• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bracelets?

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
A nerdy, dorky question: I noticed a lot of riders in the Giro wearing a bracelet, different colors, looked rubber like the Livestrong bracelet but it is not the Livestrong bracelet. Same case with the Tour. Petacchi is wearing one that can be seen clearly in his victory salute. Same with Ryder Hesjedal in the feature on the Slipstream team meeting in their bus. Anyone know what it is?

zoe1500 said:
A nerdy, dorky question: I noticed a lot of riders in the Giro wearing a bracelet, different colors, looked rubber like the Livestrong bracelet but it is not the Livestrong bracelet. Same case with the Tour. Petacchi is wearing one that can be seen clearly in his victory salute. Same with Ryder Hesjedal in the feature on the Slipstream team meeting in their bus. Anyone know what it is?

Because, like Bobke, they won't go anywhere without their Road ID:

the Wrist ID Elite

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh my, that is pretty absurd. Because holograms always make you have better balance! Oh well, it's just the same as knocking on wood, writ large. Thanks for the responses, y'all!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
well, its supposedly a bit weirder than that actually. From what I saw it is supposed to help your body to operate at the correct ideal electrical frequency - on the supposition that if you are even slightly off this value you will under-perform.

I believe there are a number of athletes that swear that they work but I think that this is just a mental reaction to the marketing. (and possibly a reaction to the money they are being paid to wear it)

Pretty much all the dutch football players were the same bracelet. Sneijder brought one for everyone. Their opinion is "If it helps then it helps, if it doesn't then it doesn't". I can't really believe in these bracelets, but let's say it helps 0.1% then why not use it :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just one of the many reasons I can think of is - if they haven't done sufficient testing to actually prove it works, why would anyone assume they have done enough to prove that it won't weaken the bone density in the wrist or cause allergies or cancer? (and that is NOT a reference to LA or anyone else)

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Someone did the test with me and I did wonder, then it occured to me it's obviously something biomechanical... I did the test with my "magic" phone and voila, same result.

It's amazing what people will believe.

Fester said:
Someone did the test with me and I did wonder, then it occured to me it's obviously something biomechanical... I did the test with my "magic" phone and voila, same result.

It's amazing what people will believe.

The trick with the tests are very easy. The first time he pushes down slightly angled outward which means you lose balance right away with very little force. The second time with the bracelet on he pushes slightly inward towards the centre of mass which means the force only makes you stand more stable.

The one where you hold out your arms and twist as much as you can and then with the bracelet you can twist some more, that's just a natural phenomenon. When you twist as much as you can and then relax in that position for a little while everyone will be able to twist a little further just a few seconds later regardless of bracelet.

The whole thing is just an elaborate scam.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Yes it IS a scam - no question - perhaps you guys missed the link in my post - here it is again

A belgian television show called 'Volt' tested it at the KULeuven University. The balance tests were remarkably better without the bracelet :p no link though :( sorry

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I say if the rider THINKS it works, then it does work. Its all a placebo effect, but there is still an effect.

Tommy D needs about 20 wristbands...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Rocksteady said:
I say if the rider THINKS it works, then it does work. Its all a placebo effect, but there is still an effect.

Actually there is also a REAL effect - If I am in a race and another rider in the break is wearing one of those things then I instantly know that I am a LOT smarter than him and will have the confidence to back myself out ride him tactically. :D

Martin318is said:
Actually there is also a REAL effect - If I am in a race and another rider in the break is wearing one of those things then I instantly know that I am a LOT smarter than him and will have the confidence to back myself out ride him tactically. :D
But your incessant laughter will throw off your breathing and he'll beat you.

TRENDING THREADS