• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boyer slams Vaughters

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boyer-unhappy-with-vaughters-presence-at-change-cycling-now

“The presence of Jonathan Vaughters angers me,” Boyer told Le Figaro.

Boyer seems genuinely annoyed.
He makes some interesting points.

“After succeeding me, Vaughters decided that it [[The code which stipulated that ProTour teams were not allowed to recruit a suspended rider for a further two years]] was unenforceable, so he didn’t apply it. So when he makes his fine speech that ‘cycling needs to change’… Well, he had the chance to do things and he didn’t do them. Seeing him there as if he were among those who want to change things doesn’t make a very good impression. They pushed me to resign because I wanted to do things…”

Boyer is also unhappy about the way in which Johan Bruyneel, who managed Lance Armstrong at US Postal and has been charged with doping by the US Anti-Doping Agency, was able to play such an important role in the sport even as the investigations into his activities continued.
Here, question marks should again be put behind Vaughters, who never raised a finger against Bruyneel, afaik.

I'm inclined to agree with Boyer here. What is Vaughters doing in the CCN movement?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Boyer talks about this

Boyer pointed out that he had already attended a conference similar to “Change Cycling Now” organised some years ago by Française des Jeux and the French Olympic Committee but that the message had remained unheeded. “We’ve had the ideas for a long time. They simply need to be put into effect, otherwise they’ll still just remain as words,” he said.

JV doesn't mention this in his PR that cycling is cleaner.

Well done Boyer for calling out JVs BS self serving agenda.

JV uses the 'clean' shield. Wonder what colour it is? Brown no doubt.

sniper said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boyer-unhappy-with-vaughters-presence-at-change-cycling-now

Boyer seems genuinely annoyed.
He makes some interesting points.

2. Here, question marks indirectly go to Vaughters, who never raised a finger against Bruyneel, afaik.

I'm inclined to agree with Boyer here. What is Vaughters doing in the CCN movement?

Just repeating earlier stuff:
Including a team owner at this point will divide the fan base and send mixed signals. Such a move will only make the group less powerful. It can still get traction, but it will likely be more difficult.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I like the fact that Paul Kimmage, David Walsh, and Michael Ashenden are going but shouldn't they only have people outside of cycling and not anyone directly involved or at least ProTour involved (in it or can gain financially from it). They really need to keep the Foxes out if this hen house to keep it free of any taint of doping, whether it be past dopers who have converted or actual dopers. Consult with them as consultants maybe, and not within any direct involvement into the actual organization.

Greg Lemond, well if he's out of making bikes for ProTour racing teams, then it might be ok for him to be there, otherwise just a consultant.

Boyer was calling out the UCI's points system back in 2009 too, before it became the be all and end all. Pointed out guys like Graeme Brown were getting more points for coming 5th in a few stages in Poland and the Eneco than David Moncoutié got for the GPM in the Dauphiné and the Vuelta, and warned that the UCI were paving the way for the death of the exciting, attacking cyclist, because anonymously accumulating placements was becoming more important than secondary jerseys and stage wins.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I like the fact that Paul Kimmage, David Walsh, and Michael Ashenden are going but shouldn't they only have people outside of cycling and not anyone directly involved or at least ProTour involved (in it or can gain financially from it). They really need to keep the Foxes out if this hen house to keep it free of any taint of doping, whether it be past dopers who have converted or actual dopers. Consult with them as consultants maybe, and not within any direct involvement into the actual organization.

Greg Lemond, well if he's out of making bikes for ProTour racing teams, then it might be ok for him to be there, otherwise just a consultant.

I thought that at first too, but now am coming round to seeing things differently.

Fuller is not stupid. He, Kimmage, Walsh et al know the possible success of this movement depends upon momentum & gaining a critical mass of support.

They have made the strategic decision to welcome even the apparently somewhat tainted (shape-shifters such as Bugno for instance) because fundamentally this is all about cultural change. People can change & Fuller & the gang are saying "come on board the change bus - you are welcome".

Great idea & more power to their elbows - they're going to need it with the calibre of incorrigible enemy they face.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Grandillusion said:
I thought that at first too, but now am coming round to seeing things differently.

Fuller is not stupid. He, Kimmage, Walsh et al know the possible success of this movement depends upon momentum & gaining a critical mass of support.

They have made the strategic decision to welcome even the apparently somewhat tainted (shape-shifters such as Bugno for instance) because fundamentally this is all about cultural change. People can change & Fuller & the gang are saying "come on board the change bus - you are welcome".

Great idea & more power to their elbows - they're going to need it with the calibre of incorrigible enemy they face.

+1. And if JV is useful to contribute to generating that momentum then lets have him.

Past personal vendettas, as much as they are likely totally valid (eg Boyer), have to be moved aside for the greater good now ie. common agenda to change cycling. Would be great to have Boyer contribute but only if he can buy into the common agenda and leave his past personal grievances at home. They distract from the work to be done, the opportunity to change for the better.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Boyer was calling out the UCI's points system back in 2009 too, before it became the be all and end all. Pointed out guys like Graeme Brown were getting more points for coming 5th in a few stages in Poland and the Eneco than David Moncoutié got for the GPM in the Dauphiné and the Vuelta, and warned that the UCI were paving the way for the death of the exciting, attacking cyclist, because anonymously accumulating placements was becoming more important than secondary jerseys and stage wins.

re: Graeme Brown, how wrong he was/is

Nic138146_600.jpg