• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BoB's gone, here's why

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
All of what you said is true. You really did neglect to point out that Hincap had a Horse face! :rolleyes:

Naw, women don't necessarily mind a horse face. Look at My Little Pony Schleck and all his "fans."
Far more concerning that Jawge had a brain growing out of his leg.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Beech Mtn said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
All of what you said is true. You really did neglect to point out that Hincap had a Horse face! :rolleyes:

Naw, women don't necessarily mind a horse face. Look at My Little Pony Schleck and all his "fans."
ROFLMAO

nowhereman said:
Libertine Seguros said:
This is not a black and white issue the way you want to claim it to be. There is a middle ground between Victorian-style puritanism that you sarcastically bewail with your exaggerated censorship photo-cropping as if this is some kind of human rights issue, and the thread that's been removed. Nobody's saying you're wrong to enjoy those photos. Or even to post them, believe it or not. Just that, if the site wants to increase its focus on women's cycling and wants itself to be taken seriously in its attempts to promote women's cycling, then it's counter-productive to have the main focus on women on the board to be the BoB thread. They're not saying you can only crop photos to ensure we don't see women in figure-hugging lycra, or only riding side-saddle, or whatever you want to claim. They're not going to censor, say, race photos since the site is about bike racing. Saying the BoB thread is "celebrating" rather than "objectifying" the women doesn't wash, because let's face it, what pray tell is it about these women that you are celebrating?
Celebrating their Beauty. Their Grace, the tie in they bring to the activity/sport we all love. You can say whatever you want. As a man I love women, and everything they bring to the sport. From the racers, to the Beauties that simply pose next to a bike. Offended by these shots? I'd argue hyper sensitivity, jealousy, envy? All unfortunate emotional reactions. But hey, CN needs credibility, so ithe "owners"will argue that this is a necessary move, so that women won't feel objectified. Take it from me, and I was the one who kept this thread going til y'all pulled the plug. I'm happily married, my wife just laughs at my search for new photos(she's not thin skinned or insecure about this issue) but my sole effort has been to Celebrate the Beauty of the women we watch race and ride, and pose with bikes. And to celebrate some of the tenacious female beauties that ride with in our local clubs, whether it's a superficial beauty or an inner beauty. Their ferocious tenacity and resilience is their beauty. If this thread is closed for the stated flimsy reasons, so be it. It was a fun run. And no matter what, 4.5 million hits speaks louder than any political correctness. This town was big enough for all of us, you just chose to take the easy way out, and make it a whole lot smaller.

I have absolutely nothing to do with the management of the site nor the decision to remove the thread, no need for the second person. I didn't have any problem with the thread existing, but I really don't get the outrage at its non-existence either. Lots of threads have been closed or nuked over the years, some more offensive than others. It's not the "you are no longer allowed to find women attractive" chopping block that some people are claiming. You're still allowed to find women attractive. You're still allowed to post the photos in question, I'd wager, given some of the images posted on other threads at times. The site owners simply don't want a dedicated thread solely for it anymore, for whatever reason.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Beech Mtn said:
Glenn_Wilson said:

ROFLMAO
Women attract men based on their looks (ability to procreate), men attract women based on their power and wealth (ability to provide). We have made some progress beyond this but it is still there. In most countries of the world at this point in time intelligent women and men have found a way around it, but still it is biology plain and simple. I like to look at pretty women, I have no problem with women who like to lust after powerful men.

Looks are exemplary of ability to procreate? "Looks"? As one generic universal look? I think you've cleared the bar set by many on both sides (but mostly the defenders) in terms of cliched, naturalized and ahistorical absurdity. Cosumption of images as tantamount to fantasy and the propensity to aggression was moderately inspired as well.

Maybe the posters whose only skin in the game is oldish, white, and mostly married might want to consult with contemporary times? Rightly or wrongly, at least to confirm that there are more developed positions.

Never mind the blatant sexism that follows. In the contemporary world there are more (let's not say many) women of power who are interested in men of "good breeding genes" and other more unconventional qualities because those women can breed and earn on their own terms. And are often highly accomplished at mostly non-gendered levels. That doesn't make them immune to the exponentially increased monetisation, philosophical polemics, multiple economies and multiple impositions that might be said to constitute or override their own sexual subjectivity.

