• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bizarre sports results

Inspired by a group in this year's Europa League where two draws in the final round in Group F could have ensured that Lazio and Sturm Graz would advance to the next round both with a negative goal score while Feyenoord and FC Midtjylland would leave the competition both with a positive goal score, I wanted to open this thread.

Alas, it ended with wins for Midtjylland and Feyenoord who advanced in the end but the group still stood out with all four teams finishing on 8 points which is remarkable but not mind-boggling.

A good football example I can think of is the 1998 Allsvenskan which was won by AIK Stockholm who was the team who scored the fewest goals in that season of all of the 14 teams in the league. I would think that is an unprecedented achievement in the entire football history (and unrepeatable).

Do any of you have other nuggets where a team or player defies the statistics and emerges triumphant? Or the other way around?

1994 World Cup.
Mexico, Italy, Ireland and Norway all finished with 4 points and 0 goal difference.
Another interesting stat to do with this group....

In the Italy vs Mexico game Daniele Massaro scored his first international goal, 12 years and 2 months after making his international debut for Italy. There can't be too many strikers who had to wait that long to get their first goal for their country.