• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
"The Bio-Bottle, 100 percent biodegradable, is made of polyethylene with a small amount of a master batch additive which makes the polyethylene biodegradable. The material degrades within one to five years, and turns into a ground food source for microbes with no harmful residues."

I'm hoping that this "polyethylene" is from plant sources otherwise it is just tiny little plastic particles and I can't see how that is a good idea.

Anyone care to clarify this?

Thanks,

Paul Hunnicutt
Boulder Architect http://www.asoneproductions.net

asonearchitecture said:
"The Bio-Bottle, 100 percent biodegradable, is made of polyethylene with a small amount of a master batch additive which makes the polyethylene biodegradable. The material degrades within one to five years, and turns into a ground food source for microbes with no harmful residues."

I'm hoping that this "polyethylene" is from plant sources otherwise it is just tiny little plastic particles and I can't see how that is a good idea.

Anyone care to clarify this?

Thanks,

Paul Hunnicutt
Boulder Architect http://www.asoneproductions.net

The article states that the polyethylene is mixed with a batch additive that degrades it within one to five years.

Personally, I think it's a ploy by Lance to have Contador's water bottles spontaneously degrade in the last 10k of a climb. But that's just me.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Dose that mean that the bidons we pick up on the road side will leak if we use them.

Dosnt ad up it was free advertising for the sponsors when we collect the biddons.

Always wanted to anelise what was in them biddons so is that the reason.

A

Anonymous

brianf7 said:
Dose that mean that the bidons we pick up on the road side will leak if we use them.

Dosnt ad up it was free advertising for the sponsors when we collect the biddons.

Always wanted to anelise what was in them biddons so is that the reason.

think they are talking about the few that dont get picked up...

made out of polyethylene that degrades and becomes a food source according the the CN article..

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
If you have been flying in the woods of late....Goo bags and power gel and GCN energy bags and rappers are f--king everywhere. No peels from yur run of the mill banana . What a mess . water bottles...not so much. Plastic f king greocery bags are everywhere.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Good on Milram for doing something, but maybe where possible, hand the empty bottles back to the car, clean them, and re-use them (like guys in the break away). I'm pretty sure the Japanese Bridgestone team did something similar at the 2005 Tour of Britian (hand the empty bottles back.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Yup.
Good for them. Suprise that they lead the way, good on em.
Thought Garmin would have been on this with all the political correctness they supposedly support.

fatandfast said:
If you have been flying in the woods of late....Goo bags and power gel and GCN energy bags and rappers are f--king everywhere. No peels from yur run of the mill banana . What a mess . water bottles...not so much. Plastic f king greocery bags are everywhere.

Ayup. The thing that gets me are the cups from 7-11 or McDonald's and empty bottles of Gatorpuke. You know that some dumbass started down the trail with the cup/bottle in hand, knowing that he would chuck it as soon as it was empty. Luckily it is usually the fat/out of shape ones who never get more than a couple of miles beyond a trailhead.

The very worse is the dog crap on trails near the suburbs. By the end of winter it is everywhere.

People who litter on trails should be beaten with sticks.