• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brad's tribute to Lance

Again, another cyclist who will disappear by the first mountain stage in next year's Tour and no one will care what he's talking about.

And we can look forward to being inundated with proclamations on how he's aiming to center his whole season around the Tour from now until next July, except this year he's going to do it differently.

Because the dingleberries at Sky finally came to grips with what everyone except the most arrogant riders and director sportifs have known for years-you can't do the Giro AND the Tour and expect great results in both. You'll wind up like Wiggo last year-doing nothing in either race.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
surprised that he would be so stupid to even include anything about uniballer, but obviously wigans is not the sharpest pencil. so sky, a clean team? i think the storm clouds are getting are coming more into focus everyday.

it also for me harks back to JV not wanting wigans to leave, which still is a cloud over garmin for me.

I think Brad has been seduced by Lance. Wiggo wants to be him. You see its easy to train harder than anyone else when you take so many drugs and never have to worry about testing positive. I could ride up a mountain 7 times in a row if you gave me enough EPO and had paid the testers to stay away for a couple of days. Oh Brad please go back to who you used to be.... I liked the pint swilling, long haired, anti-doping lout you used to be. The man before Lance got to you.

Vaughters is laughing at you. Laughing all the way to the bank.

In the 1979 British film "Quadrophenia", Sting played a Mod that everyone looked up to, and it turned out he was nothing but a bellboy at a beachfront hotel.

dz8pbt.jpg

Sort of like Wiggins. He and his team think he's a Tour contender, but he'd be better off as a butler for a rider like Contador or Schleck.

This is not me going at Wiggo for no reason-this guy is aiming way too high for his limited talents in grand tours and I'm tired of listening to guys like this with limited skill sets and unbelievable pretensions talking all the way to the Tour prologue starting ramp only to fall well short of their bombastic proclamations.

We are the Mods, We are the Mods, We Are We Are We Are the Mods!!!

This has nothing to do with Lance vs LeMond. Its the irony that Wiggo hates and trashes dopers but chose to put a two page tribute to Lance in his book. It similar to boy Phinney name checking Vino as a doper.

thehog said:
This has nothing to do with Lance vs LeMond. Its the irony that Wiggo hates and trashes dopers but chose to put a two page tribute to Lance in his book. It similar to boy Phinney name checking Vino as a doper.

Isn't this Lance eulogy just an unfortunate case of namedropping? Altering the narrative to provide a toehold towards selling more copies? If so, could that reader manipulation be even worse?

The reason I err towards this view is because sometimes I do judge a book by its cover:

5042_Bradley-Wiggins-In-Pursuit-of-Glory.jpg

May 22, 2009
Visit site
of course, the one minor problem with this argument is that the idea that Armstrong ran a doping ring and was doped to the eyeballs is a completely unproven one (unless of course you're one of the apparently all knowing internet haters who really should be testifying before the grand jury given their intricate and detailed knowledge of exactly what went on, in which case there's seemingly no point in a trial due to the 'obviousness' of it all), whilst Ricco and Vinokourov where proven dopers.

Again, it seems association with Armstrong makes you out to be the Anti-Christ , and for what? Because you think (sorry 'Know') Armstrong was doping? Strange logic.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
7 World championship golds

2 world records

He is rubbish

Granted will never win a GT...but then i am sure that Bertie, schleck et al wont win 3 olympic golds either

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
SC1990 said:
Again, it seems association with Armstrong makes you out to be the Anti-Christ

Anti-Christ? Naah. Naive, uncritical, and unwilling to see the obvious when it's right there in front of ya, I'd say.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Again, another cyclist who will disappear by the first mountain stage in next year's Tour and no one will care what he's talking about.

And we can look forward to being inundated with proclamations on how he's aiming to center his whole season around the Tour from now until next July, except this year he's going to do it differently.

Because the dingleberries at Sky finally came to grips with what everyone except the most arrogant riders and director sportifs have known for years-you can't do the Giro AND the Tour and expect great results in both. You'll wind up like Wiggo last year-doing nothing in either race.

this is simply untrue. As with US riders and the publications dediacted to cycling people are romantic about their stars. We spend time caring about what coffee Tommy D enjoys..or that CVV is recharged and ready for the upcoming year when the reality is that they sucked last year. Wiggins understands the sport and knows no matter where you fall on the issue of Armstrong all the hype surrounding him has helped sponsorship and salary values for pros. Wiggo may have bought into the bubble and played pretend that he was climber ..you can't blame the guy, 1000's of people telling you that it was possible and believing the positive. Sky's influence on British cycling can't be understimated..hype yes..dingleberries absolutely..all of it very profitable for the people riding the wave. Wiggo is getting more requests for everything and probably more start money than at anytime in his career..stop looking behind the curtain and let the guy really nurse this Skyhyper thing until it dries up..and you are probably right it's going to dry up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
this is simply untrue. As with US riders and the publications dediacted to cycling people are romantic about their stars. We spend time caring about what coffee Tommy D enjoys..or that CVV is recharged and ready for the upcoming year when the reality is that they sucked last year. Wiggins understands the sport and knows no matter where you fall on the issue of Armstrong all the hype surrounding him has helped sponsorship and salary values for pros. Wiggo may have bought into the bubble and played pretend that he was climber ..you can't blame the guy, 1000's of people telling you that it was possible and believing the positive. Sky's influence on British cycling can't be understimated..hype yes..dingleberries absolutely..all of it very profitable for the people riding the wave. Wiggo is getting more requests for everything and probably more start money than at anytime in his career..stop looking behind the curtain and let the guy really nurse this Skyhyper thing until it dries up..and you are probably right it's going to dry up.

how can you attribute the increased salaries to Armstrong. I bet ex riders USPS/Discovery can tell some stories about not getting bonus money, late payments of wages and if you left the team you got none of the bonuses from the previous year.

i dont why wigans should turn in an a$$hole to ride the 'skyhyper' till it dries up.

SC1990 said:
of course, the one minor problem with this argument is that the idea that Armstrong ran a doping ring and was doped to the eyeballs is a completely unproven one (unless of course you're one of the apparently all knowing internet haters who really should be testifying before the grand jury given their intricate and detailed knowledge of exactly what went on, in which case there's seemingly no point in a trial due to the 'obviousness' of it all), whilst Ricco and Vinokourov where proven dopers.

Again, it seems association with Armstrong makes you out to be the Anti-Christ , and for what? Because you think (sorry 'Know') Armstrong was doping? Strange logic.

For my part, I don't want to get bogged down in the Armstrong case. My point was that, regardless of the way we choose to look at Armstrong's history, yapping about him and having him on the cover could be, if not an outright endorsement, one way of selling more copies this Christmas, especially to the 'casual interest' demographic. I'm not saying they've been that cynical, but the cover doesn't help.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
SC1990 said:

The evidence that Lance ran a doping ring is actually quite compelling. It's called circumstantial evidence and people are convicted of murder for it all the time and get sentenced to life in prison.

If you don't know by now that Lance Armstrong was a major league doper who was doped to the gills during every one of his Tour wins, then you evidently have not been paying attention to the facts. Not only does everybody in cycling know that Lance was a major league doper, but the evidence is overwhelming that he was.

BTW, how do you explain those 8 positive EPO tests from the '99 Tour? Oh, that's right, the female lab techs who don't even follow cycling and have no idea who rider #147837 is intentionally contaminated his samples, did so on consecutive days, and just so happened to guess it was Lance because they are 'jealous' that a French rider didn't win the Tour. I'd love to see the jury who would buy that garbage.

SC1990 said:

Seriously, people are still using the 'hater' term in regards to defending Lance, I thought considering the fact there is a federal investigation into doping centred around doping at US Postal, that the term 'hater' had been redefined as 'non-idiot' in cycling terms.

What this guy is suggesting is that the only people who are doping are those that give up postivie tests. That mindset is like sooo 10 years ago.

Fact is Wiggins was super vocal in slamming dopers a few years back, especially when his team-mate went positive but he is now best buddies with a guy who was found to have EPO in his system, has serious allegations against him from a former team-mate and is currently under investigation for doping.

As usual, its not the association, its the hypocrisy of it.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Seriously, people are still using the 'hater' term in regards to defending Lance, I thought considering the fact there is a federal investigation into doping centred around doping at US Postal, that the term 'hater' had been redefined as 'non-idiot' in cycling terms.

What this guy is suggesting is that the only people who are doping are those that give up postivie tests. That mindset is like sooo 10 years ago.

Fact is Wiggins was super vocal in slamming dopers a few years back, especially when his team-mate went positive but he is now best buddies with a guy who was found to have EPO in his system, has serious allegations against him from a former team-mate and is currently under investigation for doping.

As usual, its not the association, its the hypocrisy of it.

HATER-2.jpg

SC1990 said:
3 Olympic Gold medals?

Rubertow said:
7 World championship golds

2 world records

He is rubbish

Granted will never win a GT...but then i am sure that Bertie, schleck et al wont win 3 olympic golds either

are they all individual?
I'm guessing that you're referring to track racing as it'd be hard to clock all that up as some junior road or mtb rider, but fair's fair... I'll pay that

Archibald said:
are they all individual?
I'm guessing that you're referring to track racing as it'd be hard to clock all that up as some junior road or mtb rider, but fair's fair... I'll pay that

The fact that you have to ask that is indicative of the clueless nature of most the posters here.

May 22, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
The evidence that Lance ran a doping ring is actually quite compelling. It's called circumstantial evidence and people are convicted of murder for it all the time and get sentenced to life in prison.

If you don't know by now that Lance Armstrong was a major league doper who was doped to the gills during every one of his Tour wins, then you evidently have not been paying attention to the facts. Not only does everybody in cycling know that Lance was a major league doper, but the evidence is overwhelming that he was.

BTW, how do you explain those 8 positive EPO tests from the '99 Tour? Oh, that's right, the female lab techs who don't even follow cycling and have no idea who rider #147837 is intentionally contaminated his samples, did so on consecutive days, and just so happened to guess it was Lance because they are 'jealous' that a French rider didn't win the Tour. I'd love to see the jury who would buy that garbage.

Yet with all this 'overwhelming' evidence, he is still allowed to ride the tour, and still hasn't had any charges brought against him...hmm. But i guess that's because he 'owns the sport' and is 'connected' right?

And the 8 positive EPO tests? The same ones that an independent investigation cleared him of? The ones that where spuriously retested and claimed to be his by a newspaper? Right. But I'm sure I've just fallen for the 'Pharmstrong propoganda machine.' Seriously, the whole thing is pathetic. Whatever the outcome, it will run for ever: both sides are so ingrained in their own 'evidence', most of which has been aggrandised and made into truth from rumour and wild speculation, so there's no way they're going to admit they're wrong, and both will claim 'conspiracy'. I can't see why the hell people continue to bring it up as such.