• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Booting a michelin pro race 3 w/ tread cut?

Hi Guys.

I flatted last weekend. Rear puncture (Thankfully almost at my doorstep).

The tire has a relatively small cut near dead-center of the tread. It looks like any other typical cut/gouge that you'd get in a road tire - ie, it's not very big. But the cut penetrates through the entire casing and allowed for a nick in the tube and a very slow leak. But the actual perforation through the casing is a lot smaller than the visible exterior cut.

My question - what can I boot the inside of the tire with to reuse it? Or can I somehow super-glue the cut so that it doesn't result in another puncture?

I already swapped out the tires and put on a set of fresh "flash yellow" colored prorace3's, but like everyone else, I have extra wheels and hate throwing away tires with significant tread remaining.

So - can minor cuts not in the sidewalls be booted/glued?

Thanks,

Joe

joe_papp said:
Hi Guys.

I flatted last weekend. Rear puncture (Thankfully almost at my doorstep).

The tire has a relatively small cut near dead-center of the tread. It looks like any other typical cut/gouge that you'd get in a road tire - ie, it's not very big. But the cut penetrates through the entire casing and allowed for a nick in the tube and a very slow leak. But the actual perforation through the casing is a lot smaller than the visible exterior cut.

My question - what can I boot the inside of the tire with to reuse it? Or can I somehow super-glue the cut so that it doesn't result in another puncture?

I already swapped out the tires and put on a set of fresh "flash yellow" colored prorace3's, but like everyone else, I have extra wheels and hate throwing away tires with significant tread remaining.

So - can minor cuts not in the sidewalls be booted/glued?

Thanks,

Joe

Hey Joe,As someone who has owned and managed bicycles stores for over 15 years this scenario is very common.What i would do is get some rubber cement and apply to the cut on the tyre(on the outside),then get a repair patch and glue it to the inside of your tire.This will protect your inner tube and give your new tyres at bit more life.Hope it all goes well Joe.

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I used to take the tyre off, clean and carefully superglue the tread together to close a glass cut.
I never tried to repair a cut or damaged casing on a race tyre because it seemed to me that the remote risk of the casing tearing open, or the tube escaping into the cut and causing a crash didn't quite balance the cost of a new tyre. I'm not sure how real that risk was, but the casing on a race tyre is under a lot of pressure, and I always really hated crashing.
Cheers,

Toobab

Joe jinxed me. I cut my front tire today. I used a large patch as a boot but fcuked it up by putting too much air in the tube. It blew after 1.5 miles. I then used two dollar bills folded over twice, so there were eight layers. By putting about half normal pressure in the tube, I was able to limp 25 miles home. Going around corners was like riding on teflon.

The funny thing is I was able to patch the first blow out. The second blow out occurred in the center of the patch. I was able to put another patch over the other patch. I figured more rubber cannot hurt..

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Best tire boots are two pieces of duct tape stuck together and cut to fit. You can use full pressure for either road or MTB. Fixing slices I use clear silicone, have tried all the rubber compound adhesives and silicone works the best.

BroDeal said:
Joe jinxed me. I cut my front tire today. I used a large patch as a boot but fcuked it up by putting too much air in the tube. It blew after 1.5 miles. I then used two dollar bills folded over twice, so there were eight layers. By putting about half normal pressure in the tube, I was able to limp 25 miles home. Going around corners was like riding on teflon.

The funny thing is I was able to patch the first blow out. The second blow out occurred in the center of the patch. I was able to put another patch over the other patch. I figured more rubber cannot hurt..

BroDeal, really sorry to have channeled such bad luck your way. I hope it wasn't a nice tire!

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Best tire boots are two pieces of duct tape stuck together and cut to fit. You can use full pressure for either road or MTB. Fixing slices I use clear silicone, have tried all the rubber compound adhesives and silicone works the best.

The duct tape boot...interesting. I know Jobst Brandt recommended that (see here: http://yarchive.net/bike/tire_boots.html) but wonder which way you're supposed to orientate the fibers in the tape, and do you cross the two pieces or run them in the same direction (are the fibers linear only or grid or blah blah I don't know what I'm saying.

Regarding slice fixing - what's involved in "using" clear silicone and how do you dispense it? More please... Silicone is applied externally (i guess?)?

I'm a mechanical idiot and am much better with words and vague ideas than concrete stuff like the process of fixing things. :eek:

The one good thing to come out of this is a pair of new matching tires, right?

dCZhD

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
joe_papp said:
The duct tape boot...interesting. I know Jobst Brandt recommended that (see here: http://yarchive.net/bike/tire_boots.html) but wonder which way you're supposed to orientate the fibers in the tape, and do you cross the two pieces or run them in the same direction (are the fibers linear only or grid or blah blah I don't know what I'm saying.

Regarding slice fixing - what's involved in "using" clear silicone and how do you dispense it? More please... Silicone is applied externally (i guess?)?

I'm a mechanical idiot and am much better with words and vague ideas than concrete stuff like the process of fixing things. :eek:

The one good thing to come out of this is a pair of new matching tires, right?

Joe, you're over thinking the duct tape thing. I suppose you could orient the two pieces of tape so the threads cross each other, but it's not an exact science, it just works better than all those boots that are marketed as such. As far as the silicone goes, I use a small 3oz tube of Permatex with a micro applicator. Fill all holes and slices with it, let cure for 24 hours and then ready to rock and roll. Rock on! Crazy looking stays, is that your Fuji?

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Joe, you're over thinking the duct tape thing. I suppose you could orient the two pieces of tape so the threads cross each other, but it's not an exact science, it just works better than all those boots that are marketed as such. As far as the silicone goes, I use a small 3oz tube of Permatex with a micro applicator. Fill all holes and slices with it, let cure for 24 hours and then ready to rock and roll. Rock on! Crazy looking stays, is that your Fuji?

I should have shrunk that picture down - sorry. It's my Pinarello Prince, which is new to me this year.

Thanks for the additional details on the technique. I'll let everyone know how it works out. For now I've got the new set of yellow michelin's mounted on my primary wheelset.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I usually carry some self adhesive tube patches with me to stick inside the tyre if the cut is not too big. With such a soft tyre you may feel a bump with the glue on traditional patches every time the wheel turns.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts