• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brailsford/Kimmage Interview

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
yates

Digger said:
Well I was replying to an earlier post, and my point is that Kimmage had no problem in praising clean riders. In his book, Kimmage makes specific references to the times they shared a room with Fagor, and how asbolutely clean he was. He praised Yates.
Now, his work with Disco is the antithesis of this, but to say that Kimmage only focuses on the negative is not true or fair.

i dont disagree Digger. one scenario is that yates rode "clean", wanted to stay in cycling, saw the writing on the wall, and held his nose while at Disco.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
eigenvalu2 said:
i dont disagree Digger. one scenario is that yates rode "clean", wanted to stay in cycling, saw the writing on the wall, and held his nose while at Disco.

...and CSC, and Astana. That's a long time to hold one's nose. And mouth.

But I wasn't arguing your point, Digger, about Kimmage. Just making (again) my argument that Brailsford and Sky's "only pure clean people need apply" BS is just that. I think Sky's decided to hold their own noses in a few instances.

A

Anonymous

filipo said:
...and CSC, and Astana. That's a long time to hold one's nose. And mouth.

But I wasn't arguing your point, Digger, about Kimmage. Just making (again) my argument that Brailsford and Sky's "only pure clean people need apply" BS is just that. I think Sky's decided to hold their own noses in a few instances.

so your suggestion for sean when he finished riding was to go and sit in his armchair and have nothing further to do with it, because be associating with any pro team you are endorsing doping?

as for him at sky, massively respected, almost unrivalled experience in the current pro arena, and brilliant DS

as a rider, that 94 tour was wonderful, just a shame he wore yellow the day after it left england.. (of course the year that boardman lost yellow the day before it came to england)

bobbins said:
Maybe because Kimmage is a sad bitter failed bike rider who has a grudge against the sport and sees only the worst things rather than applaud the efforts being made to clean it up.

Remember he is an ex-doper just like Millar except he didn't lose his livelihood admitting it, he profited from it.

youve read his book then?

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
so your suggestion for sean when he finished riding was to go and sit in his armchair and have nothing further to do with it, because be associating with any pro team you are endorsing doping?

You're putting words into my mouth. I said nothing of the sort. For starters, he didn't work for "any pro team." He worked for CSC, Disco, and Astana. Three of the biggest doper teams of the decade, if you ask me. WHy not work for someone with a better anti-doping program, or at least a better anti-doping facade? Why, if he was so super clean, did he not open his mouth and say something about it? Or even keep his mouth shut but work with ADAs or other orgs to combat the doping he must have known was going on (and, as he surely knows, continues)?

And yeah, if you work for a doped team, you condone doping. It's not that complicated.

as for him at sky, massively respected, almost unrivalled experience in the current pro arena, and brilliant DS

as a rider, that 94 tour was wonderful, just a shame he wore yellow the day after it left england.. (of course the year that boardman lost yellow the day before it came to england)

Look, you can be a fan of someone and still call them on their faults. I love Yates -- man, I even pushed my brake hoods way down and eschewed STI until this century. He was a terrific rider, an excellent teammate, pure power, pure class. And my argument is not directly with Yates -- it's with this whole Sky/Brailsford B.S. of "we won't hire anyone who's had anything to do with doping." It's crap. It's PR. But again, if Yates worked for doper teams, he condones (or at least condoned) doping.

For the record, I also think Garmin's got a load of crap on it as well. (VDV: USPS, CSC, LS, etc.) But I think Vaughters's position is slightly more believable: You may have doped then, with them; you're not doping now, with us.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Just one last thing.

An outspoken critic of doping within professional cycling Kimmage questioned Brailsford's reasons for developing the Team Sky project given his direct experience of doping within the sport.

God*damn* cyclingnews needs to learn how to write.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
filipo said:
Just one last thing.

God*damn* cyclingnews needs to learn how to write.

when was it, 2008 Tour? Kimmage wrote about an ex-teammate, obviously Yates, working as a DS, who looked daggers at him... no longer a friendship.

So there was a gulf between Yates and Kimmage. No real surprise why.

NB, Kimmage did not name Yates. But you could narrow it down to 1.

Digger said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article6926944.ece

Me: “Question: Is there a difference between doing the right thing and being seen to do the right thing?”

Him: “Good point — the only way is to do the right thing regardless of being seen or not.”

Me: “Just thinking out loud . . .”

Him: “I agree with your thoughts but it is hopefully the one thing I will do, ie have a value-and-belief system and actually live by it!”

Me: “Here’s my take on it: you did the right thing by standing by David in Biarritz. You are being seen to do the right thing by not signing him now.”

He does not reply.

All I want to comment is that Brailsford's position is as fake as LA/JB saying they want to apologize to Berto and give him the leadership of the Shack...

blackcat said:
when was it, 2008 Tour? Kimmage wrote about an ex-teammate, obviously Yates, working as a DS, who looked daggers at him... no longer a friendship.

So there was a gulf between Yates and Kimmage. No real surprise why.

NB, Kimmage did not name Yates. But you could narrow it down to 1.

Yip that was Yates, because Kimmage said explicitly that this guy was one of the good guys when he rode, and he wondered where it had all changed.

Good point. Didn't realize I would be expected to watch the topic and respond to any question posed!

The Brailsford interview was pretty honest and it's just a shame that people are reading all kinds of nonsense into it. I guess they need to do some work their inner-chimps ;)

bobbins said:
Good point. Didn't realize I would be expected to watch the topic and respond to any question posed!

The Brailsford interview was pretty honest and it's just a shame that people are reading all kinds of nonsense into it. I guess they need to do some work their inner-chimps ;)

So you can't address the questions I asked specifically to you. No bother. That's a shame, considering your claims of him being a bitter has been who never made it....:rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

Digger said:
So you can't address the questions I asked specifically to you. No bother. That's a shame, considering your claims of him being a bitter has been who never made it....:rolleyes:

its ok, he hasnt asked my question as to wether hes read kimmages book either.. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
So you can't address the questions I asked specifically to you. No bother. That's a shame, considering your claims of him being a bitter has been who never made it....

dimspace said:
its ok, he hasnt asked my question as to wether hes read kimmages book either.. ;)

What books have you read? Sorry, don't see the relevance in that question.

don't get so worked up that someone can't be bothered to answer your questions.

Build yourself a bridge.

Then get over it.

bobbins said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
So you can't address the questions I asked specifically to you. No bother. That's a shame, considering your claims of him being a bitter has been who never made it....

What books have you read? Sorry, don't see the relevance in that question.

don't get so worked up that someone can't be bothered to answer your questions.

Build yourself a bridge.

Then get over it.

"Maybe because Kimmage is a sad bitter failed bike rider who has a grudge against the sport".

So are you in the habit of accusing people of being bitter etc with nothing to back that up?
Maybe if you had a better knowledge of the person in question, of his writings, you would not make such bad natured and such illinformed remarks.

When Kimmage interviews Nadal and talks about drugs in tennis and athletes implicated in Operation Puerto then maybe I'll consider him a credible sports journalist.

While he continues to knock cycling alone he only adds to my thoughts about him. Bear in mind that he has admitted to cheating in cycling, the what extent only he knows but I'm sure I'm not the only one who treats admissions such as 'only tried it once' with suspicion.

bobbins said:
When Kimmage interviews Nadal and talks about drugs in tennis and athletes implicated in Operation Puerto then maybe I'll consider him a credible sports journalist.

While he continues to knock cycling alone he only adds to my thoughts about him. Bear in mind that he has admitted to cheating in cycling, the what extent only he knows but I'm sure I'm not the only one who treats admissions such as 'only tried it once' with suspicion.

facts wrong again by you

How do you respond to criticism from cycling fans that it’s always their sport being dragged through the mud with regard to doping? What about football or athletics? It’s a fair question. In my defence, in 1996 we had a triple Olympic gold-medal swimmer called Michelle de Bruin here. She was the biggest personality in the
history of Irish sport. When she won those Olympics medals I was in no doubt that she was using drugs and wrote a very critical piece. Subsequently, she was caught and banned for life.

In 1996, and for two years until she was exposed, I continued to write those pieces and got a hard time for it. I interviewed [Spanish tennis player] Rafael Nadal two weeks ago in Hamburg. Before I went to meet him I looked into who his trainer was and I tried to get some sort of conclusive evidence that he was in the Operation Puerto files but I couldn’t get my hands on it. All I could do was ask him the question and all he did was give me a not very satisfactory response. It’s not only cycling with me. Whenever there are grounds to ask the question, I do so.

From reading his interviews in the Sunday Times he doesn't always ask other sportsmen or women the difficult questions; there is plenty out there with regards to athletes named in the Puerto investigation for example and he hasn't really gone after any of them despite what you may think.

He's admitted to cheated in cycling so forgive me for thinking that he may be tempted to cheat in other careers.

bobbins said:
From reading his interviews in the Sunday Times he doesn't always ask other sportsmen or women the difficult questions; there is plenty out there with regards to athletes named in the Puerto investigation for example and he hasn't really gone after any of them despite what you may think.
He's admitted to cheated in cycling so forgive me for thinking that he may be tempted to cheat in other careers.

When there is evidence showing that he has, then I do think differently.

bobbins said:

Evidence or examples of him having cheated in his other career.

bobbins said:

Eventhough he has won the Interviewer of the year award four times in the UK. And he is known the world over for his anti doping stance.

TRENDING THREADS