• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

bottles mounted on tri bars. Why don't the pros use them?

Is there any reason the pros don't use these bottles (common in triathlons) in the longer time trials? According to a triathlon magazine I was reading they save about 20 secs on 40k by splitting the air at the front but that doesn't take into account the extra 30 secs or so you'd save by not having to move out of position to take your drinking bottle out of the frame.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If you are asking why pro road racers do not use them in time trials, it is most likely because 1.)the courses are too short to need to drink more than maybe once during the TT and 2.)The UCI would probably consider the bottles fairings, and not allow them.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know the UCI ruling? i suspect it is the 3:1 or fairing rule which has made sure we don't see the P4 bottle, I know some riders use camelbaks, I also know bikes are faster with a bottle on the seattube, note the teams that spend time in the wind tunnel have them here if the frame design allows. Faster than the bar mounted option I couldn't say, but i'm sure that if it were legal and faster the pros would be using it.

TRENDING THREADS