• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bolt Thru Wheels for Road Training

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,

I've recently been fortunate enough to buy a Norco Threshold SL Ultegra (God bless cycle to work scheme). The bike comes with the following wheels:

Rims: Stan?s ZTR Iron Cross Rims ? Black
Front Hub: Alloy 15?100mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Rear Hub: Alloy 12?142mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Spokes: Sapim Laser Butted ? Black w/Alloy Nipple
Tyres: Clement Crusade PDX 700 ? 33c ? Folding

I'd like a spare set of wheels so I can use the bike at a winter training road bike. I'm struggling to find a set of bolt thru road wheels without getting them built. Any suggestions please?

Lardspice.

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Easton does some. The EA-90XD uses their 'future proof' hub which is convertible to front and rear thru axle.

Otherwise, why not just get a set of narrow 29er MTB wheels?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lardspice said:
Hello All,

I've recently been fortunate enough to buy a Norco Threshold SL Ultegra (God bless cycle to work scheme). The bike comes with the following wheels:

Rims: Stan?s ZTR Iron Cross Rims ? Black
Front Hub: Alloy 15?100mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Rear Hub: Alloy 12?142mm Thru-Axle Disc 28h ? Black
Spokes: Sapim Laser Butted ? Black w/Alloy Nipple
Tyres: Clement Crusade PDX 700 ? 33c ? Folding

I'd like a spare set of wheels so I can use the bike at a winter training road bike. I'm struggling to find a set of bolt thru road wheels without getting them built. Any suggestions please?

Lardspice.
The description of these wheels seems like a winter wheel already with 33c tires. disk brakes save the rims. Just change to a more flat resistant tire over the winter. Yes a spare set of wheels is sweet but I bet tires is the only real change you need for winter.

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Why not get some built? You'll get some H+ Son Archetype rims on Hope Pro Evo 2's for a very good price.

Or just use the wheels you have with some road tyres?

Can't put road tires on the rims.

Cheers

Lardspice

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Stans says the Iron Cross has a max pressure of 45psi. For a tubeless CX tire, this would seem reasonable. But with a tube, I don't see why that would be the limit.

Send Stans an email asking what tire pressure with a 28c tire would be acceptable - they're fairly responsive.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dougvdh said:
Stans says the Iron Cross has a max pressure of 45psi. For a tubeless CX tire, this would seem reasonable. But with a tube, I don't see why that would be the limit.

Send Stans an email asking what tire pressure with a 28c tire would be acceptable - they're fairly responsive.

I just received a pair of Fulcrum Red passion MTB wheels and they have a max pressure of 33 PSI. too low for road use. I have seen this on a number of MTB wheels lately. I wonder what happens if you inflate to road pressures? Will rims fail?

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Many of the tubeless-ready rims don't really have a fully hooked bead since they rely more on the tire bead's interface to the rim bed for keeping the tire in place rather than the mechanical engagement between the bead and the rim hook. So if you use a high pressure road tire, (especially one with a bead that has some stretch to it), the risk would be that the bead doesn't get enough engagement with the (reduced) rim hook. The rim won't likely fail, but the tire could blow off - same as on a standard rim, but at a potentially lower pressure.

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Master50 said:
The description of these wheels seems like a winter wheel already with 33c tires. disk brakes save the rims. Just change to a more flat resistant tire over the winter. Yes a spare set of wheels is sweet but I bet tires is the only real change you need for winter.

I think you're probably right... it will be cheaper at least.

Lardspice

Re:

Lardspice said:
Master50 said:

I think you're probably right... it will be cheaper at least.

Lardspice

Almost a year old but find a good local wheelbuilder who can get some XT/SLX hubs, some Velocity, H+Son rims and build you a set. Great hubs, not expensive.

TRENDING THREADS