• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bolt Contador Armstrong Phelps AIG anology

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What happens when Contador has won 4 Tours, 2 Giros, and 2 or 3 Vueltas. Is he then too big to be taken down. (not considering Merckx, and post retirement Armstrong).

When will Contador reach the threshold, where he has too much power and influence, that the sport cannot let him fail, if he gives a positive control, and avoids being tested.

Bolt is almost too big to be taken down now. Phelps similarly, he would have to be protected by both FINA and US Swimming. AIG, systemic risk, cannot be sanctioned, moral hazard.

When will Contador make that transcendence, to an untouchable, like Armstrong was (is?).

When he breaches such a hypothetical threshold, this will greatly disadvantage Andy Schleck, Kreuziger, Gesink.

Why should Landis, Vino, Kashechkin, hold the burden for the sport, and be the scapegoats. Why do Liggett and Sherwen feed into this narrative?

Who can break this reality?

Can Vaughters? Or is he a false Messiah?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Can Vaughters?

I'd say yes he can do something, sadly I feel he is neutered by the same mafia the person in his role perpetuates and becomes

Lance, Phelps and Bolt, what a Triathlon!

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
What happens when Contador has won 4 Tours, 2 Giros, and 2 or 3 Vueltas. Is he then too big to be taken down. (not considering Merckx, and post retirement Armstrong).

When will Contador reach the threshold, where he has too much power and influence, that the sport cannot let him fail, if he gives a positive control, and avoids being tested.

Bolt is almost too big to be taken down now. Phelps similarly, he would have to be protected by both FINA and US Swimming. AIG, systemic risk, cannot be sanctioned, moral hazard.

When will Contador make that transcendence, to an untouchable, like Armstrong was (is?).

When he breaches such a hypothetical threshold, this will greatly disadvantage Andy Schleck, Kreuziger, Gesink.

Why should Landis, Vino, Kashechkin, hold the burden for the sport, and be the scapegoats. Why do Liggett and Sherwen feed into this narrative?

LOl some of you guys live in a bizarre fantasy conspiracy world!

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

Do you even like cycling or just the controversy?

blackcat said:
What happens when Contador has won 4 Tours, 2 Giros, and 2 or 3 Vueltas. Is he then too big to be taken down.

You're reaching a little, but I think you bring up a good point. Let's look back at the 1997 World's. Anyone remember what happened? Laurent Brouchard popped positive at the controls. But Hein Verbruggen knew this would be bad for the sport, so he had the results held until it was beyond the announced time limit. Not to benefit Brouchard really, but to "benefit" the sport, and really the UCI. This was hush, hush for some time, until Willy Voet spilled the beans.

So, if Brouchard can get away with that....

Cycling is on real thin ice right now. It's hasn't quite reached the comedic proportions we are seeing now after the Athletics/Track worlds, but it's close. A huge Landis-like scandal to someone like Contador could be a short-term spike through the heart to cycling, and especially the UCI. In the longer term, such a story might help the sport, maybe. But can the UCI, and other governing bodies, afford that right now?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
You're reaching a little, but I think you bring up a good point. Let's look back at the 1997 World's. Anyone remember what happened? Laurent Brouchard popped positive at the controls. But Hein Verbruggen knew this would be bad for the sport, so he had the results held until it was beyond the announced time limit. Not to benefit Brouchard really, but to "benefit" the sport, and really the UCI. This was hush, hush for some time, until Willy Voet spilled the beans.

Cycling is on real thin ice right now. It's hasn't quite reached the comedic proportions we are seeing now after the Athletics/Track worlds, but it's close. A huge Landis-like scandal to someone like Contador could be a short-term spike through the heart to cycling, and especially the UCI. In the longer term, such a story might help the sport, maybe. But can the UCI, and other governing bodies, afford that right now?
disagree it is reaching. Some riders are protected, some scapegoated. If you come from central or eastern Europe, or god forgive, the caucuses, you are screwed as scapegoats, the bad apples.

And when you reach a status, your power then overtakes the promoters and the UCI. Your status as patron, does not trascend just the peloton, it transcends the sport. You dictate too much economic flows.

This is an externality. Short term, it helps the economy of the sport. But long term, it restricts the potential of the sport. Vested interests, it is a genuine spanner in the machine.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
At the risk of adding to the conspiracy theory further, I would say it’s possible AC has already reached this point. I say this only because Pat McQuaid seems to "know" somehow that Contador is clean.

