• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boatload of talent

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I was surprised that more women and Boat people did not face off over the WSJ article on Evelyn Stevens. The girl has been on a bike less than 2 years and puts out @325 watts at less than 125 pounds. She is a fanstastic talent and will win lots of races in her new found career. One can only wonder what 5 or 6 years of world clash racing will do to improve on the best female motor on a bike. I rode with a woman that has done spinning classes for 8 months and she has ridden on the road since Feb,(27 yo) she can bring it above 32 mph. There is something to be said for all that indoor training.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
I was surprised that more women and Boat people did not face off over the WSJ article on Evelyn Stevens. The girl has been on a bike less than 2 years and puts out @325 watts at less than 125 pounds. She is a fanstastic talent and will win lots of races in her new found career. One can only wonder what 5 or 6 years of world clash racing will do to improve on the best female motor on a bike. I rode with a woman that has done spinning classes for 8 months and she has ridden on the road since Feb,(27 yo) she can bring it above 32 mph. There is something to be said for all that indoor training.

325 watts for how long? Is it a true FTP test? That is around 5.75 watts/kg. Not bad at all!!! She sounds like a great prospect!!! How old is she? Any more details?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
325 watts for how long? Is it a true FTP test? That is around 5.75 watts/kg. Not bad at all!!! She sounds like a great prospect!!! How old is she? Any more details?

Thanks!

I read the article too. I think they said that she is a great talent, since she had only done one year of biking/racing/training. She surfaced after beating some favorites in a couple of races.

As I remember, they did some physiological tests and she put out 3W for 5m, and, in comparison, many of her untrained peers at that age, weight, would be at 220W for 5m. From that figure they, obviously, reasoned that she has great potential, and now she has to prove it since she is fully dedicated to cycling. Her trained coleagues now, are at 350W

As one person stated, I think a former pro cyclist, she needs to make the transition from good to world class.

Here is the article in WSJ

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
I completely disagree with your assessment cromagnon. Women's cycling (at the elite level) is just as athletically relevant, just as aggressive, just as relatively difficult, has sprint stars, one-day stars and stage race stars, and is even more accessible to fans than elite-level men's racing.

I'll grant you that the women's side of our sport suffers from lack of pure numbers (meaning that at any event less than the top handful of races, the field is made up of a mixture of riders from too many levels of experience or the field is simply very small) but when the top riders show up on the same start line, all the things that you love about the sport are present.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
by bring it up to 32mph what do you mean? hitting 32 is not difficult at all even when not in anywhere near good form though i suppose womens max speeds are lower in sprints because of lower levels of type 2 muscle fibers.