• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bottom bracket identification and replacement

May 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Is it possible to somehow find out what size of bottom bracket and bearings do I have on my bike?

I went to a mechanic and he said that firstly he would need to remove the bottom bracket out of the frame to find out the size and then order it accordingly. But this would take probably a lot of time, especially in this corona time. Is there a way, how to find out what type of bearings and bottom bracket do I have? I would order it and he would change it without waiting a week with no bike to ride.

I have this bike https://www.evanscycles.com/focus-izalco-max-ultegra-di2-2017-road-bike-EV308636

Thanks a lot.

Looking at the photos it has an external threaded BB. There will be a part number on it but as it’s a Shimano crank it’s almost certain any External cup Shimano Road BB will fit fine. Did you take the bike with you to the mechanic? They should be able to look at it and tell you what you need in about 5 seconds and chances are they have one in stock. They do make some with smaller bearing cups, but they would still fit fine as the threads are the same.

Changing threaded BBs is really easy, so if you want it’s something you could do yourself.

Hi,

Is it possible to somehow find out what size of bottom bracket and bearings do I have on my bike?

I went to a mechanic and he said that firstly he would need to remove the bottom bracket out of the frame to find out the size and then order it accordingly. But this would take probably a lot of time, especially in this corona time. Is there a way, how to find out what type of bearings and bottom bracket do I have? I would order it and he would change it without waiting a week with no bike to ride.

I have this bike https://www.evanscycles.com/focus-izalco-max-ultegra-di2-2017-road-bike-EV308636

Thanks a lot.

I can't specify the model of bottom bracket, which is installed on your bike. What I do know for certain is, your bike has a Pressfit 30 Bottom Bracket Shell. This bike requires a Pressfit 30 Bottom Bracket, for Shimano 24 mm axle diameter cranksets.

May 24, 2020
Visit site
I can't specify the model of bottom bracket, which is installed on your bike. What I do know for certain is, your bike has a Pressfit 30 Bottom Bracket Shell. This bike requires a Pressfit 30 Bottom Bracket, for Shimano 24 mm axle diameter cranksets.
Thanks. And knowing that, it is possible to determine the type of bearings I need? I have checked bikeradar site and by BB30 is written 6806 bearings