Alpe d'Huez said:

After each scandal, we think this is it, this is when the sport cleans up. Festina, Puerto, Vino, Ricco and of course, Floyd. But slowly, ever so slowly, things creep back to exactly where we started. David Walsh is right. We all believe Contador is doping, and we all believe that many of the top GC guys are doping, yet the passport remains impotent for the most part. There are a few isolated cases of guys getting 'done' by it, but this is merely political. The UCI, as has been said many times, are not serious - not retesting Giro samples, Valverde, Puerto as a whole, guranteeing us that AC is clean. What kind of a statement was that to make? Kloden is riding, as is Frank Schleck. We have a guy like JV, who I admire in many ways, sending out mixed signals by talking about signing AC. As a fan, that is very disillusioning to see.

So Alpe, even if AC got done in the morning, I'm fairly confident it wouldn't stop the other GC riders, who are doping, from continuing to dope. The majority of people have very short memories and will quickly move on to the next star coming through. And anyway, there seems to be resignation from people that 'everyone dopes it's just entertainment' and ambivalence is evident. People are saying 'let them do what they want'.

I would love to believe in Vaughters and Garmin. But in the cold light of day, certain things just don't make sense. A 29 year old rider being transformed from a Grupetto rider in the mountains, into one of the best climbers in the world. One of the biggest indicators of PED usage is a leap in performance at a relatively late age. If i take my blinkers off, and view Wiggins and JV in the same way as everyone else, then this is a serious red flag.
In 2007, before Christophe Moreni and Cofidis were kicked out of the Tour, Bradley was struggling to finish the race. I am sorry JV, but what would you think?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
Blackcat doesn't have to answer that. The answer is too obvious.

He sometimes makes references to Israel and **** Cheney in his posts so I think he sees cycling in the same type of way - another conspiracy theory game where you have to take down the powers that be. Armstrong is like Cheney or Ariel Sharon or something. He's probably a 9/11 truther and Alex Jones fan.

He can believe whatever he wants about political matters, but when you take that mindset into cycling then you just come off as a loon.
relevance?

hyperbole to smear. Completely wrong, and incorrect.

You are a propagandist BPC.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
The relevance is you have made another one of these moonbat posts that brings the Clinic into ridicule. I was responding to user No Chain why i think this is.

I bet you it's not incorrect.
BPC you have already demonstrated profound ignorance on the peloton. You oughta shut up now, while you have merely made a fool out of yourself.

You are a harlequin. Go away, and do us all a favour.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
A 29 year old rider being transformed from a Grupetto rider in the mountains, into one of the best climbers in the world. One of the biggest indicators of PED usage is a leap in performance at a relatively late age.

Oh I don't know about that... FloJo made massive improvements at age 29 and she never tested positive!:rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:

He sometimes makes references to Israel and **** Cheney in his posts so I think he sees cycling in the same type of way - another conspiracy theory game where you have to take down the powers that be. Armstrong is like Cheney or Ariel Sharon or something. He's probably a 9/11 truther and Alex Jones fan.

He can believe whatever he wants about political matters, but when you take that mindset into cycling then you just come off as a loon.

you forgot to add that he is a child molester and even worse- a holocaust denier

BanProCycling said:

It would be nice if this forum had some kind of rule about posting personal attacks on another forum member while posting exactly zero relevant content about the thread.

BanProCycling said:
The relevance is you have made another one of these moonbat posts that brings the Clinic into ridicule. I was responding to user No Chain why i think this is.

I bet you it's not incorrect.

BPC, possibly the most clueless and ignorant Lance fan I've ever come across. And there were a few candidates on RBR. Your level of knowlede is poor, but your denial of anything you don't want to hear about Lance is profound. And you could feasibly be on a jury. God help us all.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
It would be nice if this forum had some kind of rule about posting personal attacks on another forum member while posting exactly zero relevant content about the thread.

Good point, but I find such posts speak volumes by themselves sufficient to show what the person is

vote remain- plus cmon, we can't be thread Nazis- I find such evolution of a thread can leave to other as relevant points

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
It would be nice if forums members were a bit more consistent on this. Blackcat and others have thrown more insults at me than I have at them. You don't see me whining though.
you engage in propaganda, and do not wish to educate yourself.

you could be reading the talking points of a working paper from Public Strategies.

TRENDING THREADS