Re:

aphronesis said:
Looks are exemplary of ability to procreate? "Looks"? As one generic universal look? I think you've cleared the bar set by many on both sides (but mostly the defenders) in terms of cliched, naturalized and ahistorical absurdity. Cosumption of images as tantamount to fantasy and the propensity to aggression was moderately inspired as well.

Maybe the posters whose only skin in the game is oldish, white, and mostly married might want to consult with contemporary times? Rightly or wrongly, at least to confirm that there are more developed positions.
Bla bla bla. Looks=attraction. Quite useful for procreation, no? The rest of your absurdity I don't even feel the need to respond to.
What does "cosumption" even mean?

Hugh Januss said:
aphronesis said:

Bla bla bla. Looks=attraction. Quite useful for procreation, no? The rest of your absurdity I don't even feel the need to respond to.

Wasn't my term or post. All images in your world are commodities. Unless you've got some crayon drawings on the fridge. You look. You consume.

Useful but not definitive. The majority out there are homely. So can you work your point a little more? You're saying BoB was promoting human procreation?

aphronesis said:
Hugh Januss said:
aphronesis said:

Wasn't my term or post. All images in your world are commodities. Unless you've got some crayon drawings on the fridge. You look. You consume.

Useful but not definitive. The majority out there are homely. So can you work your point a little more? You're saying BoB was promoting human procreation?
2hz6b1u.jpg

I always defer to those who have a point but can't define it. And are handy with internet cards. Cute picture. So, explain "looks" again. Is it power, security, physical arrangement or some ratio of those and others? Or are you saying the unattractive don't procreate--especially without the help of media enhancement? Or if you're saying that "intelligent men and women" obviate these circumstances (whichever they are) well, it's not clear. Or I guess that maybe even generally unattractive people should define and orient themselves toward commercially defined standards of attractiveness? Aim for the best?

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

aphronesis said:
I always defer to those who have a point but can't define it. And are handy with internet cards. Cute picture. So, explain "looks" again. Is it power, security, physical arrangement or some ratio of those and others? Or are you saying the unattractive don't procreate--especially without the help of media enhancement? Or if you're saying that "intelligent men and women" obviate these circumstances (whichever they are) well, it's not clear. Or I guess that maybe even generally unattractive people should define and orient themselves toward commercially defined standards of attractiveness? Aim for the best?

Making a meal of this one are you? Just remember, in this life, there's an ass for every seat.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Scott SoCal said:
I'd also offer this; women who are adversely affected by pictures of pretty girls on bicycles are likely having problems with a wide range of modern cultural/self image issues and that they are a tiny fraction of females roaming the planet. My opinion of course.
sounds legit!

Scott SoCal said:
Just remember, in this life, there's an ass for every seat.
if that's what keeps you going...

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Scott SoCal said:
aphronesis said:

Making a meal of this one are you? Just remember, in this life, there's an ass for every seat.
I thought he was trying to point out that even ugly folks get it on. No?

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
Scott SoCal said:
aphronesis said:

Probably.

I'm considering starting a thread; Moustache of Interest

lady-mustache-2.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Scott SoCal said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Scott SoCal said:
aphronesis said:

Probably.

I'm considering starting a thread; Moustache of Interest

lady-mustache-2.jpg
You should.

There used to be a web site called fat chicks in party hats. I wish that was still around.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Scott SoCal said:
aphronesis said:

Pretty much.

@Scott, I'm not the one who can't argue my case cogently.

What, ah, do think these millenia old cosmetics were for. Are you saying gender and sexual rights were equivalent in Egyptian, Phoenecian and Roman times? Good stuff.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

aphronesis said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Scott SoCal said:
aphronesis said:

Pretty much.

What, ah, do think these millenia old cosmetics were for. Are you saying gender and sexual rights were equivalent in Egyptian, Phoenecian and Roman times? Good stuff.
I don't know about all that because it is well above my pay grade. I'm not afraid to admit I might not be the "deep thinker" here. AnyWho check this out. https://web.archive.org/web/20050828001343/http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com/

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
aphronesis said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Scott SoCal said:
aphronesis said:

Pretty much.

I don't know about all that because it is well above my pay grade. I'm not afraid to admit I might not be the "deep thinker" here. AnyWho check this out. https://web.archive.org/web/20050828001343/http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com/

I don't even want to know how you found this site :D