting on our custom FSA painted product, they will be available later towards middle of may. all complete builds are assembled here in california. We are dealer direct, so if you want one and want to know more information, please have your LBS contact us directly. we can get them pricing, catalogs, etc.. we are not dealing directly with the public on sales. feel free to have your LBS contact us or even contact me and i would be happy to put them directly in touch with our sales force.

FYI:
this is a general forum where people talk about product. i want to talk about product. if i am designing bad product, i want to hear about it as it makes me figure out why you don't like it and helps me decide how i can re-design the product to not only meet current expectations, but how to find a way of giving you what you want as well. if that means making another size, or offering the same product in a different way, then thats what i have to do.

lets get back on track can we and talk about product? i'd love to, because if these are how these forums on cyclingnews go, then i would rather go back to simply not reading them anymore and disgarding these forums as a way for a few people whom hide behind fictious names attack each other.---sorry for my rant, but these are getting ridiculous.

so, until you loose me, ask me good questions. like hey, i saw the product, beautiful, when are they available? or man, i like the bike, but get rid of the paint job, give me a simple carbon bike with a nice graphic and i will buy one? or even, this product is simply ugly, go back and design something new! yes, all companies are here to make money, but as a design engineer, i want to design products that meet the demands of the consumer. let me know what you want, you never know, you just might get it!!

all the best, shane

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
here is the same question, as asked above.

what is the WARRANTY ?

customers would like to know. It is not a dealer/shop secret is it ?

nothing about asking simple questions regarding your for sale items is ridiculous.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
tubularglue said:
what is the warranty on the frames.

your website does not mention this information, as though it is not important.

curious.

?

Hi, great question. our warranty is only for the original purchaser, it is a lifetime warranty on manufactures defect. if the frame is damaged via accident, then we are offering a great buyback program where we give you a discount off wholesale towards the purchase of a new frame. the discount is thru the shop you purchased from, or we can deal directly with a shop of your choice. since we are LBS direct, it's about the relatioonship. We want to encourge your relationshiop with your LBS as we are trying to do the same thing on our end. i hope that answers your question, feel free to contact me if you want more details.

all the best, shane

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
tubularglue said:
Please list current USA dealers/shops with in-stock framesets or complete bicycles. Northeast preferred

Currently we are looking for qualified dealers worldwide. the northeast is a pretty big place.
my advice, contact your LBS, have them get set up with us. most shops are waiting until ride reviews come out before the jump on board, which i fully understand.
Road Mag has one coming up in the june issue and RBA hopefully soon as well.

if you know your size, i'm sure your LBS would be happy to work with us both in providing you what you want.

No one has complete bicycles yet, soon though. May 15th will be a ship date on those for preorders only. we have another 250 framesets coming this week so availablity soon won't be too much of an issue. they are going fast though. so, if you really want one, you can order via your LBS. We are only making 1000 for 2010 in the current paint fascades, then we will be preparing for 2011 paint fascades. let me know if i can be of more assistance.

all the best, shane

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
funny concept.

have a traveling paid sales rep?

as an employee at a shop, i would not order any bikes/frames from a company without seeing the product, and i expect that from all the customers also. There isn't even a geometry chart on the website.

a build by order manufacturing model?

maybe your name will carry you.

good luck

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yes, he offered to contact him by email for these questions. I suggest you do it that way.

Thanks to the moderator, whoever you are!

i completely agree with you which was why i stated yesterday to just contact me. i almost gave up on this forum until i saw your response. People just can't control themselves, this is suppose to be about product and discussing it's design, functionality or even new ideas. People should be required to use thier real names as well, as it seems that the bad apples hide behind a ficticious one in order to make attacks!

as i have said, i didn't start this thread, but the editor of bike rumor did. it was passed along to me and i wanted to say thanks and offer more information for people who are really interested.

i will continue to look and see if there are more questions about our product and what we are doing as a brand. As our Chief Design Engineer, i want to try and give people answers concerning our products, especially as i am the one responsible for designing and ensuring they are what people really want. i was hopeing that this form might lead some insight to do exactly that.

so.....if there are any real questions, i am here to answer them.

...and FYI, i have nothing to do with the team and will not express or discuss any views, positive or negative on this forum concerning them.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
i note you say the complete bike is 100% assembled in the US, am i to assume then that the frame, like most majors, is manufactured in China? Are you able to post testing data and protocols? ie stiffness numbers, fatigue test performance etc Some real questions for a start.

To be honest with you, I'm seeing blah blah blah we have a cool paint job. The bike could ride amazingly well, I guess I'll have to wait to see the reviews.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
i note you say the complete bike is 100% assembled in the US, am i to assume then that the frame, like most majors, is manufactured in China? Are you able to post testing data and protocols? ie stiffness numbers, fatigue test performance etc Some real questions for a start.

To be honest with you, I'm seeing blah blah blah we have a cool paint job. The bike could ride amazingly well, I guess I'll have to wait to see the reviews.

