• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bordry's Statement About this year's Tour

A

Anonymous

BigBoat said:
Aicar! And slin found in trash bins...What else? Cool :cool:

I'm looking high and low for Aicar. It seems the more beer I drink, the more weight I gain no matter how many hours per week I ride. A drug that makes muscles more efficient by metabolizing fat? Yes, this is for me.

A

Anonymous

Scott SoCal said:
I'm looking high and low for Aicar. It seems the more beer I drink, the more weight I gain no matter how many hours per week I ride. A drug that makes muscles more efficient by metabolizing fat? Yes, this is for me.

Gotta say, I will start doping if this becomes widely available...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

We may be finding out how Time Trialists have begun to climb so well.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
And now the UCI wants to find another partner to do its anti-doping work in France. . . . Bordry's just a bit too keen, looking in trash cans and looking for drugs not yet on the market . . . disgraceful. . . whatever next.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
riobonito92 said:
And now the UCI wants to find another partner to do its anti-doping work in France. . . . Bordry's just a bit too keen, looking in trash cans and looking for drugs not yet on the market . . . disgraceful. . . whatever next.
Anne Gripper gets undermined, caught in the middle and exposed for working at the whim of McQuaid and Verbruggen again. Remember last year when she was moved to tears because Verbruggen sued Dick Pound, causing WADA to pull it's support for the biopassport. Verbruggen is still behind all this stuff going on now.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
this all must have something to do with the lady selling the newspapers :D

Changes for the Tour de France? French press reports today that Patrice Clerc has been removed from his post as director of the ASO, which, as we all know, organizes the Tour de France. Jean-Etienne Amaury will replace Clerc.

The news comes after speculation abounded in recent weeks over changes at the ASO, with some observers suggesting that Marie-Odile Amaury, who heads Éditions Amaury, was unhappy with the direction the ASO was heading, especially in relations with the UCI, with whom the ASO has fought a protracted war over cycling's future. Some observers worry that the replacement of Clerc may spell an end to the hard-line the ASO has taken against doping in the Tour de France. The ASO also organizes other events, including the Dakar Rally. In addition to the ASO, Éditions Amaury, which ranks as one of the largest companies in France, owns the sports daily, L'Équipe.

That the new head of the ASO intends to make nice with the UCI appeared confirmed by his public statement today. Said Amaury, "I take on these responsibilities to show to all the importance that the Groupe Amaury gives to its relations with the world of sport, and in particular with the cycling family, with whom, after a grave conflict, hopes for a harmonious peace are emerging." Yann Le Moenner, currently in charge of the department of marketing, media, and law at the ASO, will serve as assistant to Amaury.

shyt hitting fan:

"In any society, public or private, those responsible would have no choice but to resign," Clerc said. "The UCI, by the way its acted, at minimum has lacked clarity, transparency, professionalism, competence and in every case has shown a complete lack of conscience.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2007-07-28-3600959877_x.htm

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Aicar would help you become more climb oriented. It would be performance enhancing and that would help you in the mountains of cause, but you'd be a better rider of the same type, not a different type.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Ah, and here's the old thread where we discussed the newfound love between ASO and UCI and the fate of Patrice.

Cerberus, it is suspected that some weight loss might be a side effect of AICAR. It possibly changes a rider enough to make powerful TT'ers climb well, too.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Anne Gripper gets undermined, caught in the middle and exposed for working at the whim of McQuaid and Verbruggen again. Remember last year when she was moved to tears because Verbruggen sued Dick Pound, causing WADA to pull it's support for the biopassport. Verbruggen is still behind all this stuff going on now.

I think you're right about this Epicycle. I reckon Anne Gripper (and there'd have to be a few others at the UCI whose hearts are in the right place) must be tearing their hair out over the whole he said / she said dramas between UCI and ASO, and must be wishing that AFLD and UCI could just work together but without interference from above (i.e. McQuaid's influence). Don't ask me why, maybe I am just Australian biased here, but Gripper seems genuine about wanting to catch dopers to me. Unless it has been discussed earlier, I'd be happy to hear from others who think otherwise (and why).

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Wouldn't it be nice ...

If the 2010 TdF was tested by the AFLD like in 2008?

I am hoping.
:)
Which is what the AFLD wants too and why it is trumpeting its 'we did it better last year' line at the moment. I love it when two bureaucracies have a turf war:

"My crusade is better than yours"
"No it isn't"
"Is"
"Isn't"
........etc

Oldman said:

I've been wondering the opposite. Why do they climb so bad? Weight alone rarely explains it. I believe it's mostly bike setup and mental.
If you just ride a mountain likema time trial, don't try the acceleration game, you'll reach the top quickest. Accelerations are only worth so much, and are best when used as finale rather than a start, IMNSHO.

Looking forward to tests becoming available, and too-light riders being retro-tested for it. Even if it would make hero's be unmasked as cheaters.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Cloxxki said:
I've been wondering the opposite. Why do they climb so bad? Weight alone rarely explains it. I believe it's mostly bike setup and mental.
If you just ride a mountain likema time trial, don't try the acceleration game, you'll reach the top quickest. Accelerations are only worth so much, and are best when used as finale rather than a start, IMNSHO.

Well, IMELHO, weight DOES explain quite a bit of it. Power-weight ratio. Bike setup seems like it couldn't be it - they'd change if need be.

Wouldn't shock me if a Contador or Sastre has a significant VO2 max advantage over say a Cancellara (again VO2 max takes into acct weight) also, which makes a difference on the hills.

To be honest, ever since the mid-1990's, the question of why time trialists started being able to climb has been a big one. But in the past 3 years or so, it's been sort of the opposite question - the climbers have started to be able to time trial better. Rasmussen, Contador, even Sastre to some extent. Why is that?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
I mean, I have not heard anyone debate that they did not do a better job than the UCI in '08.

UCI and AFLD are testing authorities that lack the competence to interpret screening blood results. They both rely on experts for that and I know that the same experts planned the tests for the TDF 08 and 09.

The difference in the number of positives is mainly due to the fact that CERA was believed to be undetectable in 08, not because AFLD did a better job than the UCI.

dopingectomy said:
UCI and AFLD are testing authorities that lack the competence to interpret screening bl:eek:ood results. They both rely on experts for that and I know that the same experts planned the tests for the TDF 08 and 09.

The difference in the number of positives is mainly due to the fact that CERA was believed to be undetectable in 08, not because AFLD did a better job than the UCI.

I disagree. Have you seen the video of Beltrain getting nabbed? Must see viewing. He was giving the inspector the "but the UCI used to give me 45 minutes to flush my system" look.

Ricco was targeted after some dodgy behaviour. The UCI ignore that stufff.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I disagree. Have you seen the video of Beltrain getting nabbed? Must see viewing. He was giving the inspector the "but the UCI used to give me 45 minutes to flush my system" look.

Ricco was targeted after some dodgy behaviour. The UCI ignore that stufff.

+1 You only have to take a look at the laundry list of sins AFLD is accusing UCI doping officials of doing at this year's TdF to have serious questions about whether UCI wants to actually catch dopers.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dopingectomy said:
UCI and AFLD are testing authorities that lack the competence to interpret screening blood results. They both rely on experts for that and I know that the same experts planned the tests for the TDF 08 and 09.

While overall your post is accurate the last part is not entirely correct as the UCI have been unwilling to retest the 2008 Giro samples -until the Italian anti narcotics Police got involved.

The AFLD however went back and retested for CERA again in September of last year and are now again retesting samples because of new information.

The AFLD went back and did the job, the UCI have not.

TRENDING THREADS