• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boonen

Andre.J said:
It looks like he's not even trying!
:(

Yes, effortless. In a good way. ;)

Well, I think the pure sprinter Boonen is finally dead. Look at the competition he has from the kids these days anyway: Matthews, Degenkolb, Farrar, Cavendish, Bos, Gripy etc...

Long live the hardman Boonen! He should have a lot to show us this year. :)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Good to see him smiling on his bike again.. don't care about the sprints he used to do, I'm more interested in the Classics where he can ride hard as.. Bring it on BoonanBoy..

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Andre.J said:
It looks like he's not even trying!
:(

he already said 2 years ago he would not be sprinting as much anymore. his sprint has become considerbaly weaker like with many of his type of riders. hushivd, museeuw

ya boonen is no longer a sprinter. he still has some kick but only from smaller groups, which is perfect for him as a classics rider. there will never be a bunch sprint in P-R or on the RVV. and even in M-SR he is still able to be up there cus the sprinters can't handle the distance and the last 2 climbs like he does so they reach the last k more tired.

i think this year he will fully dominate. he looks happy and fit and injure free. besides last year prolly was a wake up call for him. as in "seems like there are guys who can beat me in P-R and RVV even when i am not at 100%" kind of wake up call

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I concur with everyone else, Boonen is looking pretty good, if it wasnt for the flat tire in qatar I am sure he would have gone for the win overall there(He was working for chichi in the last stage and then fell off the back to avoid it).. I thought he would have tried a sprint in oman though, seems that he hasnt, I think the sprints have been a bit chaotic though so I guess there is no point risking crashing.

I hope he can win milan san remo this year, he was 2nd last year wasn't he? and he isnt finished as a sprinter yet

TRENDING THREADS