• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boonen Races The TdF

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
So Boonen is cleared by the UCI to race this year's TdF. Apparently the UCI cannot act quickly enough to implement some kind of sanction (go figure!) before the TdF, but it is still in the wings at some stage. Prudhomme is ****ed off and may still prevent him from racing!

From BikeRadar:
The UCI said today that it would not be able to complete such a disciplinary process before the July 4-26 Tour, meaning that Boonen, "according to the regulations" was free to race in the Tour.

The Belgian star is currently racing the Dauphine Libere in France, a major warm-up for the Tour de France.

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme was shocked to hear the UCI's stance and said race officials will now meet to decide Boonen's fate for the race.

"We've just learned like everyone else that Boonen is free to race but we will need two or three days to decide whether he will be invited on the Tour," said Prudhomme.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
elapid said:
So Boonen is cleared by the UCI to race this year's TdF. Apparently the UCI cannot act quickly enough to implement some kind of sanction (go figure!) before the TdF, but it is still in the wings at some stage. Prudhomme is ****ed off and may still prevent him from racing!

From BikeRadar:
The UCI said today that it would not be able to complete such a disciplinary process before the July 4-26 Tour, meaning that Boonen, "according to the regulations" was free to race in the Tour.

The Belgian star is currently racing the Dauphine Libere in France, a major warm-up for the Tour de France.

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme was shocked to hear the UCI's stance and said race officials will now meet to decide Boonen's fate for the race.

"We've just learned like everyone else that Boonen is free to race but we will need two or three days to decide whether he will be invited on the Tour," said Prudhomme.

If they are hesitant to invite Boonen what are their thoughts on ValvPiti?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Boonen did not actually break the UCI rules at all. He was positive in an out-of-competition test for a substance which is only prohibited during competition. The morality of his actions is up for debate, but whether or not he is allowed to race UCI races really shouldn't be, since he hasn't broken any rules.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

Huh ?
____

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme welcomed Tom Boonen to this year's Tour de France at a meeting today in Paris despite the Belgian cyclist's positive test for cocaine in April. The winner of this year's Paris-Roubaix and six Tour de France stages had threatened legal action if forbidden to race.

Prudhomme made the announcement at a meeting with the International Cycling Union (UCI) and French anti-doping agency (AFLD). The parties met to discuss the Tour de France anti-doping controls.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
rolfrae said:
If they are hesitant to invite Boonen what are their thoughts on ValvPiti?

Alejandro Valverde will be unable to race the Tour de France this July unless there is a "radical" change in the anti-doping case against him in Italy, according to race director Christian Prudhomme.

"Our race covers 60 kilometres in Italy and his team proposed to us to race ten stages and then take out the rider, but this is an unacceptable solution for us," Prudhomme said.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
knorensnor said:
haha no, in Dutch I mean TAS, I don't know what's the name in English...

CAS? The Court of Arbitration in Sport?
Or just tell Lance you know what happened on the US Postal bus back when you were on the team and ask if he can out in a good word for you with Prudhomme?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Boonen did not actually break the UCI rules at all. He was positive in an out-of-competition test for a substance which is only prohibited during competition. The morality of his actions is up for debate, but whether or not he is allowed to race UCI races really shouldn't be, since he hasn't broken any rules.

He should be arrested for breaking the law and watch the TdF from a jail cell. I think we are missing the point here. Larger issue than just racing a bicycle. He is addicted to a drug that is illegal and damages and kills thousands(millions?) each year and is a scourge that needs to be stamped out. The drug war occuring at the Mexico border going on right now is a symptom of this disease.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
He should be arrested for breaking the law and watch the TdF from a jail cell. I think we are missing the point here. Larger issue than just racing a bicycle. He is addicted to a drug that is illegal and damages and kills thousands(millions?) each year and is a scourge that needs to be stamped out. The drug war occuring at the Mexico border going on right now is a symptom of this disease.

I don't think we are missing the point. He will face his day in court, but until then he should be allowed to race. Jailing Boonen will not help his addiction, but does he needs help and he is getting it by the sounds of reports from QS.

tom_boonen_panos.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:

I'm not sure that he's been diagnosed with an addiction. Testing positive 3 times in 18 months does not necessarily mean that he's addicted. Hell, I know people who would have failed more tests for this drug in that period of time but whom are not addicted. With regard to legality, sentencing guidelines vary wildly dependent on domestic drug abuse policy. These policies and sporting administration are not directly related and therefore should be considered independently of one another.

Whatever my personal opinions I can see no reason that Tommeke can be excluded from the Tour that would stand up in CAS.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:

The drug war in Mexico is a symptom of the ban on cocaine.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
I'm not sure that he's been diagnosed with an addiction. Testing positive 3 times in 18 months does not necessarily mean that he's addicted. Hell, I know people who would have failed more tests for this drug in that period of time but whom are not addicted. With regard to legality, sentencing guidelines vary wildly dependent on domestic drug abuse policy. These policies and sporting administration are not directly related and therefore should be considered independently of one another.