Karlboss; for the life of me i don't get people on these forums! if all you are seeing is blah, blah, blah, then putting together a white paper for this forum would be a waste of my time.

so.. since you did ask a legit question, i will of course answer you. Yes, as i have stated in various articles in RBA and in Road mag, our frames are in fact manufactured for us in asia along side other great bikes designed by my peers, i.e. specialized, kuota, argon 18, QR, gary fisher, etc....

Assembly:
We are assembling here for two reasons, first we are a premier brand in the fashion world and want to continue that into the bike world. This is all apart of our decision to assemble in the usa, to not only give americans jobs [all our clothing is manufactured in LA] but to be able to ensure each frame is reviewed by competant QC personal before the bike gets shipped to your LBS.
secondly, with coming on the scene as a new manufacturer there are so many things to do and we didn't want to have 2010 bikes finally ready in nov & dec. Additionally with only two carbon frames and 1 fixie frame, we just do not have the numbers this first year to make assembly cost effective in asia. We also want to be able to cater to shops who want to not only have the option of purchaseing framesets and complete bikes, but if they want a module sent out [frame-fork-hs-sp-stem-hb-cranks] or decide they would like to mix and match colors for their liking then they can.

testing:
in regards to stiffness reports, etc., Am i able to provide testing data, absolutely. should i, sure if people would like. it's a lot of work compiling testing data for all sizes and doing a write-up. the most important thing is to have the time. since you have asked, i will try and make the time to do it for you.
i am wondering though if you would even know what the numbers mean in the real world, and i am not bashing you at all, please do not take offense, but you mentioned fatigue testing. if you know fatigue testing then you know that i could test and test well beyond the EN guidelines which are currently the best testing standards out. eventually our frames will break, but what does that prove? What would be good to say is that our frames are all fully tested by SGS according to the guidelines sent forth by the EN testing guidelines for road bicycles [EN14781] i would be more then happy to go into more detail if you need. As a FYI, the standards i set forth while at ASI [kestrel, fuji, breezer, oval and SE] internally were the same high standards we created at Kestrel 20 years ago. Alot of companies, including our manufacturer still test to those standards for other companies that are considered today to be the top copmanies in the business. so...what i am trying to say is that our frames have the homework and the test scores to warrent us being a premier brand from the start which i am very proud of, and hope you will to. but...ultimately the only thing that matters is what the consumer thinks when they buy and ride, and i want more then anything to have consumers that are proud of the workmanship that has gone into there purchased bike. i have personally put hours and hours of design, testing, re-testing, new layup designs, etc.. into our bikes to make sure that consumers will be happy.

even our fixie, which fixie's are classified as track bikes and are not required by law to be tested; are in fact tested and all pass. during our production run, i also pull random frames in each size to send out for testing to ensure that frames are adhereing to the same standards at all times. this protects us as a company, but also ensures that our product is constently under scrutny in order to be assured that the end consumer has the best product possible.

so, in closeing, i will start to put together the numbers, i will put out a white paper on this forum for you to review and ask again more questions, of which i would be happy to explain. please be advised that on top of everything else i am doing, that it will take a little time, but having it compiled over the next few weeks and doing a writeup, i believe is worth doing for you.

i do understand that you will still think, blah, blah blah, until you see the numbers and review the independant ride tests from some of the magazines. of which, i understand.

thanks, shane

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
shane_fedon said:
Karlboss; for the life of me i don't get people on these forums! if all you are seeing is blah, blah, blah, then putting together a white paper for this forum would be a waste of my time.

so.. since you did ask a legit question, i will of course answer you. Yes, as i have stated in various articles in RBA and in Road mag, our frames are in fact manufactured for us in asia along side other great bikes designed by my peers, i.e. specialized, kuota, argon 18, QR, gary fisher, etc....

Assembly:
We are assembling here for two reasons, first we are a premier brand in the fashion world and want to continue that into the bike world. This is all apart of our decision to assemble in the usa, to not only give americans jobs [all our clothing is manufactured in LA] but to be able to ensure each frame is reviewed by competant QC personal before the bike gets shipped to your LBS.
secondly, with coming on the scene as a new manufacturer there are so many things to do and we didn't want to have 2010 bikes finally ready in nov & dec. Additionally with only two carbon frames and 1 fixie frame, we just do not have the numbers this first year to make assembly cost effective in asia. We also want to be able to cater to shops who want to not only have the option of purchaseing framesets and complete bikes, but if they want a module sent out [frame-fork-hs-sp-stem-hb-cranks] or decide they would like to mix and match colors for their liking then they can.

