• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bold TdF 2021 Predictions

After a first half of 2021 filled with perennial tailwinds, speedy climbing times, Ineos podium sweeps and extremely fast Slovenians, it feels like we might be about to see some wild performances at the Tour.

Now, this might just be a continuation of the very high level we've seen since ~mid 2019, but I do get the feeling we're going to see something crazy, even without Mark Padun making selection.

So, let's see your bold takes on who will fly too close to the sun this July...

Reactions: Nick2413
I was just thinking this morning during my bike commute to my office...about the Tour de France. And how seemingly everyone has gone back to thinking it's a mostly clean peloton and everything is fine. So strange. It's clearly not fine.

Bold prediction: Pogacar won't be as strong as people imagine... or himself imagines.

Think back 2003 when Lance Armstrong met his match with guys who'd observed, learned & copied his methods. So we'll get an awesome Tour in terms of spectacle, although the behind the scenes stuff is probably totally out of control & about to explode (just look at Vinokourov getting kicked out of Astana 2 days before the Tour, i.e. that's number one "not normal" & it will be followed by many more).

Reactions: Nick2413
Bold prediction: Pogacar won't be as strong as people imagine... or himself imagines.

Think back 2003 when Lance Armstrong met his match with guys who'd observed, learned & copied his methods. So we'll get an awesome Tour in terms of spectacle, although the behind the scenes stuff is probably totally out of control & about to explode (just look at Vinokourov getting kicked out of Astana 2 days before the Tour, i.e. that's number one "not normal" & it will be followed by many more).

That's a really interesting parallel with 2003. There's a section in Hamilton's book where Lance is fuming in '03/'04 about how fast everyone else is going and Tyler talks about it finally feeling 'even' to him.

Reactions: Rackham
This is the year Lutsenko will go full Vino, he'll finish higher on the gc than Ala.

My prediction: we will see a doping scandal in this year's Tour. Outside of that, I think Bahrain will be the equivalent of the 2008 Saunier Duval tour team.

Nicely done!

I reckon if someone had predicted 4 stage wins + green for Cav or the Colbrelli ride on Tignes, that might've even been too bold for this thread.

Reactions: Rico044