• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Can anybody from Surrey way provide about tips about Box Hill? Tickets go on sale tomorrow for the hill on the Olympic road race. Price aside, I'm wondering whether it's worth it. I can't find any TV highlights of the test race they did last year on the internet but I saw a stillshot photo and it looked pretty crowded on the side of the road. Does anyone know how restricted the access is in terms of space? I'd like to see it on the hill but if I'm going to be about 5 or 6 people deep behind the barriers and barely see anything then I'd rather be elsewhere. How was it on the test event? I'd assume there's plenty of other points on the loop they do 9 times where you could also view and guarantee visibility. I'd normally go to the start, especially being in London, but I fear that even though no tickets are needed you won't be able to get anywhere near the riders as an ordinary fan as they ride to sign on etc, such is the way they do 'security' in this country. Certainly for the test event you weren't getting anywhere decent at the start without a wristband or some sort of accreditation.

You and I would have had an infintessimally better chance of actually getting tickets if you could have waited until after 11am tomorrow to post this thread.

The price is so low you could throw the ticket away without caring if you thought better of it afterwards.

Not sure what your issue was with the start either - they fenced off the ghost town by the line (disgraceful) but the riders were all milling round st james before and afterwards, very easy to get access.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Not sure what your issue was with the start either - they fenced off the ghost town by the line (disgraceful) but the riders were all milling round st james before and afterwards, very easy to get access.

Didn't go, but thanks for the enlightenment. Had read everywhere about needing free wristbands or some such to get in the start zone for the test event so in the end gave it a miss. The whole wristband idea seemed baffling, having walked right up to the riders at Liege, Flanders, Lombardy, the Tour and the Giro before. Hopefully we can have something similar to those races (if not quite as good) in London.

Cult Classics said:
Didn't go, but thanks for the enlightenment. Had read everywhere about needing free wristbands or some such to get in the start zone for the test event so in the end gave it a miss. The whole wristband idea seemed baffling, having walked right up to the riders at Liege, Flanders, Lombardy, the Tour and the Giro before. Hopefully we can have something similar to those races (if not quite as good) in London.

You needed a wristband to stand in the last 200m, so it was 5 deep from 400-200m, then there was literally noone for the next 150m, but they refused to let extra people in.

Not sure how an empty finish tested anything.

They also had a 15 Watt PA system which no one could hear, so it was iphone updates for 75 minutes then nearly getting decapitated by Cav (was on inside of final bend).

Seeing as they've confirmed big screens to watch the finale, I'd definately say £10 to be in the loop is a yes.

Cult Classics said:
Speak for yourself.... now, any answers to above questions?

Probably not what you are looking for info wise but the following was in the E-mail I received about the tickets going on sale if you haven't seen it:

Spectators at Box Hill will have the choice of two viewing areas (Donkey Green and Dormouse Drive). At Donkey Green you will be able to see the race from three zones, and there will also be a big screen and commentary so you can enjoy the rest of the action. At Dormouse Drive there will be two viewing zones, also with commentary.

Spectators to Hampton Court Palace will have the choice of two viewing areas – the West Front of the Palace and Hampton Court Road. The West Front of the Palace is situated at the start of the event and Hampton Court Road is at the finish line. Both areas offer big screens and commentary.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
Probably not what you are looking for info wise but the following was in the E-mail I received about the tickets going on sale if you haven't seen it:

Spectators at Box Hill will have the choice of two viewing areas (Donkey Green and Dormouse Drive). At Donkey Green you will be able to see the race from three zones, and there will also be a big screen and commentary so you can enjoy the rest of the action. At Dormouse Drive there will be two viewing zones, also with commentary.

Spectators to Hampton Court Palace will have the choice of two viewing areas – the West Front of the Palace and Hampton Court Road. The West Front of the Palace is situated at the start of the event and Hampton Court Road is at the finish line. Both areas offer big screens and commentary.

Useful to know, thanks

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Out on the rest of the course the hairpin at Coombe Bottom could be an entertaining place to watch, there is about 150m at -15% a 110degree right hander which is -20% + , then a descent which even I can get 80 kmh on. Pity it isnt later in the race...

Im not sure Id stand right on the hairpin - maybe climb a tree and get an aeriel view :D

Ive given up on the rest of it, it is all so wrong with the threat of being arrested for wearing t-shirts satirising the 2012 logo, official brand exclusion zones and so on. LOCOG are total bellends.

More usefully: there are worse places to sit and wait for a bike race to go by than Box Hill (if weather is good). Although the road isnt steep the hill it is cut into is, so if you sit high enough up you should get a decent view down and be able to take in all the open grassland. Watch a few laps like that, then get your Bodecia horns and Union Jack Mankini on and do some running alongside the peloton.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
If you want to watch some real suffering - and LOCOG free - then the Surrey Hills stage of the Tour of GB (I believe) ascends the hill I take my username from via the notorious Barhatch Lane. This is Surrey's answer to the Angliru :rolleyes:
There are some brilliant MTB trails which go down it, they are called things like 'Charles Bronson' which gives you some idea of its character.

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
Any profile of the hill? Can't find any?

2.5km at a very even gradient 4.9% (slightly higher at the start, shallower at end, but basically the same other than the middle bend which has a tight line you can take which is pretty steep. Then it's followed by 1.5km at about 2%. The whole climb is only 10-12minutes for a club rider solo, let alone a pro in a peloton. Tarmac is brand new and very smooth.

JibberJim said:
2.5km at a very even gradient 4.9% (slightly higher at the start, shallower at end, but basically the same other than the middle bend which has a tight line you can take which is pretty steep. Then it's followed by 1.5km at about 2%. The whole climb is only 10-12minutes for a club rider solo, let alone a pro in a peloton. Tarmac is brand new and very smooth.

basically a 4 minutes effort for a pro.barring any ullrich storming that hill at 50 km/h,i think cav has this.but you never know...

burning said:
Cav will be fatiqued by the end and there wont be 8 guys pulling everyone, teams are smaller and its a huge disadvantage for him

Thats why he is going to suck at Le Tour.

He is going to declare that the Giro totaly drained him (oh wait, hes already done that).

He is going to with great sorrow claim that he does not have the form for the olympics, that he doesn't expect to get anything out of it.

And then other sprinters teams will work;)

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
basically a 4 minutes effort for a pro.barring any ullrich storming that hill at 50 km/h,i think cav has this.but you never know...

It's a bit longer, the Strava 5 minute best segment is only part of the hill, you have a hill before it and it continues going up after, If GB is the only strong team interested in a sprint, then I don't think they can make it happen, if Australia and Germany do too, then I think it will be done quite easily, so interesting to see their team selections.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I think by the 8th or 9th lap things will be strung out.

One thing to bear in mind is that you do go up much quicker in a group than riding solo, at the speed they will be travelling at drafting effects will be significant.

TRENDING THREADS