• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bikes in the Luxembourg Prologue

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at the pictures from today's Tour of Luxembourg prologue, and I noticed that none of the riders who were pictured were riding TT bikes. Some of them had aerobars clipped to their normal handlebars, but that was it.

Why did they do this? Was there a rule against using TT bikes?

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
Someone perhaps can help with some graphic of the route.

Erm i found this profile for the prologue on the official site of the race.
It looks to me to be flat enough to use a TT bike, with just one small climb at the end, and a teeny climb at that.

cache_1637452103.jpg

May 20, 2010
Visit site
020610ispa_0401_600.jpg

Given how dark, steep, and cobbly the very short route is, I'm not surprised. Of the three riders pictured, Jimmy Engoulvent, LA, and Frank Schleck, only LA even has clip-ons.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Since there was no climb, I would guess that it might have had a lot of turns (possible tight) that would not bode well for a TT bike.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It's an extra expense for the teams to ship all of the riders' TT bikes to a race in addition to the road gear. For a small race like this with one super-short TT it just isn't worth it. It happens at other races too, for example some of the less well funded teams ride the Tour of Qatar TTT with road bikes every year.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Ashtabula said:
020610ispa_0401_600.jpg

Given how dark, steep, and cobbly the very short route is, I'm not surprised. Of the three riders pictured, Jimmy Engoulvent, LA, and Frank Schleck, only LA even has clip-ons.

It also appears that LA is the only one wearing tinted shades for the evening prologue. I guess he didn't want people taking pictures of his eye injury. Frank Schleck and Jimmy Engoulvent don't even have the eye shield on their helmets, but LA's does, despite the pictures looking like he's riding in the dark.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Frank Schleck and Jimmy Engoulvent don't even have the eye shield on their helmets, but LA's does, despite the pictures looking like he's riding in the dark.

I'm pretty sure that's just a bad exposure with the flash on that picture making it look like it's dark.

Based on the other pictures, I'm pretty sure it was still light out when Armstrong rode.
000_par3275592_600.jpg

TRENDING THREADS