Whatever my personal opinions I can see no reason that Tommeke can be excluded from the Tour that would stand up in CAS.

The people you know probably didn't know that would be most likely be tested. If so wouldn't put their careers in jeopardy and have worldwide coverage.

He definitely has a problem but should be allowed to race, given who they will let race.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not Riding Enough said:
The people you know probably didn't know that would be most likely be tested. If so wouldn't put their careers in jeopardy and have worldwide coverage.

He definitely has a problem but should be allowed to race, given who they will let race.

True enough. He seems to have serious judgement issues...but I don't believe that these are 'addiction' symptoms.

Pietro said:

There is no evidence that banning drugs actually prevents people from using them. For instance, Holland has (partly) legalized Cannabis, but the drug use is about average compared to the rest of Europe. There is also a scientific paper claiming that legalisation doesn't affect use: http://www.ucsc.edu/currents/03-04/05-03/drug_study.html

However, going after drug peddlers does have an effect on the price of the drugs and makes sure that the trade is in the hands of the mafia. What would happen if all drugs were legalized? (in other words, no more war on drugs):
- Drugs would be sold by regular people, not the mafia. So it wouldn't fund crime (including the Taliban, who use the proceeds to kill allied troops).
- Drugs can be regulated. Most drug deaths are due to problems with the quality of the drugs. Also, a good effort can be made to make sure that the drugs aren't bought from the Taliban.
- Drug prices would come down a lot, making it possible for some functioning addicts to keep their house and job. So they would be good citizens, aside from the potentially self-destructive behaviour (depending on the drug used).
- There would be far fewer people in prison. The US has extremely high imprisonment rates compared to the rest of the civilised world, because of the War on Drugs. Other countries are smarter about this, but still imprison a lot of drug dealers. This is very costly.
- Tax income (like cigarettes and alcohol)

Do you know about the American Prohibition laws? They were never succesful in stopping people from using alcohol. They just criminalized large segments of the population, resulted in people drinking very dangerous alcohol brews and really made the mafia powerful. So they were repealed. Today, many people are abusing alcohol, sometimes with lethal results, but we try to handle by limited law enforcement and by educating people. That works better than prohibition.

The same can and should be done for most drugs. Hoping that you make people stop using drugs after a decades long, all-out prohibition campaign (called the War on Drugs) failed to do so is mindboggingly naive. Many people simply want to use drugs and they are going to do so, whether it is illegal or not. That is reality. It is best to reduce the negative consequences of that choice instead of pretending that you can have significant influence on that choice, a delusion that is disproven by all available evidence.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
"Our race covers 60 kilometres in Italy and his team proposed to us to race ten stages and then take out the rider, but this is an unacceptable solution for us," Prudhomme said.

The tour should do what the Giro did to avoid having Lance go through France during the Giro, re-route the stage to avoid Italy! It would be the best slap in the face to the Giro Organizers and CONI. When the Giro did it no one complained so why not do it at the Tour? Prudhomme's statement clearly states the 60k are the issue not what Valverde is accused of :rolleyes:

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Think about it carefully...Pat and Christian have probably stuffed Boonen a good one here. They make up some feeble excuse for not banning him for the 'disrepute' aspect of his behaviour which means he can ride the Tour. He'll probably get a string of 3rd and 4th places grizzle a bit about Cavendish and co beating him. THEN come November 1st bingo Pat slaps him with a nice 6 month ban which will see him sidelined out of Het Volk, KBK, Dwars Door, E3, M-SR ,RVV and Paris-Roubaix....I think I know which he's gonna be more p****d at not riding and his sponsor aint gonna be to impressed.

I'll put good money on no Tom at the 2010 classics!!

And Im a Boonen fan.....but you can see this a mile off, maybe Fat Pat has got a few brain cells.

whiteboytrash said:

This statement about Valverde says a lot. Instead of saying that Valverde is banned for blood doping, the ASO is saying that he cannot race because he intends to drop out halfway through. The ASO has done an about face on doping.

I do not see how the riders can miss the signs coming out of both the UCI and the ASO. We are back to full on doping.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
If that would happen, Lefevre would sue the hell out of the UCI. And I wonder if there are any legal grounds on which the UCI can sanction any rider for something vague as "damaging the image of cycling".

Jasper said:
If that would happen, Lefevre would sue the hell out of the UCI. And I wonder if there are any legal grounds on which the UCI can sanction any rider for something vague as "damaging the image of cycling".

That case would be an uphill battle for the UCI. They would have to first prove that cycling has an image worth protecting. :)

TRENDING THREADS