testing:
in regards to stiffness reports, etc., Am i able to provide testing data, absolutely. should i, sure if people would like. it's a lot of work compiling testing data for all sizes and doing a write-up. the most important thing is to have the time. since you have asked, i will try and make the time to do it for you.
i am wondering though if you would even know what the numbers mean in the real world, and i am not bashing you at all, please do not take offense, but you mentioned fatigue testing. if you know fatigue testing then you know that i could test and test well beyond the EN guidelines which are currently the best testing standards out. eventually our frames will break, but what does that prove? What would be good to say is that our frames are all fully tested by SGS according to the guidelines sent forth by the EN testing guidelines for road bicycles [EN14781] i would be more then happy to go into more detail if you need. As a FYI, the standards i set forth while at ASI [kestrel, fuji, breezer, oval and SE] internally were the same high standards we created at Kestrel 20 years ago. Alot of companies, including our manufacturer still test to those standards for other companies that are considered today to be the top copmanies in the business. so...what i am trying to say is that our frames have the homework and the test scores to warrent us being a premier brand from the start which i am very proud of, and hope you will to. but...ultimately the only thing that matters is what the consumer thinks when they buy and ride, and i want more then anything to have consumers that are proud of the workmanship that has gone into there purchased bike. i have personally put hours and hours of design, testing, re-testing, new layup designs, etc.. into our bikes to make sure that consumers will be happy.

even our fixie, which fixie's are classified as track bikes and are not required by law to be tested; are in fact tested and all pass. during our production run, i also pull random frames in each size to send out for testing to ensure that frames are adhereing to the same standards at all times. this protects us as a company, but also ensures that our product is constently under scrutny in order to be assured that the end consumer has the best product possible.

so, in closeing, i will start to put together the numbers, i will put out a white paper on this forum for you to review and ask again more questions, of which i would be happy to explain. please be advised that on top of everything else i am doing, that it will take a little time, but having it compiled over the next few weeks and doing a writeup, i believe is worth doing for you.

i do understand that you will still think, blah, blah blah, until you see the numbers and review the independant ride tests from some of the magazines. of which, i understand.

thanks, shane

Great to see you are proud of your ideas and are willing to put them out there.
Why do I bother? Frustration I guess.

I'm reiterating the frustrations of many bike users and buyers who hear every year from every manufacturer this is our stiffest frame yet by 45% we used FEA and optimized our layup and our frame did great in our inhouse testing and we passed the legal standards and met previous fatigue standards...you haven't said anything. You can take this as a shot at you if you would like, but it is my shot at the industry. Very few if any back up claims with data and few who do the testing protocol is so obviously biased that it can't be trusted anyway. Aero data is the happy winner of that category right now. Then some put the data out there, like armstrong this year, and hope noone knows what they are looking at.
When you claim assembled without mentioning manufactured it comes across as you are trying to hide something. I suppose i could have waited for the reviews to be released, but then you asked if there were any questions now didn't you? Nothing at all against asian frames I don't have the misguided belief that american made is better .

Right your are, until I see numbers or see a review from a reviewer I trust...its all blah blah blah. ;)

Thank you in advance.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
Great to see you are proud of your ideas and are willing to put them out there.
Why do I bother? Frustration I guess.

I'm reiterating the frustrations of many bike users and buyers who hear every year from every manufacturer this is our stiffest frame yet by 45% we used FEA and optimized our layup and our frame did great in our inhouse testing and we passed the legal standards and met previous fatigue standards...you haven't said anything. You can take this as a shot at you if you would like, but it is my shot at the industry. Very few if any back up claims with data and few who do the testing protocol is so obviously biased that it can't be trusted anyway. Aero data is the happy winner of that category right now. Then some put the data out there, like armstrong this year, and hope noone knows what they are looking at.
When you claim assembled without mentioning manufactured it comes across as you are trying to hide something. I suppose i could have waited for the reviews to be released, but then you asked if there were any questions now didn't you? Nothing at all against asian frames I don't have the misguided belief that american made is better .

Right your are, until I see numbers or see a review from a reviewer I trust...its all blah blah blah. ;)

Thank you in advance.

no worries Karl.

when i put a white paper out there, i do want people to know what they are looking at, otherwise it's all just rubbish! :) it will be my pleasure though to do the white paper for you.

i see now that you are taking a hit at the industry, i apologize if i took it personally, i do understand now, thanks for the clearification, it's much appreciated.

As well, i did just talk about assembly in the usa, i wasn't hiding anything because i have said very clearly in interviews in magazines over the last 6 months that we are infact building in asia and whom with. i stressed it because it is one thing for sure that will help us to ensure the LBS can minimize surprises when opening a bike for further assembly. we all no the shipping sometimes has many surprises and we are trying to do our part to minimize the issues as much as possible.

thanks again for asking a great question, all the best, shane

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Armageddon

rock-racing-team-bike-component-sale-477x600.jpg

Garage Sale: Rock Racing Unloading Team Bikes, Components

Besides components, wheels and other bits and pieces, they’ll have their custom painted Derosa King 3 and Kron Formula bikes for sale at “prices you won’t believe.”

The sale is first come, first served on May 1st and 2nd, 2010, at their retail store at 250 W. Ivy in Inglewood, CA.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts