• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Bikes are getting uglier

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 11, 2009
729
0
0
Visit site
Also, I bought a matte carbon/aluminum lug Look KX back in 2002, but I have no problem admitting that this Look tt frame sets a new standard for unsightly kinks in tube shapes (and it pushes the envelope on obnoxiously large logos, as well, and on a non-American frame no less...)

Look_2009_596_full_view-500-90-500-70.jpg
 
Aug 4, 2009
1,056
1
0
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Also, I bought a matte carbon/aluminum lug Look KX back in 2002, but I have no problem admitting that this Look tt frame sets a new standard for unsightly kinks in tube shapes (and it pushes the envelope on obnoxiously large logos, as well, and on a non-American frame no less...)

Look_2009_596_full_view-500-90-500-70.jpg

Wow is that top tube suposed to be like that or did you just bend it to get the seat forward more.
 
Aug 11, 2009
729
0
0
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Wow is that top tube suposed to be like that or did you just bend it to get the seat forward more.

Haha.

Rest assured, that is not the Look I used to own, and I did not have anything to do with the shape of the tt frame at issue.

This isn't actually my old bike, but it is the same model and general set-up:

aar.sized.jpg


These days I ride one of these (also not actually my bike, just some internet photo of the same frame):

193013P1010482_Small_.JPG
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
rhubroma said:
Modern design, ....how can these so called manufacturing plants and so called corporate product development staffs have taken us all for morons?

.... maybe their only exposure to bike people is through forums like this? Or maybe they look back at the godawful stuff people used to think was cool.... like this
2815wk5.jpg

or this
dlgjk1.jpg


and think, "If they bought THAT Queen Victoria design, why not ...."
 
Mar 19, 2009
571
0
0
Visit site
Great looking bike died with the advent of molded frames, as far as I'm concerned. They all look like toy bikes from a cartoon.

While I love the look of a lugged steel or titanium frame, even the carbon fiber bikes of the 80's looked great compared to todays molded frames. I don't know who owns this , but this is a cool looking Telekom bike from days gone by ..... long, lean lines .

3668004934_9d4d2dd4ab_o.jpg
 
Apr 5, 2010
242
0
0
Visit site
lostintime said:
Great looking bike died with the advent of molded frames, as far as I'm concerned. They all look like toy bikes from a cartoon.

While I love the look of a lugged steel or titanium frame, even the carbon fiber bikes of the 80's looked great compared to todays molded frames. I don't know who owns this , but this is a cool looking Telekom bike from days gone by ..... long, lean lines .

+1 on that.

Look and Time make some nice looking carbon frames that seem to merge modern design with classic lines (although compact geometry is the norm). I'd guess that a custom builder could take care of whatever design concerns a person had, if that person had the money.

Are any manufacturers not making compact geometry frames?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
bc_hills said:
+1 on that.

Look and Time make some nice looking carbon frames that seem to merge modern design with classic lines (although compact geometry is the norm). I'd guess that a custom builder could take care of whatever design concerns a person had, if that person had the money.

Are any manufacturers not making compact geometry frames?

I see this sort of sentiment so often.

You would be surprised to learn that a great many very good custom builders will put you on a new bike for less than the retail price of a great many of the "molded" frames in the local bike shop.

Certainly for less than a Look or a Time.
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
2
0
Visit site
lostintime said:
Great looking bike died with the advent of molded frames, as far as I'm concerned. They all look like toy bikes from a cartoon.

While I love the look of a lugged steel or titanium frame, even the carbon fiber bikes of the 80's looked great compared to todays molded frames. I don't know who owns this , but this is a cool looking Telekom bike from days gone by ..... long, lean lines .

3668004934_9d4d2dd4ab_o.jpg

Man, it looks so fragile...

There certainly is marketing hype in some of the new designs, but certainly bikes are faster today than bikes of 20 years ago (more efficient, more aero, less friction etc). I'd be more concerned if engineers weren't trying to build better bikes. And yes, that Specialized bike is quite ugly.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
3
0
www.ridemagnetic.com
krebs, it's a massive cadence sensor. Look at the zip tie around the crank arm. Actually it looks like a wireless sensor that's usually on a front fork, so both sensors are clumped together.

Yeah, that's a wireless transmitter. I don't see any cables anywhere.
 
Mar 10, 2009
221
0
0
Visit site
lostintime said:
Great looking bike died with the advent of molded frames, as far as I'm concerned. They all look like toy bikes from a cartoon.

While I love the look of a lugged steel or titanium frame, even the carbon fiber bikes of the 80's looked great compared to todays molded frames. I don't know who owns this , but this is a cool looking Telekom bike from days gone by ..... long, lean lines .

3668004934_9d4d2dd4ab_o.jpg

Is this the Ugly Bike Thread or what. The Merckx bike is **** f@kng, puke ugly.
 
Another thing that is really starting to bug me are carbon rims that are covered with huge lettering and other graphics. These things usually make a bike look too visually "busy."

Crap like this.

Token_T85_Carbon_Wheels.jpg


Can't we get wheels in soild black with a small discrete logo?
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Another thing that is really starting to bug me are carbon rims that are covered with huge lettering and other graphics. These things usually make a bike look too visually "busy."

Crap like this.

Token_T85_Carbon_Wheels.jpg


Cannot we getr wheels in pure black with a small discrete logo?

My Zipps came with applique' decals and I heat-gunned them off before riding them. Now they come bonded into the top layer, dammit.
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,482
2
0
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
krebs, it's a massive cadence sensor. Look at the zip tie around the crank arm. Actually it looks like a wireless sensor that's usually on a front fork, so both sensors are clumped together.

Yeah, that's a wireless transmitter. I don't see any cables anywhere.

it looks bigger than some mini-pumps:D
 
Jul 4, 2009
340
0
0
Visit site
Oldman said:
Yes, but it shouldn't make you ill to look at it.

Now you know the real secret to the Specialized Doped bike. Everyone was happy to Cancellara go off the front so they didn't have to look at the god ugly bike